Menu

Arthritis medication question: Diclofenac

My doc prescribed Diclofenac (i.e. Voltaren) for my arthritis and it has worked wonders for the pain and feverish feeling in my hands but my stomach is messed up. My stomach (actual organ, not just the general abdomen) feels very acidic and my intestines feel unsettled. I make sure I take it with food and it's fine for the first few hours but then a few hours later my stomach hurts. Gaviscon, Tums, and Prevacid have not helped to settle things, nor has additional starchy and/or foods that are basic (rather than acidic).

Does anyone have any other suggestions for how to keep taking this med without feeling miserable?

There is a OTC thing called Prelief that makes things less acidic. It might be worth a shot.

Otherwise you may need to reduce the acid in your diet. Coffee, soda, citrus foods, tomatoes, fruit juice (particularly cranberry), artificial sugars, spicy food, and alcohol are generally the worst things for reducing acid. Other things like sourdough, are acidic but people might not expect that. I cannot have MSG at all.

Carbs are not necessarily low acid. Those would be bananas, apples, almonds, chicken breast, brown rice, oatmeal.

I have a bladder condition and I have to switch to a low acid diet when it flares up.

This is my diet list when I am having issues. This is for my bladder condition but it is also something that people with acid reflux also use.

http://www.ic-networ...icnfoodlist.pdf

How long did you try the Prevacid for? Diclofenac didn't work much for my psoriatic arthritis, but I'm on Mobic now and have the same issues you are having. I have to take a Prevacid daily in order for it not to bother me and I've had ulcers before also from Aleve so the doctor wants me on Prevacid anyway. It can take a week or so to really kick in and work. Good luck, I know how nice it is to be able to take something that finally works.

I originally took strong NSAIDS like Voltaren (and it was Voltaren, for a time) for about 10 years for Rheumatoid arthritis and then I developed esophageal spasms. Those feel exactly the same as heart attacks and weren't pleasant at all. Prior to that time, I had developed several times gastritis due to NSAID and had used various anti-acid medications for that- propulsid, prevacid, etc. Then for ten years, I didn't use NSAIDS except tried one every once in a while and I would immediately get esophageal spasms again. FOr the last two years, I can't have NSAIDS even without stomach issues because of warfarin use.,