Menu

Logic Stage Dictionary

My 5th graders have decidedly outgrown the children's dictionary but I don't feel they're ready to use the "adult" one quite yet. I mean, yes, they can use it, but a) the only grown up dictionary we have is a concise OED and b ) they seem to like the approachable, simple definitions of the children's dictionary and the slightly bigger typeface, it just doesn't have nearly enough words anymore.

Any "student" dictionaries that are worth their salt?

My DD just requested an upgrade too, and she's their age. 

She had this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0877796750/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We upgraded to this one, and I think she has been using it nearly every day since we got it last week: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/054416606X/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had an unabridged Websters too that she was not happy using. She really loves her new one. 

So many options... So Webster has an intermediate dictionary, a school dictionary, a "New World" school dictionary, and a "New World" college dictionary. Without holding them in my hands, I really am not sure which one I want... I have a feeling I want one of the "school" options, not the college though.

Yea, I couldn't figure out the differences very well so I just showed her several options on Amazon. She recognized the one we got as the one her writing teacher and fellow student had so she chose it. I wasn't sure how different going from the Elementary to School versions would be, and well, I'm tired of buying dictionaries! The one we replaced she asked for as a Christmas present a few years ago; she does love dictionaries!

Webster's Collegiate here. Others do not have enough words in them when they are needed, so even though the type is better, they don't seem very helpful. My ds is currently using an electronic dictionary with Webster's Collegiate built in. It is easy for him to use. We also have the paper and ink version.

This one is high school level, pictures but no color. I've been having her use it for MCT's 100 classic words, and she's not having any problems... other than getting sidetracked reading the other entries. :001_rolleyes:

We moved from a dictionary such as this one DK Merriam-Webster Children's Dictionary for the elementary school years to one that we call 'the big, black book' because it's both:  Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language.

A couple of interesting posts from off the board.  (Note the date of publication.)

Looking for a New Dictionary?

Which dictionary is the best?

If you decide to add a thesaurus to your collection, I recommend this one: The Synonym Finder by J.I. Rodale.

Regards,

Kareni