Menu

How does Jann in Texas Math (myhomeschoolmathclass) compare?

Hello,

Can those who's kids have taken Jann in Texas math classes share your experiences including any pros/cons? I've considered her courses for either of our daughters as one possibility. While I've have heard generally good reviews for the most part, I've never really seen any comparisons with other vendors. We have used Derek Owens and Wilson Hill Academy which both have their benefits.

We love WHA for their interactive, live components, for example, among other things. They use Canvas and have live discussions, chat and video as well as live input with an electronic pen/tablet during the 90 minutes sessions. Derek Owens has no live interaction and is asynchronous. Both offer expert, gifted teachers who are passionate about their work. Both base their materials upon classic textbooks for the most part. DO has replaced most texts with his own material. While I know Jann uses Lials, I do not know much more about the format, presentation, 'live' interactive aspects, etc... How does the live part work? And if you've taken other outside courses, how does it compare with other online vendors?

Thanks,

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 1

We're using Mrs. Nowell's geometry class. Looks like Jann hired Mrs. Nowell on to help this past year, so now MyHomeschoolMathClass has two teachers.

My son isn't the sort of kid who loves hitting the books. He does what he has to do to get the work done. He has ADHD, so it can be hard for him to focus.

However, he's getting an A in Mrs. Nowell's geometry class. There have been only two times so far this year where he didn't quite understand an entire concept. Mrs. Nowell was right on top of it offering to help as soon as I let her know he was struggling. The one time, I had him rewatch the lesson and he got it. The other time he chose to wait and ask her about it during the next teaching session and he was fine after that. But she was willing to walk him through it one-on-one between classes if he'd wanted. And his struggling was early in the year. I think he's understanding better how to focus and learn online. It's different from working with Mom in person.

This year has been so painless for math. As far as I know, he's learning, being that the tests are based on the work in the book and he gets an A every test, so something is sticking long enough for the tests.

He works steadily through his homework and he doesn't get all the homework questions right the first time around. I make him re-work them until they're right, but he always manages to do so, only rarely having one that completely stumps him. I think he's had under 10 this entire year that he Could Not figure out on his own. Ten or so problems out of hundreds so far that he couldn't rework and figure out on his own. He doesn't get overly frustrated while he's working on his homework, so overall he seems to be understanding the work. (He only gets frustrated when he runs into one of those ten problems he just Can't Figure Out.)

I am 100% signing him up with MyHomeschoolMathClass next year for Algebra II. Either teacher will be fine with me. I've read non-stop good reviews about Jann and now I can give an excellent review for Mrs. Nowell.

The sessions are 1 hour, twice a week. Kids can join the group a few minutes before class starts to type "hi" to each other.

He can see what's she's writing, and hear what she's saying, but doesn't see her.

He doesn't have a tablet or pen to write to her.

The students type in responses and everyone can see the typed responses.

There is time spent at the beginning of each class to go over any homework problems the kids struggled with.

She gives them homework and the answer key is provided as well. I simply check his answer against the key and tell him if it's right or wrong. I'm not expected to teach at all. There have been a few where I dimly remember the concept from my own school days and I've given him tips to get the problem done, but mostly he is learning entirely on his own. (Such a relief for me.)

• Like 4

We're using Mrs. Nowell's geometry class. Looks like Jann hired Mrs. Nowell on to help this past year, so now MyHomeschoolMathClass has two teachers.

My son isn't the sort of kid who loves hitting the books. He does what he has to do to get the work done. He has ADHD, so it can be hard for him to focus.

However, he's getting an A in Mrs. Nowell's geometry class. There have been only two times so far this year where he didn't quite understand an entire concept. Mrs. Nowell was right on top of it offering to help as soon as I let her know he was struggling. The one time, I had him rewatch the lesson and he got it. The other time he chose to wait and ask her about it during the next teaching session and he was fine after that. But she was willing to walk him through it one-on-one between classes if he'd wanted. And his struggling was early in the year. I think he's understanding better how to focus and learn online. It's different from working with Mom in person.

This year has been so painless for math. As far as I know, he's learning, being that the tests are based on the work in the book and he gets an A every test, so something is sticking long enough for the tests.

He works steadily through his homework and he doesn't get all the homework questions right the first time around. I make him re-work them until they're right, but he always manages to do so, only rarely having one that completely stumps him. I think he's had under 10 this entire year that he Could Not figure out on his own. Ten or so problems out of hundreds so far that he couldn't rework and figure out on his own. He doesn't get overly frustrated while he's working on his homework, so overall he seems to be understanding the work. (He only gets frustrated when he runs into one of those ten problems he just Can't Figure Out.)

I am 100% signing him up with MyHomeschoolMathClass next year for Algebra II. Either teacher will be fine with me. I've read non-stop good reviews about Jann and now I can give an excellent review for Mrs. Nowell.

Garga,

Thanks for such a thorough review with so much detail. It really helps to better understand how the classes are run. Since there is very little on their website, it leaves a lot of room for guessing about the actually format. You've also really highlighted some of the key areas which I've heard are strengths like their willingness to help students who may struggle at times with math. Our middle dd really struggles with math and with DO we've had to wait sometimes up to two days to get a response to her questions. This is difficult when she needs help to move on to the next lesson as mathematic principles typically build upon each other. I think for kids who don't struggle as much this would not be a very big deal since they could eventually figure it out on their own. But for those who need more interaction and help it can pose a bigger challenge.

I'm glad to hear its going so well for you and your son. It really takes the pressure off mom and also the tension that it sometimes contributes to that relationship. The friction, tension, frustration and tears our middle dd experienced with my wife caught in the middle is for the most part gone now that we outsource math. I think we just need a bit more interaction/responsiveness from the instructor next year.

Thanks,

Edited by dereksurfs

We've used Jann's classes and DO's classes. MyHomeschoolMathClass worked very well for one of my kids, but was more of a mixed bag for another one. The one that didn't thrive as well with it is better with pre-recorded classes that she can start and stop and rewind as needed. We did find the Algebra II class using Lial's didn't go anywhere near as deep as DO's Algebra II. My dd who did Algebra II with Jann then spent 6 months running through DO's Algebra 2 before pre-calc, because there was so much in his that she hadn't done yet. That has set her math timetable back, unfortunately, so that we're now not sure she will have any calculus to put on her transcript yet when she applies for colleges.

A major pro of Jann's Algebra class is that she is very particular with how they show their work, which helped my dd establish really good habits with that. My second dd is doing Algebra I with DO, and there are no such requirements, so she doesn't do it. I can talk

to her about it all I want, but if she gets full credit on homework without showing work, she's going to continue to do that. OTOH, this could be a plus for some kids (like my 2nd dd) who have learning differences that cause showing work to be particularly challenging.

Kand,

Thank you so much for sharing some of the pros/cons. This really helps me in determining best fit for our middle dd who struggles with math more. I really appreciate hearing how it worked differently for each child as our kids are so different when it comes to math. I have been leaning so far toward WHA because of what an awesome experience it has been for ds. However, he is the math whiz/lover while dd is just the opposite and really struggles with math. So I need to think about her individually to tailor something which works best. Her experience with DO has been mixed this year as she really likes the instruction. However, we don't find the interaction and responsiveness enough when she needs some help. That is why we're considering other options like Jann's classes or WHA.

Edited by dereksurfs

Hello,

Can those who's kids have taken Jann in Texas math classes share your experiences including any pros/cons? I've considered her courses for either of our daughters as one possibility. While I've have heard generally good reviews for the most part, I've never really seen any comparisons with other vendors. We have used Derek Owens and Wilson Hill Academy which both have their benefits.

We love WHA for their interactive, live components, for example, among other things. They use Canvas and have live discussions, chat and video as well as live input with an electronic pen/tablet during the 90 minutes sessions. Derek Owens has no live interaction and is asynchronous. Both offer expert, gifted teachers who are passionate about their work. Both base their materials upon classic textbooks for the most part. DO has replaced most texts with his own material. While I know Jann uses Lials, I do not know much more about the format, presentation, 'live' interactive aspects, etc... How does the live part work? And if you've taken other outside courses, how does it compare with other online vendors?

Thanks,

Thanks for posting this dereksurfs. I'm going through the same questions right now, trying to decide between DO, Jan's, and WTMA. Very timely post! :) 

We're in the same boat with dd (12). We're plowing through Pre-A this year and hope to do Alg I on our own next year as well - then we'll be outsourcing beginning Geometry. I'm leaning toward WHA also, as we've also as you know enjoyed the experience so far - but like you, our kids are entirely different creatures. Will be interested to hear your decision.

• Like 2

A major pro of Jann's Algebra class is that she is very particular with how they show their work, which helped my dd establish really good habits with that.

Could you elaborate on this a bit?  What in particular does she require of her students when they show their work?  

Could you elaborate on this a bit?  What in particular does she require of her students when they show their work?  

My son is in one of her classes this year and yes she makes them show EVERY step.  No skipping, which my son hates but I have been trying to drill that in them for years and well he has to do it for her class or she counts off so yeah for that!  :) 

Can those who's kids have taken Jann in Texas math classes share your experiences including any pros/cons?

In regards to rigor, I can compare the two this year.  My oldest went through Derek Owens from Geometry-AP Calculus and I have been VERY pleased with his rigor and completeness.  My husband is a math major and was very impressed.  However, this format is not for everyone my middle son wants interaction and live participation so we were wary of using DO for him.  So with others recommendations we have tried Jann's math online this year. 

I am giving very honest feedback just because I would want it in making a very important decision in which way to go in math.  I feel that she does not give enough homework my son averages about 3 hours of work not counting time in class.  They rarely use the math book she gives most worksheets to complete for the week. He is doing really well, has an A in the course but I don't feel its thorough enough.  If your child is not very mathy than she is perfect for that child.  My son also complains that her voice is trying at times...:-/  We are trying to decide how to make the shift next year and struggling with the decision as well!  Tough decision!

HTH  :-)

• Like 3

Daijobu, I can answer that one. She has the students work in columns by folding the paper in half and going down each side of the paper. She is a stickler for that and for showing all the steps (for algebra). I tried getting my kids to show all their work and they never would, but they did it for her when they started taking math from Jann 3 years ago. I was amazed. And they stopped using pen because she told them not to use pen. I think she has other specifics on how to lay out their geometry homework as well. 

I would say that the ability to have one on one tutoring sessions when they are needed and the quick response you get with Jann, and now with Mrs. Nowell, are one of the big plusses of their classes - especially for students for whom math may not come easily. She truly cares for her students and wants them to succeed in math, and hopefully even enjoy math. 

• Like 3

My son is in one of her classes this year and yes she makes them show EVERY step.  No skipping, which my son hates but I have been trying to drill that in them for years and well he has to do it for her class or she counts off so yeah for that!  :)

Can those who's kids have taken Jann in Texas math classes share your experiences including any pros/cons?

In regards to rigor, I can compare the two this year.  My oldest went through Derek Owens from Geometry-AP Calculus and I have been VERY pleased with his rigor and completeness.  My husband is a math major and was very impressed.  However, this format is not for everyone my middle son wants interaction and live participation so we were wary of using DO for him.  So with others recommendations we have tried Jann's math online this year. 

I am giving very honest feedback just because I would want it in making a very important decision in which way to go in math.  I feel that she does not give enough homework my son averages about 3 hours of work not counting time in class.  They rarely use the math book she gives most worksheets to complete for the week. He is doing really well, has an A in the course but I don't feel its thorough enough.  If your child is not very mathy than she is perfect for that child.  My son also complains that her voice is trying at times...:-/  We are trying to decide how to make the shift next year and struggling with the decision as well!  Tough decision!

HTH  :-)

Homeschoolmom3, thank you so much for posting your honest feedback. Yes, it definitely helps!!! I know its not easy either when certain programs work so well for so many families and there are some real positives there. But if one only hears the praises it makes it more difficult to see the fuller picture and therefore make a proper assessment.

Let's face it. No program is perfect. Some really do shine in certain areas more than others and that's ok. My goal is to tailor our class selection for each unique child according to their learning needs. I'm attempting to provide them that 'just right' challenge. Too much and they become overwhelmed which hurts their self-esteem and they can shut down - forever hate math! Too little and they are not given the opportunity to really wrestle, stretch their minds and then learn to overcome. No one wants easy A's either only to experience real struggle later in life.

Thanks again!

Edited by dereksurfs

Daijobu, I can answer that one. She has the students work in columns by folding the paper in half and going down each side of the paper. She is a stickler for that and for showing all the steps (for algebra). I tried getting my kids to show all their work and they never would, but they did it for her when they started taking math from Jann 3 years ago. I was amazed. And they stopped using pen because she told them not to use pen. I think she has other specifics on how to lay out their geometry homework as well. 

I would say that the ability to have one on one tutoring sessions when they are needed and the quick response you get with Jann, and now with Mrs. Nowell, are one of the big plusses of their classes - especially for students for whom math may not come easily. She truly cares for her students and wants them to succeed in math, and hopefully even enjoy math. 

I think you've have succinctly summarized the benefits and best reasons to take Jann's classes. Thank you, Michelle.

• Like 3