Menu

20% off at Social Thinking

I have this:  http://www.socialthinking.com/Products/4001 for my 6-year-old son.  The story books are really good.  So far I have only really used the story books.  I have read through the lesson plan book but I haven't used it yet.  I don't care for the cd, it is just not my style.

Three of the story books have been really good and we have read them a lot.  The one about "making a group plan" is over my son's head but I think we will use it later.  It looks good, but my son is just not ready for it.  Then he just doesn't care for the one about "whole body listening," and I doubt that we will use it later, but I will re-visit it later to see if it is possible.  

The one about "thinking thoughts and feeling feelings" is very good information and my son likes the pictures in it.  

The ones about "body in the group" and "thinking with your eyes" are both really good stories and really good information.  They are good for re-reading.

I got "you are a social detective," also.  It was fine for me but I feel like I knew the information already from various places, but I have also read a lot and read a lot of the blogs from the socialthinking.com blog.  It is not one I could ready to my 6-year-old son.  So it was a bit of a miss for me, but also one that I am keeping b/c it may work out to read to my son later.  I think for a child at the right level it would be a good book to read.  But to me (as an adult) it is dull compared to the other story books.  

I will definitely get the 2nd set of story books for The Incredible Flexible You whenever they are released, and I hope to use "making a group plan" down the road.

Otherwise I have looked at a lot of their products but they are best for kids with a higher language level than my son has right now.  That is also why I haven't used anything in particular from the lesson plan book.  

And, it may be coincidence and/or other things we were also doing, but my son made a big improvement in "body in the group" on outings and errands at the same time we were reading that book a lot.  "Body in the group" is something he has understood better, and I say that now, instead of "stay with us" or "come back by us" or things like that.  So I am not having to hold his hand, and I am also not having to constantly call him closer.  I don't think it the book is the only piece of the puzzle for this, and I think maturity is a lot of it, but still -- it is very worth it!  My son used to wander off so this is very good!  

The Thinking About You Thinking About Me book is great for any age group and for understanding the whole approach of all the social thinking materials.

For younger kids beside set Lecka mentioned, the Whole Body Listening books are great as well as We Can Make It Better and Movie Time. Of course, I am a big fan of Zones of Regulation and have been using that with ds since it came out. I heard that the writer is coming our with a second Zones book, very excited to hear that!

Lecka, I wish the Incredible FlexibleYou was around when ds was younger. I had a chance to look at it and thought it was fabulous. I do think that no matter the language level introducing and using that vocabulary around your child as much as possible is helpful. Mainly because I think that way these discussions around the concepts just happen more frequently and naturally. At least that is how it has worked here.

• Like 1

Is anyone else having trouble checking out? When I try to hit the register button the page doesn't respond, I've tried it in three different browsers and on two devices. We already own The Zones of Regulation and The Incredible Flexible You but I purchased them from Amazon so I don't have login info already.

I'm hoping to purchase Thinking About You Thinking About Me and the social detective book. I was also looking at The Behavior Code. Has anyone used it?

• Like 1

Is anyone else having trouble checking out? When I try to hit the register button the page doesn't respond, I've tried it in three different browsers and on two devices. We already own The Zones of Regulation and The Incredible Flexible You but I purchased them from Amazon so I don't have login info already.

I'm hoping to purchase Thinking About You Thinking About Me and the social detective book. I was also looking at The Behavior Code. Has anyone used it?

I hit "join" on the main page, which allowed me to sign up for the newsletter (the checkout "register" page didn't respond). When I signed up for the newsletter, they emailed me my login (email address) and password (computer generated). 

• Like 2

I hit "join" on the main page, which allowed me to sign up for the newsletter (the checkout "register" page didn't respond). When I signed up for the newsletter, they emailed me my login (email address) and password (computer generated).

Thank you!

"Unstuck and On Target" was one of the recommendations that the neuropsych at Kennedy Krieger gave me. It's still cheaper at Amazon even with the 20% discount because I get free shipping with my Prime membership vs. almost $7 for shipping from ST.

• Like 2