Menu

Trying to make some course choices for next year, Bio+Lab ?'s

I need to start planning for next year and I'm undecided on what we're going to do for DS for Science.  We did a light Bio a couple years ago for 8th but I feel like we didn't really cover it well enough to count for High School so Biology is one of my options.  If I do choose it, we'll probably go with either E.O Wilson or Campbell C&C.  I need a lab course to go with it. The biggest hurdle is that I can not do any dissections or even purchase a kit that includes dissections (Vegan DD will have a fit).  I have the guide for Illustrated Home Bio but I really want something else.... not quite so much microscope work, or maybe just simpler labs? I have a great microscope but we've done that to death.  I'd like a lab manual that I can pick and choose from.  I want to do genetic, evolution, ecology, and a few biochem type labs.... it must be secular.... any ideas?

I don't have any kind of resource to share, but you might try searching for labs online.  This may be a good option especially if you have an idea about particular types/subject labs you want to cover. 

My current 11th grader loves biology.  On his own, he covered much of a high school biology over the course of several years.  For his biology credit, he is using a Thinkwell CD set that I got off of Amazon.  Thinkwell does not include labs, so I went online to try to match labs to related content in Thinkwell.  He has finished the coursework, and we're going to focus on labs for the rest of the year.

Based on labs I found, you probably won't find "hard" labs.... they tend to be rather basic, and certainly doable at home.  

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama
  • Like 1

Pendarvis and Crawley for the biology lab. Tons to pick and choose from, you can obtain it cheaply used, and it aligns perfectly with most standard biology texts.

I need to start planning for next year and I'm undecided on what we're going to do for DS for Science. We did a light Bio a couple years ago for 8th but I feel like we didn't really cover it well enough to count for High School so Biology is one of my options. If I do choose it, we'll probably go with either E.O Wilson or Campbell C&C. I need a lab course to go with it. The biggest hurdle is that I can not do any dissections or even purchase a kit that includes dissections (Vegan DD will have a fit). I have the guide for Illustrated Home Bio but I really want something else.... not quite so much microscope work, or maybe just simpler labs? I have a great microscope but we've done that to death. I'd like a lab manual that I can pick and choose from. I want to do genetic, evolution, ecology, and a few biochem type labs.... it must be secular.... any ideas?

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 2

The $7 one has been sold, but here is a link to one for $11:

https://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Biology-Laboratory-Murray-Pendarvis/dp/0895827999/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490798808&sr=8-2&keywords=pendarvis+and+crawley+biology+laboratory

huh, I looked yesterday and all the used ones were in the $45 and up range.... maybe I'm looking at the wrong book?

• Like 2

That's really weird, I've looked at that book same picture, same description everything but until I followed your link the cheapest one was $39.  Thanks for the link, I'm going to put it in my cart.

• Like 1

That's really weird, I've looked at that book same picture, same description everything but until I followed your link the cheapest one was $39.  Thanks for the link, I'm going to put it in my cart.

Sometimes with textbooks especially, Amazon does funky tabs so that you have to dig a bit to get to the used books.

• Like 1