Menu

Human Odyssey vol 2

Any tips for scheduling? I want to put the fun back in history, so nothing too heavy. We are switching from History Odyssey which ds hated. We will be doing a separate writing program, so I don't need to include writing assignments. I mostly just want to do reading and discussion. Is there enough in Human Odyssey by itself, or do I need other books to supplement?

You can download  a generous 35 lesson 'try before you buy" sample and the entire required resource list on the website. That is meant to last you about 8-10 weeks, so you can see if clicks with you. Look at that and see if it feels like something you can see doing three or four lessons per week.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You can download  a generous 35 lesson 'try before you buy" sample and the entire required resource list on the website. That is meant to last you about 8-10 weeks, so you can see if clicks with you. Look at that and see if it feels like something you can see doing three or four lessons per week.

where can this be downloaded? What website?

Any tips for scheduling? I want to put the fun back in history, so nothing too heavy. We are switching from History Odyssey which ds hated. We will be doing a separate writing program, so I don't need to include writing assignments. I mostly just want to do reading and discussion. Is there enough in Human Odyssey by itself, or do I need other books to supplement?

We, too, do reading and discussion only. We have been very pleased with K12 Human Odyssey. (We are in the middle of Vol. 2.)  It is fine to supplement, but the books are solid on their own.

• Like 2

You can download a generous 35 lesson 'try before you buy" sample and the entire required resource list on the website. That is meant to last you about 8-10 weeks, so you can see if clicks with you. Look at that and see if it feels like something you can see doing three or four lessons per week.

Are you sure you are referring to Human Odyssey by K-12? History Odyssey, which she mentioned she was leaving, allows you to do that, but I have never seen that for Human Odyssey.

We used Human Odyssey v1 last year but we used it with the OUP series and lots of other supplemental readings. We will be doing the same with v2 this year. But, you can pretty much just read and discuss Human Odyssey on its own. It is complete enough.

Last year I just figured out how many cultures we wanted to cover last year and figured out how many weeks for each one. It would have gone much faster with just Human Odyssey.

We do mainly reading and discussion, but we liven it up by reading historical fiction, watching documentaries, and watching (fiction) movies set in the historical time period. Dd has gotten good at pointing out all the things that are wrong historically in many movies.

• Like 1

I have it scheduled this year- I bought the teachers manual just for discussion questions (I am terrible at coming up with my own questions!) and I am assigning reading for homework and discussions during the week. I am aiming for two discussions per week (with some writing such as narrations, a newspaper project, and working towards a two paragraph compare and contrast (not an essay... Saving that for next year). On Fridays we will do documentaries, a few chosen projects from Story of the World AG, and work on any major writing projects. We are using some John Green World History and some Horrible Histories, and I have lined up a few historical works for literature time that tie in with the time period. So basically a mish mash.

• Like 1

I always, always, always get those two confused!! 

When I get my TARDIS, I am making one of them change the name. 

Then to add to the confusion, Spielvogel also has an excellent history book called Human Odyssey. It used to be quite popular with homeschoolers but it has fallen out of favor for some reason. Maybe because it is older?  I own it and the TE and it is very good. It is still being published and is used in high schools, but I have a friend who used it in middle school. One book got her all the way through years 5-8, with supplemental readings etc etc of course. It is comparable to the K12 books, but smaller print.

We used K12's HO2 last year, and it was wonderful. I used the TM (purchased used on Amazon) to pace the reading (generally a half-chapter a day) and I used their discussion questions. I didn't use too many of their essay questions, but I did use some. I look forward to using this again with my next kid in a few years.

• Like 1