Menu

Help me find middle school (7th grade) chemistry curriculum

athena1277

We have been following the 4 year history/science cycle since dd was in 1st grade. We have been using the God's Design curriculum from AiG. We love it. However, when you get to the chemistry and physics years, instead of having lower and upper level material in each lesson, there is only 1 level. So if she uses it for chemistry next year in 7th grade, she will be repeating the exact same things she did in 3rd grade. I feel like she needs to go a little deeper into chemistry, but she's not ready for high school level work. I have done a little looking, but I am not finding much that would be at the right level and could be used for a whole school year. I read the recommendations in the WTM to do mostly experiments, but I need more guidance from a curriculum. Also, I don't see her doing a lot of experimenting on her own and I personally hate experiments. (Too many group labs growing up where I had to do all the work so I didn't get a bad grade.) What options are out there for middle school chemistry?

Have you looked at Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry?  Also check out the pinned High School Chemistry thread.  At the end of post 5, she lists curriculum suitable for middle school.  I just purchased Chemistry 101 expecting to use it for a high school credit.  Hubby and I both think it is more middle school level, so you may want to look at that one, too. I will most likely be selling mine soon.    

• Like 1

We just wrapped up ACS's free Middle School Chemistry. It's excellent. It's extremely hands on - letting the demos and experiments lead. Getting all the supplies did cost me a bit, but since the program was otherwise free, it felt like money well spent and most of it we can use again in high school.

• Like 2