Menu

"Classics of Children's Literature": editions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6–what are the differences?

Hunter

Is anyone familiar with the textbook Classics of Children's Literature? Unlike most anthologies, this one includes mostly full novels.

This is the 6th edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Classics-Childrens-Literature-John-Griffith/dp/0131891839/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394741893&sr=1-1&keywords=Classics+of+Children%27s+Literature

I have the 4th edition, which does not include Charlotte's Web or Anne of Green Gables or the Velveteen Rabbit.

It looks like earlier editions included Dickens and Wilder.

I think Wizard or Oz, Secret Garden, and King of the Golden River, and the excerpts from Winnie the Pooh might be dropped after the 4th edition.

I'm curious if anyone is familiar with the different editions. I find it interesting to see which titles are included in an anthology with a limited number of pages.

I'd love to get a master list of all the novels chosen, even if for only one edition. I have a really really hard time narrowing down book lists. I'm thinking of using a master list from these 6 editions as the starting place to come up with a list of children's literature. I have a separate list for preparing for Great Books and serious adult study. And another list focused on cultural literacy again focused on what adults need to know. But I want a list devoted to CHILDREN to look at. But it needs to be CONCISE, because long lists just overwhelm me and make me give up.

I have the 2nd edition on hold at the library.

I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in compiling a master list, or comparing editions, if they can get any of these editions at their library. Or if they own any of them.

I think I have all of editions 2, 4, 5 and 6 typed up. Thank you KELLis for getting me started!

Classics of Children's Literature 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th.
John W. Griffith and Charles H. Frey

Charles Perrault (1628-1703)
The Sleeping Beauty in the Woods
Little Red Riding Hood
Blue Beard
The Master Cat, or Puss in the Boots
Cinderella, or The Little Glass Slipper

Mme le Prince de Beaumont (1711-1780)
Beauty and the Beast

John Newbery (1713-1767)
Mother Goose Rhymes
I won’t be my father’s Jack. Three wise men of Gotham. There was an old woman. Ding dong bell. Little Tom Tucker. Se saw, Margery Daw. Great A, little a. High diddle diddle. Ride a cock horse. Cock a doodle doo. Jack and Gill. Hush-a-by baby. Little Jack Horner. Pease-porridge hot. Jack Sprat. Tell tale tit. Patty cake, patty cake. When I was a little boy. This pig went to market. There was a man of Thessaly. Bah, bah, black sheep. There were two blackbirds. Boys and girls come out to play. Dickery, dickery, dock.

The Brothers Grimm
Jacob (1785-1863); Wilhelm (1786-1859)
Snow-white. The Frog Prince. Hansel and Gretel. Rumpelstiltskin. Mother Hulda. The Bremen Town Musicians. Aschenputtel. The Fisherman and His Wife. The Brave Little Tailor. The Wolf and the Seven Little Kids. Rupunzel. The Robber Bridegroom. The Almond Tree. The Sleeping Beauty.

Hans Christian Anderson (1805-1875)
The Snow Queen: A Tale in Seven Stories. The Little Mermaid. The Princess and the Pea. The Tinder Box. The Little Match Girl. The Swineherd. The Emperor's New Clothes. The Steadfast Tin Soldier. The Ugly Duckling.

Peter Asbjornsen and Jorgen Moe
(1812-1885); (1813-1882)
East o' the Sun and West o' the Moon
The Three Billy-Goat's Gruff

Edward Lear (1812-1888)
A Book of Nonsense
There was an Old Man in a tree. There was an Old Man in a boat. There was an Old Person of Philoe. There was an Old Man of the Dee. There was an Old Man who said, “How.” There was an Old Man who said, “Hush!” There was an Old Person of Bangor. There was an Old Man with a beard. The Owl and the Pussy-Cat. The Dong with a Luminous Nose.

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)
A Christmas Carol

John Ruskin (1819-1900)
The King of the Golden River

Carlo Collodi (1826-1890)
The Adventures of Pinocchio

Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888)
Little Women Part 1 only,
up to chapter 23 Aunt March Settles the Question.
Part 2, the later chapters were originally another book.

Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Mark Twain (1835-1910)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Frances Hodgson Burnett (1849-1924)
The Secret Garden

Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)
Treasure Island
A Child's Garden of Verses

Joseph Jacobs (1854-1916)
Tom Tit Tot
Jack and the Beanstalk
The Story of the Three Little Pigs
The Story of the Three Bears
Henny-Penny
Molly Whuppie
Lazy Jack
Johny-Cake
Master of All Masters

L. Frank Baum (1856-1919)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Kenneth Grahame (1859-1932)
The Wind in the Willows

James M. Barrie (1860-1937)
Peter Pan

Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)
The Jungle Book
Just So Stories

Beatrix Potter (1866-1943)
Peter Rabbit
The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin

Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867-1957)
Little House on the Prairie

L.M. Montgomery (1874-1942).
Anne of Green Gables.

Jack London (John Griffith) (1876-1916)
The Call of the Wild

Margery Williams Bianco (1880-1944).
The Velveteen Rabbit.

A. A. Milne (1882-1956)
Winnie-the-Pooh

C. S. Lewis (1898-1963)
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

E.B. White (1899-1985).
Charlotte’s Web.

I wasn't thinking to break the list into grades. I just wanted the list I wanted to complete over K-8.

There are about 20 novels here, some poems and some stories. So, that's 2-3 novels a year.

If someone else wants to put these books in order of difficulty and/or assign grade levels that would be great. I don't know the websites with that information.

I'm just so pleased with this list as a supplement to the Michael Dirda list of "patterning works", that I hadn't thought any further.

Does anyone know the source of the illustration in the 5th edition cover? I squinted at my screen and decided it was Irene Haas; I thought maybe from the summertime book, but I checked it out of the library and, while similar, did not find that picture. It is darling.

I bought a bunch of old editions of this to send to people with few books. Thanks to dsmith from the previous thread. And to Hunter for starting threads that inevitably turn up these gems.

Someone else on this forum recently told me about the book. I think it might have been in the only 6 books thread. I think I'm going to need to figure out who it was and give them credit.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the artwork.

I think I will keep a children's poetry book going plus Mother Goose year round for poetry. And I will keep a running book of short stories from the children's list plus one novel from the children's list. The Bible is a constant. This leaves about 12 novels and the Shakespeare plays. That would be one per month. I will have to think about how to fit in Shakespeare. I don't know if he is better read fast or slowly. This only leaves out picture books. Maybe one per day.

Well I am thinking this :

April- Bulfinch's Mythology
May The Iliad
June The Odyssey
July Plutarch
AAugust Dante
September Arabian Nights
October Arthur
November Don Quiote
December Robinson Crusoe
January Gulliver's Travels
February Pride and Prejudice
March Sherlock Holmes

stm4him :grouphug: but also :banghead:

All of Plutarch in a month? The 2 volume Dryden version or something else?

I've been collecting hardcopy versions of volumes for the Dirda list, and they are BIG books and HARD books. And I have a copy of one of the Classics of Children's Literature anthologies, so all the novels and stories combined from all the volumes would be twice that, I think. I could do the children's list in year, easier than the Dirda list, unless I was using all picture book editions and adaptions of the Dirda list.

This thread is the children's list. You have me so confused this week. I love you, but you still have me confused. :)

What's the rush? This is said in curiosity not confrontation.