Menu

What programs can you use to make and save your own copywork?

Amy M

I would like to make my own copywork sheets to go along with WWE2 in a couple of months. I'm looking for a program, preferably free, but maybe there are none, where I can type the sample sentence(s) in cursive (preferably the style of cursive we're learning--ABeka, but I don't care too much if a few of the letters aren't exactly the same) with dotted lines underneath for the child's copied sentence(s). Then I would like to be able to save them as a file on my computer for future use with my other kids.

Someone told me about Handwriting Worksheets, which has close enough cursive (except that all the first letters of words--like "g" in give--start at the baseline, and it won't type an exclamation mark!), but I can't save those for myself in the future or to send to a friend. I also heard about Zaner Bloser's FontsOnline Sampler, which also has slightly different cursive, and I would have to "upgrade" to save documents ($33 for 1-year access). I'm working on a Mac. Any ideas for something cheaper?

We use educational fontware.  You install it and use it just like any other font on your computer.  So you create and save documents using whatever program you normally use.  It was a very good investment for us.  I use it all the time for all sorts of reasons.  I believe Abeka is one of the fonts they have in their package.

Most fonts they have you can use it with the ruled lines, without the ruled lines, with directional arrows, without arrows, etc.  LOTS of choices.

I remediated my own handwriting, and then started making my own handwritten worksheets.

I had so many problems with the technology, and wasted so much time and money. And printer paper is slick, and not the best for students to add crayon drawings. The crayon flakes off. The yellowish cheaper papers are actually better for crayon that whiter papers.

I create handwritten worksheets for all subjects. Remediating my own handwriting gave me so many more options to teach exactly what I wanted.

I like this paper. It trains a student to write on real notebook paper, by teaching them to correctly make the lowercase letters 1/3 of the way up the paper. And it's toothy enough to hold crayon.

http://www.amazon.com/School-Smart-Cursive-Notebook-Margin/dp/B003U6MZSQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_op_1

I use the ZB site.  I did exactly what you are talking about except I didn't save mine.    I don't have the upgraded version of ZB.  You could scan the pages in as PDF's to save that way.  I printed the pages and bound them into 2 workbooks each 16 wks.  It didn't take me long at all so I wasn't worried about saving it.  However, I did recently post asking if anyone had subscribed to ZB online and someone posted with a discount code making it $15 instead of $35 or whatever it is.  So, that might be worth it.  I don't feel like searching for the thread right now, but it's in general ed and it was just a few days ago. If you search Zaner-Bloser, I'm sure it will come up.  :)