Menu

Alternative to Singapore Math

My 10yo DD is in 5th grade. We have been using SM since the beginning. I love it. I love that the way it explains things and the concrete, pictoral, abstract appoach. I love that it doesn't teach rote memorization of algorithms but teaches the concepts first. It works great for all of my DC - except my 10yo. We are starting the final review of 4A tomorrow and I will more than likely have to sit with her and go through most of the problems with her, reteaching half of it. She's just not getting it. When we do finally get to the point where she understands a topic we come back around to something new and she's completely forgotten it. This week she's forgotten how to subtract with regrouping. She also has mostly forgotten how to multiply two digit numbers. And multi-step word problems?...just not happening. I need something else. I probably should have tried something else a while ago.

What else is out there? I haven't even looked at anything else since I found SM 5+ years ago. I want something that explains the "why" and not just the "how". I think we need something more incremental and with more review. Something not as challenging maybe? (I hate to say that. I love math and love the challenge of SM but this child is not mathy AT ALL and I'm starting to think that challenging is not right for her.) I really don't want to use Saxon. That's the only other math program that I really know anything about and I think we'd hate it. What's the slower, smaller steps, more review version of SM?

More incremental version of SM = Math Mammoth.  Very flexible.  You may want to add in your own review as needed.  (There are cumulative chapter reviews but I'm guessing you think you may need more than that.)

It sounds like you'd want to start with 4A, going faster or slower wherever needed.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

I found it was easier to add any missing conceptual to a really good spiral program.

I used CLE (love the spiral), and then added any conceptual that was missing. We switched 1/2 way through 5th grade. I haven't had to add nearly as much conceptual teaching as I expected to need. I used Singapore FAN math Process Skills and Problem Solving with CLE. It benefits from the Singapore word problems, and the FAN math is short enough to add to another program without overloading. CLE has worked really well here.

• Like 1

Which of the Singapore Primary Math books are you using? When I used solely Singapore, I used the textbook and workbook and then added the Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problem books, but used them a half-level behind.  You could use the Extra Practice books that way, adding in spiral review. I also used Cuisinare rods and fraction blocks and any other manipulatives I could find that would support what was being taught. Turns out most of my kids didn't need all of that, but there were definitely challenging topics here and there when I was thankful to have this stuff on hand. Take it with a grain of salt, as always YMMV. Good luck!

I had to switch one of my DC (who is not mathy) to math u see as it was more incremental and clearer. I love SM and am using it for the other 3. I own all of MM, but had to leave it for SM. 

Math u see has built in review and I am able to go quickly through a lesson that is review, but slow down on lessons that are tougher for them. You could give a placement test and see where they are.