Menu

If your child was sick shortly after swimming

For the second time in 7 days would you assume it was something in the pool?

Dd had a swimming lesson this afternoon and 3 or 4 hours later has a terrible headache, fever & stomach ache.

Last Thursday we swam in the same pool and she was sick for three days afterwards.

There is a lot of stuff going around here and before last week's illness we had been to that pool with 50 plus kids at a homeschool end of year party, to a large watermark, the beach and multiple parks with relatives who were visiting.

Yesterday we were at the local urgent care because I had to get a tetanus shot as a follow-up the the run in I had with my own tennis racket while attempting to play Tuesday so I'm sure there were plenty of germs there, too. Should I just assume we're having bad luck or suspect that the pool might be the problem. Her swim instructor was out a few weeks ago in the hospital with e coli they said came from food but now I'm suspicious.

For the second time in 7 days would you assume it was something in the pool?

Dd had a swimming lesson this afternoon and 3 or 4 hours later has a terrible headache, fever & stomach ache.

Last Thursday we swam in the same pool and she was sick for three days afterwards.

There is a lot of stuff going around here and before last week's illness we had been to that pool with 50 plus kids at a homeschool end of year party, to a large watermark, the beach and multiple parks with relatives who were visiting.

Yesterday we were at the local urgent care because I had to get a tetanus shot as a follow-up the the run in I had with my own tennis racket while attempting to play Tuesday so I'm sure there were plenty of germs there, too. Should I just assume we're having bad luck or suspect that the pool might be the problem. Her swim instructor was out a few weeks ago in the hospital with e coli they said came from food but now I'm suspicious.

It does sound suspicious and I would think the same as you. One summer, our dd had strep throat 3 times and we swam a lot. The dr. said it was probably coming from the pool and she also was antibiotic resistant. I believe pools are culprits of illness, no doubt. When my dc were younger, they would have loose stools after swimming and it was from swallowing water. They never were too ill, but definitely were affected by swallowing the water. If it was me, I think I would discontinue going to that pool. Take care.

I would call a local pool company and ask if they would test a sample of the water for you (many test water for free). They can see if it is the right level of chlorination or not. If it is low, I would file a complaint with the health department. They won't be able to test for ecoli specifically, but they can tell if the chemical levels are in the healthy range.

If it is in range, I guess you have to trust your gut. No pun intended.

I believe it is also possible for a person to have those types of symptoms after extensive exercise, so it could just be an exhaustion/dehydration/fuel issue. Ds was a swimmer for years. He HAD to eat before practice because he would get sick afterwords due to his body burning muscle (he had almost no fat on him).

I would call a local pool company and ask if they would test a sample of the water for you (many test water for free). They can see if it is the right level of chlorination or not. If it is low, I would file a complaint with the health department. They won't be able to test for ecoli spedifically, but they can tell if the chemical levels are in the healthy range.

I believe it is also possible for a person to have those types of symptoms after extensive exercise, so it could just be an exhaustion/dehydration/fuel issue. Ds was a swimmer for years. He HAD to eat before practice because he would get sick afterwords due to his body burning muscle (he had almost no fat on him).

I was thinking dehydration before her stomach started hurting. She is very skinny and any time she swims she eats before and is starving right afterwards. I also considered that maybe she wasn't quite over the weekend illness and today just wore her out.

Right now she is whiney and miserable which is very out of character for her

You can test the chlorine easily yourself. Just go to anyplace that sells pool supplies and buy a small container of test strips. Stick the strip into the pool water and read the chlorine pad 15 seconds later.

http://www.shopthegreatescape.com/products/product_info/1121_aquachek-yellow-chlorine

Edited by laundrycrisis

How old is she? I ask because my son did this the summer he turned 4. We were feeding him nut bars and trail mix afterward and he was developing his tree nut allergy.

Otherwise, I support everything everyone else has suggested.

She is 7

She did eat some trail mix before so that is not outside of the realm of possibility. She has been struggling with headaches for a few months with no discernible cause so we've tried eliminating food dyes but haven't done a true elimination diet yet. I thought this was unrelated because of the fever and stomach ache. The recurring headaches are mild and don't slow her down at all.

DD13 was diagnosed with abdominal migraines in 1st grade. She would get a stomach ache, head ache and was very tired. After an abdominal ultrasound, a visit to the neurologist with an MRI, we finally figured out that they were triggered when she pushed herself to the point of exhaustion. We had to make her take some down time everyday. She is a naturally athletic, active person. It was hard to tell her to take some time out each day, but when ever I didn't....she would get 'sick' and it wouldn't go away until she slept it off.

DD13 was diagnosed with abdominal migraines in 1st grade. She would get a stomach ache, head ache and was very tired. After an abdominal ultrasound, a visit to the neurologist with an MRI, we finally figured out that they were triggered when she pushed herself to the point of exhaustion. We had to make her take some down time everyday. She is a naturally athletic, active person. It was hard to tell her to take some time out each day, but when ever I didn't....she would get 'sick' and it wouldn't go away until she slept it off.

Thanks for this suggestion. I hadn't heard of this before but it probably explains my unexplained migraines during my childhood. I was athletic. Dd not so much but she plays hard and rarely naps or falls asleep quickly at night. She's been known to stay up in her room in her bed until the wee hours. She is very obedient but also constantly thinking and has trouble shutting that off at night. When she first fell ill on Friday it was after 10 days of lots of long days and nights playing with her cousins who were visiting. Today it was after swim lessons. Maybe it is a bug and the start of migraines which I had at her age.

I sure stinks when your kids are sick and you don't know what to do to fix it.

I would call a local pool company and ask if they would test a sample of the water for you (many test water for free). They can see if it is the right level of chlorination or not. If it is low, I would file a complaint with the health department. They won't be able to test for ecoli specifically, but they can tell if the chemical levels are in the healthy range.

Great idea. You may also want to add a probiotic to help fend off future bugs.