Menu

Moving from Teaching textbooks to Derek Owens

My son is currently finishing up Algebra I with Teaching Textbooks. I know some parents have issues with this program but I have found it works for us. HOWEVER I really need to move from CD roms to something that is online based, and every time I have contacted TT to ask what is up with plans to move across I have NEVER had a reply. So I have decided to look for something else for Algebra 2 and Geometry.

We are considering Derek Owens. My son is very good at maths but not so good at stuff like showing his working so I am very happy to outsource to a program that requires this. Rigorous is not a problem.   My only concern is that with TT there is a lot of review of previous concepts and problems reviewed each lesson, and I am told that is not the case with DO. Since my son is a relatively young learner and still not really used to taking notes, reviewing and studying for exams etc. I am worried I am setting him up to fail with DO. Is this a big issue or have other families found that their kids got the hang of reviewing stuff for themselves relatively easily? (and I realise he has to learn how to review and study! I just don't want to throw him in the deep end to flounder).

As far as I can tell, DO does not actually require the student to show their work.  He will give credit for just the answer.  However, he is generous with partial credit, so it is in the student's best interest to show work (because he can't give partial credit if there is no work).

I decided with my son (who has taken DO's courses at 2-3 years younger than typical ages) that I didn't want to use math lessons as lessons in executive skill development.  So I didn't have him take notes (I took them) and I orchestrated reviews myself when necessary.  One thing that helped with review is instead of doing the "homework" pages as they are assigned, I had my son do them as a review before the test.  So he would do the practice problems as they were assigned, the "homework" problems right before the test as review, and then the test.

Also, the DO geometry course uses Jacobs 3rd edition.  Of all the DO courses we have used or I have seen (prealgebra, Algebra I, geometry, Algebra II, and precalculus), it is BY FAR the hardest course.  There seemed to be a disconnect between DO's teaching (which is very good) and the problems assigned as homework (which could be MUCH more difficult than what was presented in the lectures) and then there was another disconnect between the problems assigned and the graded work (which was in line with the teaching).  I ended up having to assign multiple problems from Jacobs 2nd edition (which is much more straightforward), particularly proofs, and in the end, we completely abandoned the 3rd edition text in favor of the 2nd edition.  So I guess my point here is that going from TT to DO geometry might be a big leap, especially if you are expecting your son to work completely independently.  You may want to consider running through DO Algebra I quickly to get the hang of things and fill any gaps before moving to his geometry.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2

Thanks for the detailed reply

I decided with my son (who has taken DO's courses at 2-3 years younger than typical ages) that I didn't want to use math lessons as lessons in executive skill development.

This is probably my primary concern as my son already has some issues with executive function so he is 'behind the 8 ball' already, and I don't want to pile it on. That said it is something we have to develop.

I will admit I am looking for something I can let him do independently - I can help him with Algebra I but beyond that I am starting to flounder, and while his Dad can do this stuff in his sleep, Dad is at work most days, so could maybe help in a homework capacity; yet we are currently very much a school during the day, non-school in the evenings type family ...

Do you think if we did Algebra II first, then on to Geometry that might be an easier way in?

Thanks for the detailed reply

This is probably my primary concern as my son already has some issues with executive function so he is 'behind the 8 ball' already, and I don't want to pile it on. That said it is something we have to develop.

I will admit I am looking for something I can let him do independently - I can help him with Algebra I but beyond that I am starting to flounder, and while his Dad can do this stuff in his sleep, Dad is at work most days, so could maybe help in a homework capacity; yet we are currently very much a school during the day, non-school in the evenings type family ...

Do you think if we did Algebra II first, then on to Geometry that might be an easier way in?

From what I've read in many years on this site, TT Geometry is just about the strongest year of TT, and DO's Geometry is the year most people like the least.  I might consider sticking with TT for Geometry and then going to DO for Algebra II...

• Like 2