Menu

SAT...

I am having difficulties finding a good resource for just an overview list of skills needed for taking the SAT, especially Math.  DH wants a concrete plan for DD for what remains of Middle School plus our plan for High School.  He wants something he can look at and I am trying to write one out.  This includes any standardized testing.

I assume to pass the SAT/ACT you would need Algebra I, II and Geometry?  What if you were still taking Algebra II?  Any chance of passing?

ACT has a little material with trigonometry, but not a lot, you could probably miss all the trig problems and still pass.

SAT 1 has pre-A, Algebra and Geometry type questions. I'm not actually clear on where any particular Algebra 1 course stops and Algebra 2 begins, and the geometry questions don't look to me like the proof type questions often found in a geometry class.

SAT looks much changed since I took it, where there will be more emphasis on the ability to use a calculator well.

Also what "passing" means differs for different colleges. Do you have a specific score needed?

Here are some links from the official College Board and ACT sites that describe the math sections for the SAT and ACT:

SAT Math

ACT Math

The SAT has no trigonometry questions, whereas the ACT does, though it comprises only about 5-10% of the test. A student who has finished at least Algebra II will have the best chance of scoring well. However, there is no single "passing score." There is a score that is the average of college bound seniors and it is generally considered that a score just slightly below that number is the approximate score needed to be considered "college ready."  However, some colleges have a much more demanding curriculum and as such incoming students will be students who score higher. 

One of my children is not a strong math student. She was in Algebra II when she took the SAT and she did score somewhat above the national average but not high, though I don't remember her scores without looking them up. 

Thanks everyone.  In plotting out our math schedule, I really don't want to jeopardize her current success by rushing through the material she is using at any faster pace than we already are.  But in plotting everything out, even if we take an extra year, I don't think she will get to Algebra II until her new senior year (labeled a gap year for DD).  She wants to go to a local college/University, at least at first.  That may change as she gets older but right now that is the plan.  I will check score requirements.

Thanks for the help.  I really appreciate it.

While the ACT's math section does include higher level math than the SAT, it doesn't mean that the math questions are really harder.  Yes, there's trig, but 80% of the trig questions are straight SOHCAHTOA, which a bright, motivated student can learn very quickly.  Logarithms are also "advanced," but in practice are very easy for purposes of the ACT.  If she's had Algebra I and Geometry, that's enough for the SAT.  Best of luck to her!