Menu

Grammar like TC Grammar? MCT?? FIX IT?

ByGrace3

We have really enjoyed the copywork grammar portion of TC. We are using FLL4, but have slowed down while doing that section. Looking towards next year, is there any grammar that teaches it like TC? Whole passages, marking parts of speech...real application of grammar. Will IEW's FIX IT give me this? Any other ideas? If FIX IT would work, any way to teach a 3rd and 5th together? Or would that be crazy? Would the 1st level be too slow for a 5th grader?

What about MCT? I have not looked at it much, but can it be used for only grammar (maybe poetry as well)? Would this maybe be what I am looking for? Can someone explain how this works?

Something else?

The new Fix-It grammar may very well meet your needs and yes you could teach it to both grade levels at the same time.  It isn't based on grade levels, it is based on skill sets.  Start with Level 1 for both.  The 5th grader might be able to move much faster but that is your call if you want to move one through quickly and one through at a slower pace.  15 minutes a day and you are done.  You need the TM.  I suggest getting it in hard copy.  I think there is an option to get the student workbooks as e-books and you print out what you need.  Depends on your preference.  I got hard copies of both, but they were on sale at a convention.

IME the various parts of MCT's materials generally have nice synergy with one another.  That said, i think they can be used in isolation, and you could do grammar plus poetry.  I started my eldest in FLL, but we switched to Island level in MCT when he was in third.  It was a beautiful thing for us :)  My 8 yo DD did the grammar and poetry portion of Island in first and second because she was interested and picked it up quickly.  The writing part of the poetry was a challenge for her, but with support and scaffolding she was able to handle it.

I haven't used TC, but what I like about MCT's grammar is the way it teaches the kids to think through it similarly to a flow chart of sorts.

Can you look at MCT's materials in person?  I think they are difficult to grasp without seeing IRL.  The samples are not a great representation IMO. 

You mark parts of speech (one sentence a day) in MCT practice books. I am using MCT for grammar only now, and it's working just fine. You would want the grammar (island, town, etc.) and practice (island, town, etc.) You would want the teacher book of both. MCT Grammar Island is in story form. The practice book sentences don't make a story.

I just bought Fix It. It doesn't look like we're marking all the parts of speech as we've been doing in MCT. Fix It involves editing/correcting a sentence a day that has mistakes. You do mark some things (subjects, verbs, prepositional phrases, clauses type stuff) as far as I can tell. You do a sentence per day, and the sentences form a story. It's different/I'm not sure what to think at this point!

In a way, KISS grammar is like TC in that you mark parts of speech in sentences that come from works of literature. The sentences are separated out in most cases & not presented as a passage. It is free to download (if you can manage the website & figure out the level you want), so you can see if it is something you'd like to use.