Menu

Looking for early elementary chemistry curriculum

rebecheka

My ds wants to study chemistry next year, as a 3rd grader.  I was leaning toward Apologia's new book, but I have mixed feelings about it.  My son loves experiments, but hates writing, boring science books, worksheets, and "busywork".  Do you have any suggestions for curriculum for him?  Thanks!

I'm using RSO (Real Science Odyssey) Chemistry 1 with my 3rd grade boy and he loves it. It's mostly experiments, with some info I read aloud to introduce the idea, and a child-friendly page to fill out as you make a prediction, observation, conclusion. I fill my ds' page out as we go so there are no writing "issues" to deal with. We just started it so we'll probably pause for the summer and finish up next year. Our schedule is such that we end up doing it once a week, one or two activities at a time. It does require that I read ahead *before* I do the grocery shopping for the week, so I can pick up anything we don't have, (we needed marshmallows this week....) or I end up having to put everything off until the following week. :)

We followed the Well Trained Mind recommendations (second edition?) and bought the Adventures with Atoms and Molecules books by Mebane and Rybolt. We spent the year working through them (they're all hands-on experiments) and writing up simple lab reports (What did you use, What did you do, What did you observe, What did you learn). 

Erica in OR

Can anyone review Mr Q's Elementary Chemistry?

We're using LS right now, and I have bought ES for next year and peeked through it. CP likes the style of the chapters well enough, and he is quite sensitive to boring. There are worksheets, and some are better than others. There's usually more than one per chapter, so I just print the one(s) I think is good. There's lots of good experiments (i.e. demonstrations), more than I am able to accomplish, especially with a demanding baby, hence the Bill Nye as a follow-up (a video of a demonstration is also good, yes?). But if I was better at doing them, I think CP would be thrilled with all of the suggested activities.

I think the reading level increases each year, and I've never actually seen the chemistry course, so all I can say is that it is maybe worth looking into.