Menu

GPA as numerical value, not 4.0 scale & how to weight?

Our local state Us seem to be looking for GPA based on a 0-100 scale, not 4.0 scale.

Their merit scholarship ranges go by 90-92, 93-95,95+, etc

So, I'm figuring ds's this way, not by A,B,C,D = 3.5 etc

But, I'm not sure what to do about his DE class grades, which are As, no number given.

I'd like to weight them for the schools that accept weighted grades.

But I can't figure out how to combine number grades with letter grades for a weighted GPA. (Feeling dumb, I Admit)

Now I know why I never became a guidance counselor on purpose..

Edited by Hilltopmom

Ds got actual final averages in his DE classes. They aren't on the transcript, but they were on the online portal for each class. Or I guess you can figure them from test scores and syllabus. I used his actual DE class grades where I had to have 0-100 scale grades.

• Like 1

Ds got actual final averages in his DE classes. They aren't on the transcript, but they were on the online portal for each class. Or I guess you can figure them from test scores and syllabus. I used his actual DE class grades where I had to have 0-100 scale grades.

OH, I do have those too,but then his actual transcript from the CC only shows letter grade. So I thought it would look odd to use number for GPA but have letter on transcript. Hmm.

OH, I do have those too,but then his actual transcript from the CC only shows letter grade. So I thought it would look odd to use number for GPA but have letter on transcript. Hmm.

Hmmm, maybe it's odd. I saw my high school transcript as the "high school credit" part of DE. Since our state does 0-100 grades on high school transcript, I used his exact grade from the college classes. So I gave more information than the college transcript, but it was consistent.

• Like 1

The local public high school grades on a 0-100 scale.  AP and DE classes are weighted by a 1.1 multiplier (Thus a 90 is a 99 in a weighted GPA and a 100 is a 110 in a weighted GPA).  However, that is ONLY for classes taken while in that district.  If a student attended the most rigorous high school in the country in 9 and 10 grade and took AP or DE classes there then moved into the district, those classes taken before moving into the district would NOT be weighted.  I know some students who have moved into the district and missed out on class ranks and scholarships because of this.  If the previous school only assigned letter grades, an A is calculated as a 95.

Are you sure the univ wants the grades in that format, or is that one example that they show.  Do you know how your local public schools report grades?

Local schools report numerical values, no letter grades.

All merit aid given by our state Us go by "above 90", etc values.

I'll call (or email) the U's, I just can't decide on my own.

For summer program apps we're sending out this week, I'm just converting everything to letter grades, easier.