Menu

What to use after Explode the Code 8

moonlight

My just turned 8 year old should be done with Explode the Code 8 by December. I'm thinking ahead and trying to figure out what to use.

He is a poor speller, but will be doing AAS with him. He was doing WWE last year, but we haven't really continued it this year. He is doing daily copywork though. He reads 15-30 minutes daily depending on the day. He listens to chapter books either read by me, his brother or audio books. After Explode the Code is over, I will definitely up his reading time requirement. He also has a nonfiction reading requirement daily that just started so that should push reading to 30 minutes every day.

He did not like WWE. It seemed to drag for some reason.

Not sure what I even want really. I know I want something secular. Something that has an independent component would be great. I don't think he needs any more phonic instruction, but definitely needs more practice to be a fluent reader.

I am going to order Treasured Conversations, but I am fairly certain that it will be too old for him. I might take some ideas from there though.

Thanks!

We are using CLE reading after ETC.  It's only two days a week to get through it in a typical school year.  I can not see it "killing the love/joy of reading" (I've read comments here about a reading program possibly doing that). :)  My kids are actually enjoying it, so far.   :)

Scroll down to page 28 for the reading scope and sequence: http://www.clp.org/documents/5324/original/2014-2015_Elementary_Scope_and_Sequence.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

He's going to be doing AAS and practicing reading every day. I really don't think there's anything more you can do realistically.

If WWE wasn't working, then you could try a different writing program. I don't think writing does very well as an independent subject, so I can't help there.

I have a little boy your son' sage. He also didn't like WWE, but does very well with Treasured Conversations. It's a beautiful program that teaches writing step by step. I would give it a try if I were you.

I would also recommend k12 readers for reading practice. The stories are wonderful and the anguage isn't too complex.