Menu

How long for wisdom tooth extraction misery?

Lizzie in Ma

DD16 got her top right wisdom tooth extracted Friday morning. She was supposed to get both top ones done but she was shocky by the time they got the first one out and due to her other physical issues the dentist didn't feel comfortable continuing. It was a tricky extraction done with Novocaine only.

The bleeding is mostly stopped but her face is still very swollen and when she took out the gauze it got very painful. She said the pressure of the gauze helps keep the pain level down.

At what point, if this continues, should I have it looked at do you think?

Guest inoubliable

I'd call the dentist today to see what they say. I've never had much pain after any extraction beyond 2 - 3 days. All bleeding stopped after 24 hours for me. I hope she feels better soon!

I had all 4 of mine removed at the same visit, with Novocaine only. They did not hurt me much by day 3. I wasn't on any pain killers. I had zero issues with them, though (dry sockets). A teen girl at my church got hers our recently and suffered greatly before they realized she had a dry socket. She said keeping it packed helped. Maybe your dd has a dry socket? I have a fairly high pain tolerance, so ymmv.

When ds had all 4 removed, he was told the worse day for pain and swelling would be day 3. After that it should lessen. I'd call your dentist to get their opinion. It certainly couldn't hurt. My son was also given pain medication so I got the impression they were anticipating more than mild discomfort. He used 2 of them, one on day 1 and one on day 2. After that he was fine.

Dh had his out a few years ago. I only remember him being really uncomfortable for a day or two. By the third day he was pretty normal just a bit swollen. Had them all out so swelling was balanced.

If the pain is severe at this point I would call the dentist. I had a dry socket with one of mine which was very painful--my pain increased. This was a long time ago but something was done that was quick and realitively easy -- my dentist lived next door and did it for me at home because it was a Sunday. I think it was just some gel squirted in and repacked with cotton. Antiboitics too.

If she has a fever call now. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I hope she starts feeling better today.

Ds recently had his wisdom teeth extracted. He only had 3 but he was anesthetized (standard at this practice). He felt pretty lousy for 3 days but had off and on bleeding for about 5 or 6 days. After a week he got an infection in one socket--not dry socket though--for which he was prescribed an antibiotic. He also mentioned compressing the sites made it feel better. Really it ended up being about 10 days before he was all back to normal and his went fairly well. He was able to manage his pain with motrin/tylenol and didn't take any prescribed pain meds. He also had minimal swelling. A friend from school had her teeth extracted the same day and she swelled up a lot--like a chipmunk cheeks.

There is such a range of reactions to wisdom tooth extraction. Sounds like your dd's reaction is within the normal range but it might be reassuring to check with the doctor anyway.