Menu

Pot roast in Instant Pot?

Laurie4b

I'd like to cook a basic pot roast in my Instant Pot. I do not want to cut it up in pieces. I want to throw the meat in there and have it cook till it's tender. 

I watched two different youtubes and one cook puts in a lot of liquid and basically boils the roast. I don't want a boiled pot roast. 

The other put in zero liquid. I thought you always had to add liquid or it wouldn't come to pressure. Can someone answer that for me? 

The way I have traditionally made pot roast is in a covered dish in the oven with about 1 inch of water on the bottom, so it steams, but doesn't boil.  I was thinking I could put some water in the Instant Pot to the same level (about 1 inch) and put the meat up on that basket-thingee and cook. 

The one who used all the water cooked hers in 25 min. The one who used no water cooked hers in 70 min. How long should I try? 

I always do the slow cooker without liquid, but yes, you need liquid in there to come up to pressure. I'd put about a cup of liquid in to start, so your roast doesn't burn and to get the pressure up. It will have a ton of liquid when you pull it out, which comes out of the meat.

Here's an official Instant Pot page on meat: http://instantpot.com/cooking-time/meat-poultry-beef-pork-and-lamb/

You can turn the pot to saute, and brown the meat before adding liquid and changing it to the meat setting for pressure cooking. I love being able to have a truly one pot meal.

Following! Laurie4b, please report back after dinner!

1 + cups of water  plus two 1 1/2 lb roasts were cooked to soft perfection after 70 min at pressure with no browning of the meat. (I avoid browning meat due to carcinogens. I have not found it to be a problem with pot roasts at all.) I let the steam out fast. Now I'm going to try to pressure cook the veges. I think one of the youtubes said 10 min so that's what I am trying. 

ETA: The onions were pretty mushy at that length of time. (They were medium cut in half) The carrots were done, but I would have liked them a little softer. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 3