Menu

fresh flowers at home?

ktgrok

Ok, this is maybe a dumb question. But I have a big open pumpkin make out of ceramic, and I think I got it as the container for a flower arrangement. I realized today, instead of wondering what to do with the silly thing, I could put flowers in it! I know, right? Only took me 2 years to figure that out, lol. 

Anyway, I can go buy some flowers, but should I just put water in the container, or floral foam, or??? The pumpkin is short and squat, not tall like a vase. 

Any thoughts? It looks like this (but with no flowers in it right now, obviously) http://www.teleflora.com/flower-arrangement/telefloras-country-pumpkin/p_t175-1a?srccode=PS_GS&promotion=PSGS15&cvosrc=ppc.googleshopping.T175-1A&gclid=CjwKEAjwv7HABRCSxfrjkJPnrWgSJAA45qA20S6oPp9zFbNp0cFGwrxx8lTDD9tC56qNJcW9xDtz0BoCICDw_wcB

SaveSave

I am thinking that the flowers are going to flop around without foam or something of that sort since the pot is short and wide open (I think I've seen some kind of gel used before as well). 

What about a small potted plant? You could keep the plant in it's own container, and then slipt it in and out of a decorative base seasonally. Right now, there are a lot of kolanchoe plants available. They are flowering, but you can keep them as houseplants. They are slow-growing, so you wouldn't outgrow your decorative pots that quickly. They are pretty easy care as well.  http://www.krismers.com/Kalanchoe_care.pdf

I am thinking that the flowers are going to flop around without foam or something of that sort since the pot is short and wide open (I think I've seen some kind of gel used before as well). 

What about a small potted plant? You could keep the plant in it's own container, and then slipt it in and out of a decorative base seasonally. Right now, there are a lot of kolanchoe plants available. They are flowering, but you can keep them as houseplants. They are slow-growing, so you wouldn't outgrow your decorative pots that quickly. They are pretty easy care as well.  http://www.krismers.com/Kalanchoe_care.pdf

LOVE that idea!!! So smart! 

I would do a potted plant. It will look really nice and last so mucb longer. That way you can leave it out through Thanksgiving, and then get a Christmas container for December, snowman for January and February, something heart shaped at Valentines, and something soringy for March through May all without buying more cut flowers.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants?&field_non_toxicity_value[0]=02&page=2

It looks like begonias might be safe. They are beautiful and come in a million different varieties. I also love african violets, but they do need just right conditions (if you have those conditions, they are EASY and will flower like crazy). 

The big thing is to check for the "right" light seasonally for the plant, make sure you don't put them near a source of extreme heat or cold (or you can get a waterproof seedling mat if you have to create a moderate, even environment), and to find out watering requirements. In the east, we have so many changes in humidity throughout the year that the watering requirements can be tricky as seasons change, but once you figure it out and remember that they will be more sensitive at seasonal shifts, you're good to go.