Menu

Glencoe Common Core 2014 Algebra I VS Paul Foerster Algebra I

Hello, I just got off the phone with the math Cheif at the most expensive, best reputation in our town, private school. I inquired as to what text they use for Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II.

She stated they use Glencoe for all. The edition we spoke about was Glencoe Common Core 2014 Algebra I.

She said they also use Foerster as a supplement.

Does anyone have any experience with Glencoe?

I can not afford to send my daughter to this school, but feel she is being woefully under challenged in public school and sadly, home school is not an option.

I have Foerster and its TM. It's a very straight forward algebra book with good explanations and excellent word problems. There are taped lectures to accompany it that you can buy here:

http://mwb.mathwithoutborders.com/?page_id=710

Other options are the Larson algebra book and free Dana Mosely videos (the Chalkdust guy) posted here:

http://www.algebrawithinreach.com/ea6e/content/instructional-videos/chapter-1-2/section-1/introduction-to-real-numbers/

There are earlier (and almost free) editions of Larson's book on Amazon, for example

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0547102275/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is a free course including videos and autocorrected hw and tests based on Saxon Algebra 1 3rd edition (so it includes some geometry). It's free but you have to register.

http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/

You can pick up the textbook used for under $10 on Amazon

http://smile.amazon.com/Algebra-Incremental-Development-3rd-Saxon/dp/1565771346/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427549934&sr=1-1&keywords=saxon+algebra+1+3rd+edition

I would personally avoid the Glencoe because a 2014 public school text will be expensive and won't have many used copies. Older texts with good, free support videos will teach algebra very effectively. I've personally used the Saxon course this year and its very well done.

• Like 2

This is a Common-Core text so may have to find supplements when using older texts to match the content covered.

free (paid for by New York State) CC supplements:  http://greatminds.net/maps/math/module-pdfs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glencoe Algebra 1 Student Edition C2014: 1st Edition
ISBN-13: 9780076639236
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Education
Publication date: 7/6/2012
Edition number: 1
==============================
Table of Contents
Chapter 0 Preparing for Algebra
0-1 Plan for Problem Solving 0-2 Real Numbers 0-3 Operations with Integers 0-4 Adding and Subtracting Rational Numbers 0-5 Multiplying and Dividing Rational Numbers 0-6 The Percent Proportion 0-7 Perimeter 0-8 Area 0-9 Volume 0-10 Surface Area 0-11 Simple Probability and Odds 0-12 Mean, Median, Mode, Range and Quartiles 0-13 Representing DataUnit 1 Relationships between Quantities
Chapter 1 Expressions, Equations, and Functions
1-1 Variables and Expressions 1-2 Order of Operations 1-3 Properties of Numbers Extend 1-3 Algebra Lab: Accuracy 1-4 The Distributive Property 1-5 Equations 1-6 Relations 1-7 Functions Extend 1-7 Graphing Technology Lab: Representing Functions1-8 Interpreting Graphs of Functions

Chapter 2 Linear Equations

2-1 Writing Equations Explore 2-2 Algebra Lab: Solving Equations 2-2 Solving One-Step Equations Explore 2-3 Algebra Lab: Solving Multi-Step Equations 2-3 Solving Multi-Step Equations 2-4 Solving Equations with the Variable on Each Side 2-5 Solving Equations Involving Absolute Value 2-6 Ratios and Proportions Extend 2-6 Spreadsheet Lab: Descriptive Modeling 2-7 Percent of Change Extend 2-7 Algebra Lab: Percentiles 2-8 Literal Equations and Dimensional Analysis2-9 Weighted AveragesUnit 2 Linear Relationships
Chapter 3 Linear Functions
Explore 3-1 Algebra Lab: Analyzing Linear Graphs 3-1 Graphing Linear Equations3-2 Solving Linear Equations by Graphing Extend 3-2 Graphing Technology Lab: Graphing Linear EquationsExplore 3-3 Algebra Lab: Rate of Change of a Linear Function 3-3 Rate of Change and Slope 3-4 Direct Variation 3-5 Arithmetic Sequences as Linear Functions Extend 3-5 Algebra Lab: Inductive and Deductive Reasoning 3-6 Proportional and Nonproportional Relationships
Chapter 4 Equations of Linear Functions
Explore 4-1 Graphing Technology Lab: Investigating Slope-Intercept Form 4-1 Graphing Equations in Slope-Intercept Form Extend 4-1 Graphing Technology Lab: The Family of Linear Graphs 4-2 Writing Equations in Slope-Intercept Form 4-3 Writing Equations in Point-Slope Form 4-4 Parallel and Perpendicular Lines 4-5 Scatter Plots and Lines of Fit Extend 4-5 Algebra Lab: Correlation and Causation 4-6 Regression and Median-Fit Lines 4-7 Inverse Linear Functions Extend 4-7 Algebra Lab: Drawing Inverses
Chapter 5 Linear Inequalities
5-1 Solving Inequalities by Addition and Subtraction Explore 5-2 Algebra Lab: Solving Inequalities 5-2 Solving Inequalities by Multiplication and Division 5-3 Solving Multi-Step Inequalities Explore 5-4 Algebra Lab: Reading Compound Statements 5-4 Solving Compound Inequalities 5-5 Inequalities Involving Absolute Value 5-6 Graphing Inequalities in Two VariablesExtend 5-6 Graphing Technology Lab: Graphing Inequalities
Chapter 6 Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities
6-1 Graphing Systems of Equations Extend 6-1 Graphing Technology Lab: Systems of Equations 6-2 Substitution 6-3 Elimination Using Addition and Subtraction 6-4 Elimination Using Multiplication 6-5 Applying Systems of Linear Equations Extend 6-5 Algebra Lab: Using Matrices to Solve Systems of Equations6-6 Systems of InequalitiesExtend 6-6 Graphing Technology Lab: Systems of InequalitiesUnit 3 Exponential and Quadratic Relationships
Chapter 7 Exponents and Exponential Functions
7-1 Multiplication Properties of Exponents 7-2 Division Properties of Exponents 7-3 Rational Exponents 7-4 Scientific NotationExplore 7-5 Graphing Technology Lab: Family of Exponential Functions7-5 Exponential FunctionsExtend 7-5 Graphing Technology Lab: Solving Exponential Equations and Inequalities7-6 Growth and DecayExtend 7-6 Algebra Lab: Analyzing Exponential Equations7-7 Geometric Sequences as Exponential FunctionsExtend 7-7 Algebra Lab: Average Rate of Change of Exponential Functions7-8 Recursive Formulas
Chapter 8 Quadratic Expressions and Equations
Explore 8-1 Algebra Lab: Adding and Subtracting Polynomials8-1 Adding and Subtracting Polynomials8-2 Multiplying a Polynomial by a Monomial Explore 8-3 Algebra Lab: Multiplying Polynomials 8-3 Multiplying Polynomials 8-4 Special Products Explore 8-5 Algebra Lab: Factoring Using the Distributive Property 8-5 Using the Distributive Property Explore 8-6 Algebra Lab: Factoring Trinomials 8-6 Solving x2 + bx + c = 0 8-7 Solving ax2 + bx + c = 0 8-8 Differences of Squares 8-9 Perfect Squares
Chapter 9 Quadratic Functions and Equations
9-1 Graphing Quadratic FunctionsExtend 9-1 Graphing Technology Lab: Rate of Change of a Quadratic Function 9-2 Solving Quadratic Equations by Graphing Extend 9-2 Graphing Technology Lab: Quadratic Inequalities Explore 9-3 Graphing Technology Lab: Family of Quadratic Functions 9-3 Transformations of Quadratic FunctionsExtend 9-3 Graphing Technology Lab: Systems of Linear and Quadratic Equations 9-4 Solving Quadratic Equations by Completing the Square Extend 9-4 Algebra Lab: Finding the Maximum or Minimum Value 9-5 Solving Quadratic Equations by Using the Quadratic Formula 9-6 Analyzing Functions with Successive Differences and Ratios Extend 9-6 Graphing Technology Lab: Curve Fitting 9-7 Special FunctionsExtend 9-7 Graphing Technology Lab: Piecewise-Linear Functions Unit 4 Advanced Functions and Equations
Chapter 10 Radical Functions and Geometry
Explore 10-1 Algebra Lab: Inverse Functions10-1 Square Root Functions Extend 10-1 Graphing Technology Lab: Graphing Square Root Functions 10-2 Simplifying Radical Expressions Extend 10-2 Algebra Lab: Rational and Irrational Numbers 10-3 Operations with Radical Expressions Extend 10-3 Algebra Lab: Simplifying nth Root Expressions10-4 Radical Equations 10-5 The Pythagorean Theorem Extend 10-5 Algebra Lab: Distance on the Coordinate PlaneExplore 10-6 Algebra Lab: Trigonometric Ratios 10-6 Trigonometric Ratios
Chapter 11 Rational Functions and Equations
Explore 11-1 Graphing Technology Lab: Inverse Variation 11-1 Inverse Variation Explore 11-2 Graphing Technology Lab: Family of Rational Functions11-2 Rational Functions 11-3 Simplifying Rational ExpressionsExtend 11-3 Graphing Technology Lab: Simplifying Rational Expressions 11-4 Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions 11-5 Dividing Polynomials 11-6 Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions 11-7 Mixed Expressions and Complex Fractions 11-8 Rational Equations and FunctionsExtend 11-8 Graphing Technology Lab: Solving Rational Equations Unit 5 Data Analysis
Chapter 12 Statistics and Probability
12-1 Samples and Studies Extend 12-1 Algebra Lab: Evaluating Published Data12-2 Statistics and Parameters 12-3 Distributions of Data 12-4 Comparing Sets of Data 12-5 Simulations 12-6 Permutations and Combinations 12-7 Probability of Compound Events Extend 12-7 Algebra Lab: Two-Way Frequency Tables12-8 Probability Distributions Extend 12-8 Graphing Technology Lab: The Normal Curve

• Like 1

As Mark provided above, I think the main area of difference you'll find in the Common Core textbooks is the addition of more probability and statistics to the normal Algebra I topics (see Ch. 12 above).

I'd personally go with Foerster over Glencoe or any other modern "big textbook" company book for supplementation. Foerster is a clean, straight forward text in design - the instruction is presented followed by related exercises. It is known for its solid explanations and sequencing of material and for very strong word problems.

Glencoe and similar contemporary texts are more visually busy and cluttered and often bloated with non-essential information designed to make the math relevant to students or prepare them for standardized tests. While this look may be appealing to some students, I think it's more of a distraction and harder to determine the essential instructional material without the guidance of a teacher.

I couldn't find the exact edition of Glencoe but here's a link to a pdf of an earlier edition of Glencoe's Algebra. If you click on p.7 here, you can see a sample page of Foerster's Algebra text for comparison.

If you're looking for more challenging material, try Art of Problem Solving's text. There are also videos to accompany the text and Alcumus, an online math practice tool.

If you're looking for a refreshing, non-standard approach that can help with conceptualizing Algebra, try Danica Mckellar's book. This book has some great analogies that would be especially appealing to girls.

• Like 1

Thank you guys so much.

I do not like those busy public school textbooks at all. I don't know why public schools use them. I will stick with the Foerster straight forward text. I have the preA AOPS but DD did not like the discovery approach. But I am not giving up on AOPS. I will start Foerster Alg 1  try sprinkling some preA AOPS in now and again.

Thank You so much!

I looked at the Glencoe that 3andMe referenced and I thought it was not too bad on the busy scale - maybe after seeing Holt all year (my son's Algebra 2 text) I am blinded to less busy texts   :coolgleamA:

I do find the Foerster visually appealing 

just supplement it with some Probability and Statistics

• Like 2

I have to quiet that negative feeling I get sometimes that I am the single variable that limits my daughter. I want her to be challenged and learn critical thinking and reason. I, myself sorely lack in these skills.  

Then I snap out of it and I do I am doing my best and my DD will benefit from what I am learning on this forum. She is a people pleaser and does not like to disappoint me, so I have to learn to back off at times.

Well anyway, she started the Foerster Alg I text today and she really likes how straight forward it is. How refreshing it is from her public school text.  I will do what ya'll suggested and add the Probability and Statistics.

• Like 1