Menu

Potter's House, Landry Academy vs ? Need suggestions

I am interested in hearing suggestions for online classes for 7th and 8th graders.  We have been doing Classical Conversations, but we have moved to a community that just started this year and most likely won't be offering Challenge classes A or B next year and I'm needing guidance for my junior high girls.  I've read a few things about these classes and would like to hear feedback from those who have used them.

Both my daughters love to read and my older child (in 8th grade next year) is very good an independent work and very responsible when the expectations are clear and above grade level in Language arts and at grade level in math.  My younger daughter is a dreamer who loves animals and reading, also above grade level in reading and slightly below level in math, but less independent.  My husband is in school and at home during the day, doing classes online, and I work nights as a nurse 3 days a week.

Which of these classes would work well with our situation?  I really desire a classical education for our girls but I'm having trouble being organized enough to make it happen and believe that we need to outsource some things. My husband and I have a lot of time to work with the kids, but not necessarily all during traditional school hours.  Thank you in advance for any advice and insights.

My boys have taken classes with:

• Veritas Press Scholars Academy (Literature III, Omnibus I Primary & Secondary, Omnibus II Primary & Secondary, Latin Transition I, Latin I and Latin II)
  • Wilson Hill Academy (Great Conversations I, Great Conversations III, and Algebra II)
  • Potter's School (Pre-AP Honors Biology)

Do you have a specific question or specific classes in mind? I'd be happy to answer any that I can. :-)

I would love the girls to do Latin and have had trouble getting started, mostly because I feel inadequate to teach it and I would love to learn myself, but right now I'm having to educate myself about things at work. My husband is also in the same boat, would like to learn Latin, but also has his own assignments. 

Did you like site better than the others?  Cost value?  How much time did you spend grading, helping to understand assignments and such?

Between two kids, mine gave taken (all from TPS): Writers Workshop, English 1, English 2, French 1, Spanish 1, JH Goegraphy, and General Science. I heartily recommend all but the geography course.

Online classes are great for independent/organized/self-motivated kids (and could also help develop those qualities, with some support). If you can swing the tuition (about $500 per course), they might be a great fit in your situation.

Did you like site better than the others?  Cost value?  How much time did you spend grading, helping to understand assignments and such?

I think the sites each have their own benefits and drawbacks.

VPSA and WH's classes (that my boys took) meet twice a week, where TPS meets only once a week (for the class that my son took.) Each school uses a different system for their classes. My son's like Wilson Hill's system the best, but I would think that's something that might change from child to child. I found each system easy to navigate as a parent. 

The classes are expensive, but worth it in my opinion. I believe that my sons are receiving an education that's far superior to one I could provide.

I don't spend any time grading and little to none on explaining. The teachers have all been fantastic. All have been more than willing to answer questions outside of class if one came up. The only time I do spend is asking if homework or quiz has been completed or reminding to go to class. 

Heather, can you give me more information about the Veritas Press online classes?  I would really like to try Omnibus II next year, but I am not sure my daughter can handle the assignments and/or tests.  We are doing Omnibus I this year.  We are reading the books and answering the questions.  Most of this we are doing orally.  

I guess my question is how they grade their classes.  Are the tests discussion?  Are they graded on class discussion as well?  My daughter is more of a "listener."  It is just a very expensive class to take, so I want to make sure she can handle it.  She will be taking it as an 8th grader.  THANK YOU!

This is how my son's Omni II Primary class was graded last year:

Attendance / Class Participation 20%

Reading Assignments 30%
Writing Assignments 20%
Exams 30%

So, the exams are written and they are graded on discussion/participation.

I will say that my oldest son is not a reader or interested at all in history or literature, yet he earned an A in each of the Omni I & II Primary & Secondary sections. (He is my math - programming-chemistry guy!) There is no way *I* could have ever gotten the level of interest/participation/discussion out of him!  It was a joy to watch him go through these classes and rise to the expected level. He absolutely loved his teachers.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about the writing classes as we haven't taken those, but my boys love the Great Conversations classes! WH combines the Omnibus Primary & Secondary classes into one class.  I know there's a thread on the HS board right now about WH or feel free to PM me with any specific questions. :-)

ETA: Just realized you started that thread! LOL! I'll go weigh in there. :-)

• Like 1