Geography: Evan-Moor Daily Practice

History: SOTW 

German: system based on "Fluent Forever"

Art: Child size Masterpieces and Atelier DVD

Science: Mystery Science and TOPS systems

Bible: Telling God's Story

Phys Ed: Gymnastics, Ballet, Swimming

Reading/Religion:

will read from The Life of Our Lord by M. Hunt and Our Life with Jesus (Faith and Life series) aloud to practice reading fluency

Writing:

Narrations for history and science; copywork and dictation from FLL3 and Our Life with Jesus

Grammar:

FLL3

Math:

Math Mammoth 4a and 4b

Xtra Math

Spelling:

The Writing Road to Reading (Spalding Method)

Literature:

Mom reads aloud children's versions of the classics including Don Quixote, Robinson Crusoe, Gulliver's Travels.

Dad reads Fairy tales at bedtime (Andersen and Perrault)

Geography:

Homemade map work for US physical features, and States and Capitals.

Daily Geography 4

History: Early Modern using

SOTW 3

The Catholic Faith Comes to the Americas

The American Story series by Betsy Maestro

Science:

Elemental Science Chemistry for the Grammar Stage

Latin:

Getting Started with Latin

Morning Time:

Hymns

Learn the Mysteries of the Rosary

Classically Catholic Memory timeline

Picture Study on Giotto and Fra Angelico

Poetry of Robert Frost

SQUILT Bach and...?

Art 4 Kids Hub (youtube drawing channel)

Edited by carriede

I'm still working out our 3rd grade plans but this is the list so far.

Grammar: MCT (we are currently 3/4 through Island)

Spelling: SWO (finishing up B & starting C in the fall)

Handwriting: Z-B starting on cursive. I would like to add some copywork/dictation this year but kind of flounding on where/how to start.

Reading: We don't have anything formal. We read alot of books. Some about our history subject each week. Dad reads him Rush Revere at bedtime. We are working through Little Cabin in the Big Woods as a read aloud with his brothers. He loves to read from our Complete Calvin & Hobbes set.

Math: SM (Standards Edition). We are starting 2B next week after our May/June break. Goal is to finish through 3B by next Summer. I'm planning to add BA in the fall. Not sure if we will start with level 3 or do 2 as it's released.

History: CC Cycle 3 & supplementing with living books & SOTW.

Science: CC Cycle 3 with supplements. Starting to look for a more structured curriculum. I'm eyeing BFOSU.

Art: Classes at our local Art Studio. They offer weekly daytime class to the homeschool community.

Music: Looking at starting him & his younger brother in Hoffman Acadamy.

Latin: Considering doing SSL with him & K level brother. I've never had any Latin so I feel the most unsecure in this department.

P.E.: Soccer again in the fall, moving up into U10 this season. Going to start back into weekly swim down in the big city. Also thinking of adding martial arts but don't want to be over scheduled. May do that between soccer seasons.

I vacilate between feeling like I'm not covering something & feeling like I'm over doing. He is my oldest & we have a 5 yr old & 3 yr old (all boys). Some days I feel like the biggest accomplishment is keeping them alive when they're benting on destruction. We do alot of outdoor play on our 16 acres of woods.

Edited by sarahsheart
  • Like 1

Our school year started a few weeks ago. What we're doing:

Grammar: VIE 3

Writing: WWE3 / IEW SWI-A / VIE 3--> not all at the same time

Handwriting: Handwriting D (cursive)

Reading: Catholic National Reader 3 and whatever readalouds we feel like reading

Math: Primary Math 3A and 3B + Intensive Practice

History: SOTW Ancients for the 2nd time with younger sister, along with history readalouds + our country's history

Science: We're going textbook (Science Fusion 3) along with science readalouds

Catechism: Faith and Life 3

We're dropping Latin this year to make room for a different 2nd language requirement from our Education Department and Social Studies.

Artistic Pursuits, piano, and swimming

We are going to keep on the same track next year as this year, so:

handwriting: continue cursive practice with Zaner-Bloser 3

spelling: Spelling Workout C

grammar: First Language Lessons 3

math: Singapore Math (Common Core Ed) 3A/3B (textbook, workbook, challenging word problems, and extra practice books)

science: general introduction to chemistry (haven't chosen spine yet)

history: Story of the World 3

literature: Classical House of Learning Literature (grammar stage Early Modern) 

morning time: religion, memory work, poetry, family read-alouds, etc.

Narration, copy work, and dictation are spread throughout the subjects. We will also include as many board/card games as we can, and will try to add in piano & spanish. I will have a Ker, a 3yr old, and a 1yr old in the fall, so we will see what gets done!

Final plan:

handwriting:  Zaner-Bloser 3

spelling: Spelling Workout C

grammar: First Language Lessons 3

math: Singapore Math (Common Core Ed) 3A/3B, finish up Beast Academy 3, and probably start BA4

science: Adventures with Atoms and Molecules 1 & 2, w/Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia

history: Story of the World 3

literature: Classical House of Learning Literature (grammar stage Early Modern) 

Latin: Little Latin Readers, primers A & B

morning time: religion, memory work, poetry, Shakespeare, artist & composer study from history time period, and family read-alouds.

Soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter, baseball in the spring, and looking into swim and/or scouts.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to update since my plans have changed some. My younger daughter has matured a lot and neither of them really want to work together at all. Plus I've learned more about other curricula and adjusted for their changing needs.

Daily:

Math - Shiller, second 1/4 book 2 and do book 3

Spanish - Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Spanish; Duolingo

Hebrew - Shalom Ivrit; various readers; Duolingo

Whole Person - Yoga and Meditate; Recorder

Weekly or on Loop:

MCT Island Level

Mosdos Opal

History Odyssey Early Modern

BFSU book 2 & MP Astronomy

MP Greek Mythology

Lively Latin Big Book 1

Tennis and Chess

Circle Time with sister: Music appreciation, artist study, poetry, Shakespeare, folksongs all done the CM way; readings of a Jewish studies nature; mapwork and timeline entries, Mystery Science, Draw the World by Draper with Evan Moor Daily Geography

My older daughter is a rising 3rd grader and it has taken me a very long time to piece things together for her. She has a younger sister who is starting 1st and I really wanted to work out some stuff for them to do together.

Daily:

Math - MEP 3; BA for fun

Reading - McGuffey 3 aloud

Writing - Getty-Dubay D

Spanish - Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Spanish; Duolingo

Hebrew - Shalom Ivrit; various readers; Duolingo

Whole Person - Yoga and Meditate; Piano

Weekly or on Loop:

LA - Primary Language Lessons(?); copywork

Lit - see note below

History - see note below

Science - BFSU 3-5; MP Astronomy

PE - Tennis

Logic - Chess; Logic Liftoff(?)

Afternoon Electives - Nature Study; McIntyre's Drawing Textbook; MP Greek Myths

Circle Time with sister: Music appreciation, artist study, poetry, Shakespeare, folksongs all done the CM way; readings of a Jewish studies nature; mapwork and timeline entries; Mystery Science

History & Lit note: The last two years we've done mashups of History Odyssey and Build Your Library for Ancients and Medieval. I basically did the order the HO way but combined the BYL resources. I also did BYL lit which I personally feel is the star of the BYL show. However, I'd planned to use Mosdos for a while so I wasn't sure I needed to keep on with BYL. At the same time, my younger daughter is a less motivated student than my older daughter and I thought it would be good to organize history for them together. As it is, the only science I plan for my first grader is Mystery Science with big sis and whatever library books she wants. In the meantime, since older DD has already started history, and younger DD is not ready for it, I have decided to skip history entirely this year in favor of a geography year. I'm taking the BYL Kindergarten program as my spine and doing that for my 1st grader with 3rd grader doing that stuff plus Evan Moore Daily Geography and enrichment from Janice Van Cleave's Geography for Every Kid. We'll also do various kits and games I've been collecting. The BYL K program does a lot of lit readalouds from different parts of the world so older DD will enjoy those and I'll pull copywork from those for her. It'll be less work for her than she usually does for history, but she's super interested in Classics, so this will give me time to figure out if I want to go the MP history route with her or not.

• Like 1

Goodness Gracious, 3rd grade!

Math: Singapore Math 4. And I'd like to add in some Beast Academy, but I don't know whether to do 2 or 3. I want to challenge her with problem solving, but for the math operations needed to already be well within her wheelhouse. 

Language: Evan Moor Daily Language Review 4

Geography: Evan Moor Daily Geography 4

Reading: She just reads...as long as she keeps reading we'll be fine. For read alouds I'd like Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Science and History: Kid-inspired, mom-designed units. We'll see what she's into next year... I'd like to cover plants though...

Writing: I'd like to introduce your standard 3rd grade formats. How tos, Pursuasive, Compare/Contrast, etc. I'd love to find something easy for that...

Spelling: Evan Moor Daily Spelling 3 - Maybe? I'm not sure Two is working that well...

She'll continue Girl Scouts, Gymnastics, Aerial, and co op. 

I'm still working on writing. Hoping the WriteSource student handbook does what I want. 

History I'm knee deep in planning out American History over the next two years. I've already got our Native American unit planned out, and it's AMMMAAAZING. E is begging me to get started early.

Science I think we're doing oceans, space, and magnets, to follow along with co op. Not sure whats on the egenda for the second semester yet.  

• Like 1

Math:

Beast Academy 3 days a week

MEP twice a week

Primary Grade Challenge Math once a week

Science:

Elemental Science:

Chemistry for the Grammar Stage (not planning to finish it in one year)

Earth Science and Astronomy for the Grammar Stage (not planning to finish it in one year)

A Unit on human body:

Human Body grades 2-3 (Carson Dellosa)

The Body Book (Scholastic)

The Quark Chronicles Anatomy

Grammar: FLL 3

Reading Comprehension:

180 Days of Reading for Thirds Grade

KS2 English Comprehension Age 7-9

Spelling: AAS 4-5

Geography: The complete book of maps and geography (finishing from previous years) + various books on UK

History: SOTW Vol. 1

French:

Zoom 2

Grammaire Prograssive du Français pour les Adolescents

a lesson on Italki with a native speaker once a week

Piano:

Michael Aaron Piano Course: Lessons, Grade 4

Jazz Piano Pieces Grade 4

Music Theory for Young Musicians Grade 2

Coding: https://studio.code.org/home

Typing: https://www.typingclub.com/