Menu

Book ideas for 10/11 year old discussion group?

I am teaching a small 'Literature' co-op class this fall, and I need 3 books that would appeal to 10/11 year old boys and girls. We are going to do some projects and light analysis.

I was thinking about using Dr. Doolittle, just because it's fun, but I don't know...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Once upon a time...lol...I know co op can be tough in this regard...is there any chance you can stop by the library and ask the children's reference librarian for alternate suggestions in case it's a poor fit for one of the kids? You might want to have several titles in line maybe?

Junior Great Books has reading lists also if you wanted a variety of stories and discussions. Just for the record, Doolittle would be fine by me.

You may want to do some additional reading on Dolittle....there's some really racist bits that weren't considered such at the time.

Deconstructing Penguins is a great book on having book discussions with some lists. If your library has it, it's definitely worth checking out!

Hope you have fun with the group.