Menu

Crossfit for someone way out-of-shape?

Sun

I've hit my 40s, and I've realized I need to do something to get back into shape. I've lost flexibility, agility, and strength, and I don't want to continue down this out-of-shape path. I want to feel reasonably fit again and not worry about starting an old-age decline now!

I've been intrigued by Crossfit, but I'm wondering if I'm too out-of-shape to even try this at the moment. Do I need to get in better shape before I can even try something like this? If so, what would people recommend?

I'm also completely intimidated by the idea of taking a class with all of these super in-shape people while I can barely lift a heavy book...

Advice?

Personally? I know a lot of people who do Crossfit, and I would want to start with something at a lower pace. Jumping into something that places that hard of a strain on your body would make you prone to injury. I'd start with something more like Couch to 5k or a Bodypump class and gradually move up from there.

I am *WAY* out of shape and way heavy too. My oldest son and daughter aren't much better (if any). We all started CrossFit last week. We were paired with a trainer the first day and got all the help we needed otherwise. We were supervised (there are 2-3 coaches milling at all times) and given modified workouts. I was encouraged to come on in, that I could start with a 5 pound weight while someone else started with 95pounds. It just is individualized.

Anyway, we LOVE it. I'm so glad we have this opportunity. It was hard work, but I feel like it has a purpose and in a month or two, I'll see major results. I'm so excited.

BTW, our gym gives you 3 (or so) classes free to try it out, get the hang of the idea, etc.

You can do this. I would start with a fundamentals class or a few one on one sessions with a trainer so that he/she can help you with modifying the workouts so that you can be successful. It is such a thrill to be able to see the progress you make over time.

After about a year and a half I still can not do the workouts as written, but I have come a long long way. It is an amazing feeling to lift those weights and realize that you are actually capable of things you didn't know you could do.

I've wanted to try it for so long now but we just cannot afford it. BUT, what I've heard from both my doctor who does it faithfully and my neighbor who is super-fit, that the GOOD CrossFit gym will modify your workout to your ability. From my doctor: you do need to be careful. Not all gyms that advertise CrossFit are REALLY CrossFit.

At our gym, on the WOD (workout of the day) board, it has the main WOD; but then he lists the modified based on the people there (and again, newbies get direct help). So for example, in a week or so, it'll say "H" for me and my kids (or say one of our names) and we'll do that side of the board instead of the other side. Anyway, and of course, you modify in known ways or ask for help when you need.