Menu

Fun, engaging space based science for an 8th grader... Does it exists?

I was planning on BJU8, which we'll go with if I can't find anything else. Obviously, with the BJU, I prefer a creation based science, but we'll add that worldview if I can find a great science. I want fun - experiememts - hands on - engaging. This is the studebt's FAVORITE subject and they are a space nerd. It'll be for a 7th and 8th graders - great students, great readers.

Any suggestions!?

I get it. I have a space obsessed 8th grade girl. She plans on working for NASA, and practically every subject has to have a space spin for her to get enthused. For Earth Science this year (shhh... she thinks we are doing Planetary Science) we are using the AstroVenture curriculum available on-line from NASA. It will take about 3 quarters of the school year. The rest of the time we will do an engineering unit using the Building Math series available from Rainbow resources. We also use a lot of the NASA space math downloads.

Have you looked at TOPS science?  http://www.topscience.org/

TOPS Science is totally hands on and is generally quite engaging. A few of their 'Earth and Space' units, such as "Pi in the Sky" and "Scale of the Universe"  were created in conjunction with NASA. It is made with a classroom in mind, but they are very popular with homeschoolers and their material is very easy to adjust for one student.

I my kids have very much enjoyed all the TOPS units we have done.

Spine Ideas:

- The Teaching Company Great Courses: Understanding the Universe: Intro to Astronomy -- DVD lecture series

Explorations: Intro to Astronomy (Arny) -- textbook; and use the Glencoe tutorials, activities, and other teaching helps

Discovering the Essential Universe (Comins) -- textbook; and use the Companion website (or also here) with student/teacher extras

- MIT Open Courseware -- free, Intro To Astronomy

- Coursera -- free, Intro To Astronomy

Hands-On Supplements:

Sky Server (real projects: solar system, size of universe, asteroids, types of stars, color of stars, galaxies; also advanced projects)

- Hands-On Astronomy Activities (from Astronomical Society of the Pacific) -- 36 family-friendly activities

Space Science Institute

How Hot is That Star? (6 investigations: thermal radiation & equilibrium, Hertzsprung-Russell diagrams, etc.)

Spectra From Space (4 hands-on: Geiger counter, x-rays, build a Spectroscope, Liquid Crystal IR Detector)

Track Spacecraft (info and activity)

Sunspots (info and activity)

More Opportunities:

- join an Amateur Astronomy Club or Association

(night viewings/star parties, attend special info lectures, meet astronomers -- maybe intern at the local university during high school!)

- list of Astronomy/Astrophysics summer camps and special programs

Have you looked at TOPS science? http://www.topscience.org/

TOPS Science is totally hands on and is generally quite engaging. A few of their 'Earth and Space' units, such as "Pi in the Sky" and "Scale of the Universe" were created in conjunction with NASA. It is made with a classroom in mind, but they are very popular with homeschoolers and their material is very easy to adjust for one student.

I my kids have very much enjoyed all the TOPS units we have done.

This is a great suggestion! I just got the TOPS unit called Far Out Math, and it looks fabulous. That one, as well as the 2 others mentioned, were designed to educate about NASA's Gamma-ray Large Area Space Telescope. I am looking forward to trying them.

I get it. I have a space obsessed 8th grade girl. She plans on working for NASA, and practically every subject has to have a space spin for her to get enthused. For Earth Science this year (shhh... she thinks we are doing Planetary Science) we are using the AstroVenture curriculum available on-line from NASA. It will take about 3 quarters of the school year. The rest of the time we will do an engineering unit using the Building Math series available from Rainbow resources. We also use a lot of the NASA space math downloads.

Hey klwalukas, here's some stuff that might be worth buying the textbook as a supplement if not implementing wholesale for your kid. I didn't mention it before because it's definitively NOT creation based so probably won't help the OP.

Earth/life science: https://astrobio.terc.edu/ -- I think this would be difficult to implement ALL of it in a homeschool setting but it might very well have great supplemental units. You can get both the student book and teacher guide for about 5 bucks on amazon.

Physical science (mostly physics): https://www.kendallhunt.com/projectstar/ -- The teacher guide for this is a bit more expensive, I see it on amazon for about $60. Here's another review of the 1993 edition: http://textbookleague.org/73star.htm -- but I would make sure to get the most recent edition (2001)

Hey klwalukas, here's some stuff that might be worth buying the textbook as a supplement if not implementing wholesale for your kid. I didn't mention it before because it's definitively NOT creation based so probably won't help the OP.

Earth/life science: https://astrobio.terc.edu/ -- I think this would be difficult to implement ALL of it in a homeschool setting but it might very well have great supplemental units. You can get both the student book and teacher guide for about 5 bucks on amazon.

Not klwalukas, but thanks for posting this info - this programs looks like something my DD will LOVE.  Maybe we won't be able to do all of it, but even within the samples there are some that can be used as is or adapted easily. 

Now all I need to figure out how to add it to our already-full science year...hmmmm.....

Not klwalukas, but thanks for posting this info - this programs looks like something my DD will LOVE.  Maybe we won't be able to do all of it, but even within the samples there are some that can be used as is or adapted easily. 

Now all I need to figure out how to add it to our already-full science year...hmmmm.....

Frankly it looks like something *I* would love :D

Physical science (mostly physics): https://www.kendallhunt.com/projectstar/ -- The teacher guide for this is a bit more expensive, I see it on amazon for about $60. Here's another review of the 1993 edition: http://textbookleague.org/73star.htm -- but I would make sure to get the most recent edition (2001)

Thanks kiana! Off to check them out!

I just bought some TOPS units and plan on the NASA study. I am excited!! We can power through BJU next year. :-)

I have personally found the key to TOPS is in the prep work. It is very independent if you get it all set up. Read through the lessons and see what they need. TOPS is generally very clear about what is needed and when. I have spend a couple afternoons making my science station and getting it all ready. It feels a bit crafty with cutting things out and looking for bottle caps and baby food jars, lol. If you do that then you, the teacher, can relax.

I haven't looked at those specific space ones so forgive me if it is entirely different, but I thought it would be worth passing on the info.

I have personally found the key to TOPS is in the prep work. It is very independent if you get it all set up. Read through the lessons and see what they need. TOPS is generally very clear about what is needed and when. I have spend a couple afternoons making my science station and getting it all ready. It feels a bit crafty with cutting things out and looking for bottle caps and baby food jars, lol. If you do that then you, the teacher, can relax.

I haven't looked at those specific space ones so forgive me if it is entirely different, but I thought it would be worth passing on the info.

Thank you!! I will definitely take this to heart. I think a lot of times some of the "other" stuff in my house doesn't get done because I didn't prep it ahead of time. We're out of town, but when we get home I will plan on a NASA round first while I set up a couple TOPS books. Thank you - this is awesome info!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, thought I'd update...

We did the TOPS for almost 3 weeks. 2 weeks in Space Kid reveals they don't love it. "Its fun but I'm not learning anything." We devise a plan to move to BJU at Christmas...

By week three, Space Kid comes to me. "Please. Can we do BJU again? Now?"

We're back to BJU. Order is placed and videos will start tomorrow.

Non Space Kid asks smirking today, "Do you want us to do the space crafts today or can we skip it?" Smart aleck. Trying to convince me not to change he gets out, "But we used rolls of tape..." before he breaks out laughing at the idiocy of his argument. LOL

May have some TOPS giveaways on the blog soon. I wanted them to love it!