Menu

Singapore Dimensions Mathematics Common Core?? For Next Year

My 12yo uses DM. She just started 8A. For her, it is the most perfect curriculum in the world. (My older uses other math, as DM is a poor match. Yes, this gets $$$!)

I suppose it's kind of prealg/alg, though it is SO integrated that it kind of defies categorization....there's also geometry, statistics, data management, map skills, etc. etc. scattered throughout. It is so cool that every time it circles back to a topic, it does so at a higher level, using skills learned since the last time the topic was taught. But I guess if you had to make it fit standard American math "boxes," you could say prealg/alg.

BTW, we found 7A and the first half or so of 7B went painfully slowly, and I was worried about finishing the series in good time. Later in 7B and now 8A, it is going much faster. Not sure if that jives with others' experiences, but it sure would have eased my mind to hear this when we were slogging through 7A.

As for other resources, she does selected problems from the workbook. Not necessary, I'd say, but they are really cool problems that both solidify and extend her learning. And I love having the solutions manuals to the texts and workbooks. That's all she uses for math.

Good luck!

My son is using 7a this year. There is some algebra in 7a (three chapters, focusing on algebraic expressions, distributive property, simplifying expressions, and solving single-variable equations). The rest of the algebra topics, including quadratic equation and graphing, are in 8a and 8b.

I use some worksheets from mathdrills.com to provide extra practice as needed. Between chapters, my son might do some of Zaccaro's Challenge Math and Math Counts "problems of the week" just for a fun break and to keep up arithmetic skills.

We like the book so far. My son really wanted to stay with Singapore, although the format is quite different from Primary Math. The text and workbooks don't have spaces to write in them, so he writes the answers on loose leaf paper instead. There were some topics where he needed more practice than was in the text and workbooks, but that also happened during Primary Math. It's a bit pricey when you add up textbook, workbook, teacher's notes/solutions, and workbook solutions but they can be reused or sold since they are all non-consumable.

As the PP said, it's slow going so far. It will definitely take more than one school year to complete 7a and 7b, but he's only in 5th grade so I'm happy to go at his pace.

That's correct. Singapore.com says:

"Due to trademark issues, we will have to stop carrying Discovering Mathematics and Discovering Additional Mathematics after December 31, 2014. This will affect all the Discovering Mathematics titles that we now carry. We currently have no plan to replace these titles. 

Please note that this will not affect the Dimensions Math CC series. This will continue to be available."

In short, RE the OP: this is an excellent program, and I'd say it is a very strong pre-alg and Algebra 1 curriculum.

AMM, thanks for that feedback!  To the OP: we used DM 7 for a bit, and I found it rigorous, comprehensive, and comprehensible :) .  FWIW I have a strong-ish math background and am working with an accelerated, high-math-ability learner.  RE the sol'ns: there are solutions manuals here, though they are separate and hence even more $$$.  SparklyUnicorn, had you seen these?

Like others, we found that we moved somewhat slowly through the materials.  I was working with a young learner but would expect that most children will be slowed by these materials.  OTOH they are excellent, and I believe could be covered without undue stress if you were willing to school math year-round or if you are beginning with a child in an earlier grade -- 5 or 6.  If the child has been using SM successfully so far this seems an especially strong option. 

I would not expect it to require supplementation, unless you wish to drill/review facts or mental math strategies.  You could use SM MathSprings/Mental Math supplements for grades 5 and 6 for that if you wish. 

We set them aside for AoPS materials (which I adapt heavily) for 2 reasons:

1.  A. was not excited by his DM math.  He doesn't like math generally, but will sometimes get enthusiastic when working problems or reading about the concepts.  I noticed this was not happening with DM. 

2.  I liked the idea of finding a program that extends through high school. 

HTH. 

The workbooks don't have explanations like the textbooks do.  They also have a wider range of problems, grouped into basic practice, further practice, challenging practice, and enrichment.  The basic and further practice sections seem a lot like the textbook problems, and the textbook will also sometimes have a few problems thrown in near the end that seem like some of the challenging practice problems.  But we find that generally, the challenging practice and enrichment problems take things to a whole new level.  My daughter lives for these, though some kids (uh, like my older daughter) might be annoyed by the huge mental leaps and the synthesis of a wide range of unmentioned skills needed to solve them.

I agree about it being unfortunate that DM doesn't go all the way through high school.  If you have levels 3 and 4 (of Discovering--these would have been levels 9 and 10 if Dimensions had continued), though, it will take you a long way.  (I bought them all up in a frenzy when I heard they were going to stop selling.)  I plan to bring in Foerster (probably) to finish things out when she gets to that point, as she once tried AoPS and strongly rejected it.  I would not be surprised if people will start selling their levels 3 and 4 as they finish with them, so they might be gettable, though I realize this is not at all ideal.  I feel like we don't have a choice, as nothing lights up my younger's world like DM! 

Oh, and btw, there are indeed solutions manuals for everything in the Discovering/Dimensions Mathematics series.  They certainly add up $$, but they're available.  No way could I do this w/o them!

[edited to clarify about levels in paragraph 2]