Menu

First time horseback riding

TrulySusan

Our family will be visiting Yellowstone this summer. We are planning to schedule a horseback ride and I am trying to decide between the 1 hour and 2 hour versions. Youngest person will be 13. We have 1 person with a fair amount of riding experience, but the rest of us are first-timers.

So, one or two hours? I want to do the two hour ride, but I don't want everyone to be too tired, sore, etc. afterward. We aren't very athletic, but not really out of shape either.

Please help me decide. The schedules are filling up fast!

Do the two hour ride. One hour is thirty minutes out and thirty minutes back, but in reality the return time is less. Trail horses are slow to leave and quick to return. Two hours will let you see the park and most likely the horses will follow the guide horse so experience won't matter as much.

• Like 1

Two hours - the horses will amble along, but you WILL be saddle sore the next day.  Part of the experience ;-).  Note, if there is bad weather they will cancel on you.  We had a riding reservation that got cancelled AFTER a heavy rain, as the trail would have been just too muddy/slippery, and there was a chance a distant rumble of thunder might spook a horse (that is what we were told).  So keep fingers crossed, and plan an alternative adventure just in case. 

If you have not been to Yellowstone before, allow DOUBLE the time you think you need to get to the stable on time.  You never know when Mr. Bison will decide to stand in the road and calmly stop traffic as long as he durn well pleases. 

• Like 1

We rode in Island Park Idaho and enjoyed it. I would do the 2 hours. Get there early. Wear long pants and depending on terrain possibly a long sleeve shirt. Boots with a heel if possible but avoid hiking boots with thick tread. Absolutely no flip flops or sandals.

• Like 3