Menu

Switching from RS Math to MUS?

We have been using RS math for 2 years, and I have a DS finishing Level B and a DD finishing level C. I really like lots of things about RS, and I do think the kids have done pretty well with it. But. I am really tired of feeling overwhelmed with math instruction. All the games/manipulatives/prep work area really just too much, and obviously those are the hallmarks of RS. Sigh. There's also the fact that I think the RS creator and I speak separate languages. Often I have to read things 3 times before I get what she wants me to say and do with the lessons.

I am really considering switching to MUS, but I am holding back because of reviews I've read which say that it's a bit light, a bit too easy, not strong enough on math sense, word problems, or mental math. Can anyone offer some feedback? I don't want to put my kids at a disadvantage, but I'm feeling pretty anxious about continuing to manage two levels of RS.

Really appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Angela

I switched from RS to MUS for just those reasons many years ago. I was, at the time, teaching 3 different levels and I just couldn't get it all done. And I didn't get it! It didn't click for me so I had trouble teaching the kids. I've been extremely happy for 9 years with MUS. I think it only seems light because it is explained clearly. My children have have no interest at all in "playing" with math. We just need to get through it for college requirements and to use the math for science.

My 2 boys went to ps for high school so they could play football. Their math teacher told me to keep using whatever I used for math with them, for the girls. She was impressed with the solid foundation they had.

• Like 1

MUS Alpha-Zeta is actually a pretty good program.  I used Beta-Zeta with my son when he needed a reset halfway through Saxon 7/6.  His arithmetic was solid after that.  I would not use MUS beyond Zeta (this is where it gets light) and would use a solid prealgebra book after Zeta (we went directly from Zeta to Jacobs Algebra and I see now that that was a mistake).

I expect that your kids could also step into Singapore pretty easily.  I recommend that you read the book Elementary Mathematics for Teachers if you intend to decide to do this as it will give you a solid overview of what the Singapore program is trying to do.

• Like 1