Menu

Getting tired of puppy brains! What to do?

caitlinsmom

Two weeks ago dh brought home a puppy, 8 weeks old Border Collie/Pyrenees mix. He's a beautiful boy with caramel coloring like his mama but he has his dads size. He is great with the kids, is getting the chewing under control, and so far he has been fine with the chickens. The problem is the potty training!!!!

Tonight I am standing with the door wide open and calling for him. He comes running over, takes a look outside then walks 2 feet away and starts to pee! What! This happened 3 times today all within 4 feet of an open door. He did really great last week with two accidents. This week he just pees wherever he wants to. It is driving me crazy.

I have never done the puppy phase before, heck I don't even particularly like dogs, so this is a whole new thing for me. I though he was doing so well last week. I almost reconsidered my disinterest in the canine species. :)

How do we train him quickly and efficiently?

I'm not a dog trainer, but you sure got a tanker full of trouble! I thought we would be fine with our choice of pup in November, a 6 week old supposedly Border Collie/Blue Heeler. At this point we think she's part Australian Kelpie and we know the mother is a blue heeler. Our pup looks just like a Kelpie. In her early weeks she was very nippy and trying to herd any of us...but you didn't ask for that kind of advice. Yeah, she was like your pup too but we run out the door with her and keep running until we're an acceptable distance from the door. Snow, cold, rain, warm, coat or no coat, we run her out into the yard. We were making sure to take her out every hour to pee, yes, every hour.

We learned to do the dominance down posturing with her when she would get too nippy.

Soon, but it's not soon enough imho, we are taking her to obedience class.

ALSO, I would insist my dh give the dog at least a 15 minute run out side before he goes to work. These are working dogs and he will become destructive if bored. We've been wearing our pup out by just running her at least 4 times a day. They have non-stop energy.

Good luck. Post a picture!

Edited to add: I don't think your dh will become destructive if bored, just your puppy. :laugh:

We tether all new dogs and puppies to us with a leash. When they are out of the crate and not being actively held or played with, they are attached to my waist via the leash. It really helps them learn the rhythm of the family, keeps them from chewing things they aren't supposed to, and they usually won't tinkle or potty that close to a person.

He needs to go out the second he wakes up, every 30 minutes-1 hour when awake, and after drinking or eating anything.

Just remember a 10 week old pup is a baby, accidents happen because he was left to roam, not scooped up and put in the grass quick enough, or maybe just for forgot, because after all, he is just a baby.

When accidents do occur I try to clap or something not too scary but somewhat abrubt, then I pick them up, take them to the grass and let them go.

I also have a party everytime they go in the right place, think over the top silly happy sappy puppy party, complete with yummy treats that are in my pocket all day long so I can catch them being good and reward whenever possible!

ETA: please don't ever rub his little nose in an accident, or scold and spank/punish him after the fact. Seriously if he eats your shoes, or goes in the house, get out the rolled up newspaper and proceed to give yourself 2 good whacks for waiting too long, or not puppyproofing!

I'm not a dog trainer, but you sure got a tanker full of trouble! I thought we would be fine with our choice of pup in November, a 6 week old supposedly Border Collie/Blue Heeler. At this point we think she's part Australian Kelpie and we know the mother is a blue heeler. Our pup looks just like a Kelpie. In her early weeks she was very nippy and trying to herd any of us...but you didn't ask for that kind of advice. Yeah, she was like your pup too but we run out the door with her and keep running until we're an acceptable distance from the door. Snow, cold, rain, warm, coat or no coat, we run her out into the yard. We were making sure to take her out every hour to pee, yes, every hour.

We learned to do the dominance down posturing with her when she would get too nippy.

Soon, but it's not soon enough imho, we are taking her to obedience class.

ALSO, I would insist my dh give the dog at least a 15 minute run out side before he goes to work. These are working dogs and he will become destructive if bored. We've been wearing our pup out by just running her at least 4 times a day. They have non-stop energy.

Good luck. Post a picture!

Edited to add: I don't think your dh will become destructive if bored, just your puppy. :laugh:

:D

I didn't think about the bored factor. I will have to figure out a "job" for him. He does like to rope pull with the kids.

I have been taking him out every 1.5 but I will bump that up to every hour.

I also have a party everytime they go in the right place, think over the top silly happy sappy puppy party, complete with yummy treats that are in my pocket all day long so I can catch them being good and reward whenever possible!

What kind of treats do you recommend? The ones we picked up give him horrible gas, like cover your mouth and run because you will taste it for 30 min after the fact, horrible gas. :)

ETA-- Picture of the cute guy before he had a good bath and a combing.

post-1750-0-83343300-1360046913_thumb.jpg

What kind of treats do you recommend? The ones we picked up give him horrible gas, like cover your mouth and run because you will taste it for 30 min after the fact, horrible gas. :)

I use meat that I cook, all those funny bits on the chicken breasts, or pieces of grisly meat from a roast, as well as little rounds of string cheese, green beans, etc. I do pat the meat with a paper towel as much as can to keep the slime down.

I cut it all up and keep it in tiny snack size baggies in the fridge, they fit great inside a hoody or lightweight jacket pocket, or even stuff down in my jeans if I need to.

Dry cat food is also great for clicker training, its only a nibble and they don't have to chew, but it is so rich and fishy!

you can also just use their normal dry food if you have a super food motivated dog like our hound.

The big box pet store sells antlers for dogs to chew on, our girl loves hers. She's got a nyla bone, a rope knot chew toy, a small rubber kong thing (you know, you can put a treat inside it), small tennis balls that you really have to keep an eye on for tears, an ice cube is a great treat for a teething pup.

She is learning to play fetch very well. When she misbehaves she gets put into the crate and I think it really helped curtail her mischievous behavior. Yeah, I read that if these working type dogs aren't given a job, they will find one. Very funny. I keep hearing stories about them pulling the siding off of homes. Gasp.

The kids take her out for long periods of time, up to an hour, to run and play fetch.

Our reward treats are the puppy milkbones. i know we used one brand of dog treat and she threw up. Throws up the treats from the vet's office too.

I break the milkbones in half when rewarding because after a day of rewarding her for going potty, she was telling us she had to go out when really nothing would come out! She loved the praise and getting the treats!!! After a few weeks you probably won't have to reward her for going potty.

I fill my kongs and freeze them, it makes them last a lot longer and is great for teeth pups, I also LOVE Buster cubes, they are kind of noisy on hard floors, but it will keep them busy for a long time knocking it around to get the kibble out.

WE don't do tennis balls, I have heard of too many retriever types with awful dental problems linked to something in the tennis balls themselves. I do similar sized solid rubber balls instead.

Short 5-10 minutes sessions many times a day of positive obedience training, using a clicker or just regular positive reinforcement will help bonding, and to wear them out.

It is a little handheld doodad that when you press the button makes a sound like a ballpoint pen clicking but louder. It signals then exact moment when they complete the desired behavior, and works so much better than just a voice praise. They cost about 2 dollars at any pet store and it is just super fun to shape new behaviors using them, and seriously they learn so fast using this tool.

I now primarily train my dogs using hand signals/body language and the clicker and have seen amazing results. Dogs are HIGHLY to our facial expressions and body language, and the clicking sound cuts through the verbal clutter that is really just noise to them. They as a species "speak" human incredibly well, but they don't speak english.

I don't know if that makes any sense. I could go on and on, but Google some videos on Youtube, and I can fill you in more on how to get started if you want.

For a working breed dog I would really really recommend it though, he will have a lot of brain power and need to be challenged! Plus I love to see their eyes light up, and to see them learn to think, and to do it all in such a peaceful fun way.

I have been taking him out every 1.5 but I will bump that up to every hour.

IME even once a hour isn't enough for a puppy that young. I'd be aiming for every 30 minutes. I know, I know. It's hard to do. But remember the more successful he is, the quicker he'll catch on. Hard work now pays off. And every week you can lengthen the time between potty trips a little.