Menu

Pressure wounds/wound care/diabetics -small update

anneinco

85 year old MIL lives with us. Up until now, while it has not been easy, I have felt confident in the care we are giving her. Now she has an ulcer on her toe, which I feel comfortable treating for now,, however, she has something going on in her tailbone area that I am not so confident about.

I will probably take her back into the doctor if I don't see any improvement by Sat. We were there last week and he said to just put neosporin on it and keep changing her position. I am not sure he was classifying it as a pressure wound then but said he was not worried about it yet. At that time, it was just a cut looking thing and peeling skin. Now, inbetween the cheeks (right at the top) it's starting to look more raw and moist. It's not related to tolieting, that I know. I am treating with neosporin twice a day and making sure it dries after showers.

Any suggestions from those who have been there? We bought a pillow with the coxis cut out but she is so petite it doesn't work. She can't sit back far enough. I might try to cut the first 3-4 inches off the front and see if that helps. Other than that we have her on a gel cushion (recommended by the medical supply place and moving a pillow every coulple hours under each leg. She does not move a lot especially from noon til she goes to bed around 11pm. She is In her chair watching tv unless she has to use the bathroom.

We meet with a vascular doctor today to see how her blood flow is for healing the foot ulcer so I might see if anyone there can take a look at either put me at ease or tell me to get her in. The seditaryness with limiting walking combined with the diabetes in what concerns me with wounds with her.

If you have a wound care center available, that's ideal.  The one we have locally gets raves because that's all they do, and the doctor who started it has done such a great job of getting the right people and resources.

• Like 4

If you have a wound care center available, that's ideal. The one we have locally gets raves because that's all they do, and the doctor who started it has done such a great job of getting the right people and resources.

Oh that's a good idea. I will look into that. It's more education that I need so I know what I can treat at home and when she needs more care. I feel it should be cleaned out more, but he said just neosporin. And to keep readjusting her.

• Like 1

The toe wound is most alarming to me- especially is she is a diabetic.  That's how diabetics lose toes.

Wounds need moisture to heal.  Aggressive or too frequent cleansing is not a good idea, since you are trying to build granulation tissue which will fill in the wound areas.  She needs to change position more.  She should be moved to a different position every 2 hours.    

In your shoes, I'd call the doctor and tell him it's not improving.  He needs to help you get care started at a wound care center.               

• Like 2

There are these bandages called hydrocolloid bandages that are made specifically for wounds like that.  They really work.  http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hydrocolloid+wound+dressing&tag=googhydr-20&index=hpc&hvadid=7280875088&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17630911295716158102&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2jcplz8ok5_b I would call the doctor or take her to urgent care if it gets any worse.  Sores like that  can get ugly very quickly.  

• Like 2

The toe wound is most alarming to me- especially is she is a diabetic. That's how diabetics lose toes.

Toe wound we are on top of... That's why I said I wasn't as concerned. That thankfully has been drilled into me ever since I have known her. Her foot doctor was impressed how quickly I go her in. Infection there is under control from what I can tell but it's not healing. That's the reason for the vascular appt today. And from the little I am picking up (they are doing it now) blood flow is not good.
  • Like 1

There are these bandages called hydrocolloid bandages that are made specifically for wounds like that. They really work. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hydrocolloid+wound+dressing&tag=googhydr-20&index=hpc&hvadid=7280875088&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17630911295716158102&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2jcplz8ok5_b I would call the doctor or take her to urgent care if it gets any worse. Sores like that can get ugly very quickly.

I will look into that and probably get her into the urgent care at her Dr's office tomorrow. She will hate me but might try today also. She will be exhausted.

The wound center is in this complex where we are right now so I might even try doing a walk in but guessing I will be out of luck.

Of course her dr is not in on Friday's or the weekends. We have had hit and miss with urgent care Dr's.

That's my concern the more research I do. Its all new to me and I am trying to stay ahead of the game but this one surprised us. Never had an issues with sores in the past year I have been with her, and nothing has really changed in routine.

Was talking to the receptionist here who's dad has/had issues and she recommended having her lay down for 20 mins every hour. That will be a challange but I will enforce it. It at least will get pressure off it until I get her in.

• Like 1

Does her mattress have an egg carton or one of those motors that moves the air around? That's another thought--she needs out of that chair!

No egg carton but will look into that. When I picked up the chair pad(s) last week, the motor thing was mentioned or something similar so will look into that. She is a side sleeper (same side) which I assume takes pressure off of the tailbone, but again that's something I don't want to assume and I also know that can cause issues later with being the same side.

• Like 2

Pressure wounds are an urgent thing. Oftentimes on top of it all, the skin is much thinner. Wound care places are the best. There are specialty bandages and techniques that are really helpful. We used duoderm and medihoney frequently.

Thank you. All of these replies are making me realize to trust my gut and get her back in. Thankfully she has good insurance so I don't have to second guess because of that. It's more the wearing her out of taking her in

• Like 2

So saw her doctor and he is still Ok with where it is for now. He says we are still in stage one and told me what to look for. I am still not 100% sure what I am looking for but I am sure when I see it, I will know. (he said if I google I will probably see extreme ulcers). Told him I was not afraid to bring her back in because I would rather play it safe than realize I should have had help earlier.

We are going to have her lay on her side on her bed for 20 mins every couple hours to take the pressure off. I don't think the pillows were working too well because she kept moving it because it wasn't comfortable.

• Like 1

Endit works really well to keep the skin on her bottom from breaking down and will help it heal.  Repositioning every 2 hrs also helps.  Put a pillow under one bottom cheek then two hours later take it out and put it under the other.  That would be the easiest way to help with repositioning if she stays in a chair. 

Is she able to stand? She might be resistant to going back to bed every hour, but if she could stand for a few minutes every hour, that would relieve some of the pressure. Also, is the wound open, not intact? If it is open, it is not a stage 1. Stage 1 is a reddened area that is intact that does not blanch. If it is open, it is at least a stage 2.

Is she able to stand? She might be resistant to going back to bed every hour, but if she could stand for a few minutes every hour, that would relieve some of the pressure. Also, is the wound open, not intact? If it is open, it is not a stage 1. Stage 1 is a reddened area that is intact that does not blanch. If it is open, it is at least a stage 2.

I think, based on research, it's stage 2. I'm keeping a close eye on it, and if it looks worse, I will take her back in. Getting a look at it twice a day.

We had gotten into a bad habit of taking her meals in her room. Was simpler and she would complain about missing shows. Now, starting yesterday for dinner, she comes out for all three which gets her up and moving more than she has been. Helps circulation and also gets her off her bum twice within 30-45 mins, three times a day for a couple mins. We will also add the standing up in, especially in the afternoon/evening hours.

• Like 1