Menu

Kindergarten Wait or Start

Here is my dilema, My daughter will be 5, so she is suppose to start Kindergarten.  What are the guidelines for this by state of MN?  Do I have the right to hold her back?  I just don't think she is ready.   Do I have to prove my theory to the principal of her school?  I would like for her to start Kindergarten next year and not this year.  I don't know if I should wait or put her in school this year?  I know she will be the oldest in her class and maybe the tallest.  I would like your opinion please 

If kindergarten is mandatory in your state (and I haven't been able to figure that out yet), then it's mandatory and you may not keep her home.

Personally, I would not hold back a child who would then become the oldest and tallest in her class.

Are you not able to homeschool?

• Like 2

Thank you everyone, no I am not able to homeschool.  We do after school homework, but I have been so busy working with my oldest that I haven't had time to work with my youngest one.  She is in preschool now and thinking about putting her into Kumon as well.

I know in Colorado where I am we have a later required enrollment date for homeschool kids. So non-homeschoolers are required to be enrolled if they turn 6 by October 1st. But homeschoolers don't have to enroll until 7. Odd and not sure how it practically works out since my dd is only 4

Why are you considering holding her back? Is it merely for academic reasons or emotional maturity ones? From what I've seen Kumon is pretty intense for little kids. I would think if you were doing Kumon, she'd be more than ply starting K on time. I'm more for enrolling kids when the cutoff would have them enroll unless there was glaringly obvious reasons to hold them back.

• Like 1

Hive mind 4, Where did you find that information on the MN we have up to age 7 for them to start K?  I can't find it any where, I am on the MN state of education

A 7yo would not start in kindergarten. He would most likely be expected to enter second grade.  The law does not state what grade a child would enter, only that if he is between the ages of 7 and 17 must be enrolled in school.

I found this information here.

I live in California and in general I have found the higher SES of the school the more likely there will be redshirted kids, particularly boys. At the high performing, high SES school my kids attend most summer birthday boys are held back. The cut-off used to be Dec. 2 and now it has moved back to Sept. 1.  When it was Dec. 2 most of the fall boys and some girls were held back so they didn't start kindergarten at 4.  I work at a low SES school and it is hard to find a student who was held back a year from kindergarten because of economic reasons. The free state preschools will not let kids spend another year at the preschool, they have to move on to kindergarten. 

I just looked up MN and the cut off is Sept. 1st. When is your daughter's birthday? Is the kindergarten she will attend in a high socio-economic area?

I have the same questions -- when is her birthday, and what are your reasons for feeling she is not ready?

I am in MN (east metro) and the homeschool status paperwork for the district isn't required until age 7 (the first school year after they turn 7, which is typically 2nd grade for most kids).

Without knowing your concerns surrounding starting her on time, it is difficult to give you my opinion. But if you feel she should be held back for social or emotional maturity reasons, I would be inclined to keep her on track academically and reevaluate next year. She could always "skip" formal kindergarten at the school and enroll in first grade (with same age peers), assuming she is ready then. A lot of growth -- in all areas of development -- can happen at age 5 and 6. She may not seem ready now, but she could be a very different child this fall.

• Like 1

Guest laurade

I would check with the principal because what Ellie said happened to a boy that my nephew was friend's with.  His mom held him out of school for a year and then, wanted him to start kindergarten at age 6.  The school said, no and put him in first grade.  The parents were pissed, but that is the way they did it at that school. 

Keep in mind, that as much as you may prefer for your kid to be on the older end, no one wants the 8 year old in a class with ten year olds and when the kids get a little older, a two year age differential can be a big deal.

I would check with the principal because what Ellie said happened to a boy that my nephew was friend's with. His mom held him out of school for a year and then, wanted him to start kindergarten at age 6. The school said, no and put him in first grade. The parents were pissed, but that is the way they did it at that school.

Keep in mind, that as much as you may prefer for your kid to be on the older end, no one wants the 8 year old in a class with ten year olds and when the kids get a little older, a two year age differential can be a big deal.

We also had a friend who this happened with. Not exactly, but similar. They homeschooled him for K and started a year late. So his K year at home would have been his 1st grade year in public according to cut off dates. When they went to enroll him In public 1st grade the school put him in second. It was based on age and the evaluation they did. I'm not sure what would have happened if he hasn't been advanced academically.

I think that another year at home is generally a big plus. As others have said, they will generally put her in the grade she is ready for when they evaluate her. If she stays home for a year but is ready to start first, that's likely what they will do. Of course, they might put her in kinder, so you have to be okay with that. 

If she's in a good preschool and can continue there an extra year, that it probably what I would do.