Menu

Audiobooks in French.

DS desperately wants the Harry Potter audiobooks in French so he can listen and read along but alas. Pottermore does not include French on available audiobook list. I saw a set(cd and book) available on Amazon (I wonder what the heck it is) for around $60. Do these exist, anyone know, and would I be able to buy the CDs cheaper in France?

Eta that the French version of audible seems rather lacking, comparably. Maybe audiobooks are not a thing there as much as here? I couldn't even find Narnia, for example. I have several books on my j'aime lire ap but only the younger kids ones come with audio.

I found this searching "livre audio harry potter":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANqctDpgqRQ

There are others. Hopefully this will keep DS going until you find a better solution. There are sites like litteratureaudio.com, livrespourtous.com, and audiocite.net with free books, but not necessarily current popular choices. Good for classics and coursework.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Not an audiobook suggestion, but we were able to go on eBay and get many well-known American movies (several were animated) that had been dubbed in French.  These were great for my daughter, since she already knew the story line and could figure out the meaning during the times when she wasn't quite sure.

• Like 1

Not an audiobook suggestion, but we were able to go on eBay and get many well-known American movies (several were animated) that had been dubbed in French. These were great for my daughter, since she already knew the story line and could figure out the meaning during the times when she wasn't quite sure.

Yes, I am all set on movie front due to Amazon.ca. But we drive a whole lot, and my exchange student is doing fabulously listening to Narnia audio while reading the book, DS thought he'd try the same tack :)

I checked www.amazon.fr and they are expensive imo:

25 euro per Livre Audio (I have almost no shipping as I live in Belgium)

Does www.amazon.ca has something?

Well I think HP audiobooks even in English cost a lot ( I suspect just because they can), they are unique in that way. But the French price, depending on EUR/USD exchange still seems a good $10 cheaper to me than what I can get from amazon.ca or the US amazon.

I bit the bullet for the first one, if he actually listens/read and loves, I will get them all in France when I get the rest of his curriculum. Thanks!

• Like 2

I tried this myself.  When Harry Potter first came out, I read it in English, then in French.  At the time, my French reading ability was only barely, barely able to deal with Harry Potter and I kept telling people that reading it was like eating dessert with novacaine lol.  When the rest of the series came out, I bought them in English for my children and in French for myself.  I've read most of them several times in French (except the last book, which I don't plan on reading).  I've read the first one (my favourite) many times in French.  Somewhere, way back when, I bought the audio books at Schoenhoff's.  It was expensive.  Something like $35 or$40, maybe?  My son listened to it a bunch, but I could only understand them enough to know approximately where in the story we were.  I tried reading along with the CDs but the reader went too fast and it didn't help.  I tried listening to the CDs again recently and found I could understand them much better now, but I still didn't find it useful to read along with them.  I find watching movies in French while using the French subtitles useful, more useful even than English subtitles, so I think it is just the speed that is the problem, not the approach.  What I did find useful was reading the chapter to myself first (in French) and THEN listening to it read in French on the CD.  Very, very useful.  It fixed it so instead of just knowing what was happening, I actually understood almost every word!  I couldn't believe it.  You might try this if doing them at the same time doesn't work well. : )

Nan

• Like 1

Hi, Nan

Yes, I'm using them mainly for ear training as he is headed there in September.  Each chapter is about 15 min long and I make him look up words that come up three times or more ;) I asked him what the first one he looked up was, "closet", LOL :)

I don't think he's learning anything, it's more about frying his brain in french ;)

The book/CD set was expensive so I am going to run through some other easier audiobooks before I am compelled to get the rest of HP. I may try what you suggst but I think we are near mutiny.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried looking at the shipping cost w/ Amazon.fr? It seems to be more affordable to ship to the US than it used to be.  I just checked and one Harry Potter audiobook is about 26 euros +  9 euros shipping (10-12 days.)  Three HP audiobooks would be about 77 euros + 12 euros shipping.

I just ordered 10 books for my children to use this coming year and shipping was around $24.  Not cheap, like Prime cheap :) , but nowhere near as much as it would cost if I'd asked my in-laws to mail them out to me. And these books were WAY cheaper than buying them in the States, from amazon.com. Plus, I didn't have to ask my in-laws to lug them over when they come in October.

The other thing to keep in mind is luggage weight. Ask me how I know. :)  Baggage charges are ridiculous nowadays. We were just in France this past month, and I picked up a bunch of books. (Librairie Goulard, if you'll be in Aix!)  Had to borrow an extra suitcase from my in-laws because we'd gone over with only a carry-on each. I distributed the books between the various suitcases and incurred no additional baggage charge, but I've definitely tipped the scales in the past.