Menu

Would you allow your 8th grader to pick an elective based on friend?

• 3 weeks later...

Thing about it is...not only does my son seriously dislike this class....the elective..but I do not like the teacher. The teacher does not teach the class..literally. It is called multimedia..and she leaves the students to have access to the cameras and computers and such..including unlimited unwatched access to the internet..and does her own things during that class.

Plus...this friend is my son's only friend..but he admits he has not even tried to say hi to another child. My son has gotten in to trouble when with this child including a detention. I have caught him lying to me at home with regards to things with this child. As a result, we had to tell our son not to bother inviting this friend home anymore. However, we realize that we do not want our son going to his house.

Regardless, our son has dropped all his interests in the name of following this child around. In high school, they will not even be in any classes together at all..that is pretty much guaranteed. (our son is on the gifted track and this child takes no college prep or accelerated classes at all). Our son plans to go to college. We had repeated discipline problems with DS last year, which may just be the age and have nothing to do with the friend. It was mostly stuff like not turning in his school work and refusing to do his work in class. The teachers do not communicate really so what I do know is the bare minimum. I do know he backed talked a few times to his teachers too. One time..he picked a physical fight something he had not done before this past year, and it was a situation that involved this friend. Again, I do not know that my son was innocent, he may very well be the leader in the bad behavior.

But when DH and I were growing up, we never picked our electives or courses or colleges or careers or anything else based on a friend. BTW, I need to add, my son clearly cannot be that close of a friend as he has not bothered to call the kid and the kid has not called him. When the friend was visiting, he back talked both me and DH and lied to us about something which is what led us to say no more.

Have you asked your son why he would choose to take a class he doesn't like just to be in the same class as the boy? If he feels very uncomfortable in his other classes because he has no friends, having that one course with a friend might make it bearable. Electives are optional classes. I wouldn't be concerned about which electives he takes so long as he is meeting the requirements to get to the next grade. Multimedia actually sounds like a fabulous class. Have you spoken to the principal or assistant principal about the unlimited access to the internet in that classroom? I'm only familiar with my local school district but the kids cannot access simply anything. Many sites and subjects are blocked. My dd16 has been using computers in most of her classes in high school. I'm sure that will continue for her Junior and Senior years as well. I just mention that because it might be the same for your son in high school, especially since he's on the gifted track.

My son has gotten in to trouble when with this child including a detention. I have caught him lying to me at home with regards to things with this child. As a result, we had to tell our son not to bother inviting this friend home anymore. However, we realize that we do not want our son going to his house.

Regardless, our son has dropped all his interests in the name of following this child around. In high school, they will not even be in any classes together at all..that is pretty much guaranteed. (our son is on the gifted track and this child takes no college prep or accelerated classes at all). ....... One time..he picked a physical fight something he had not done before this past year, and it was a situation that involved this friend. Again, I do not know that my son was innocent, he may very well be the leader in the bad behavior.

But when DH and I were growing up, we never picked our electives or courses or colleges or careers or anything else based on a friend. BTW, I need to add, my son clearly cannot be that close of a friend as he has not bothered to call the kid and the kid has not called him. When the friend was visiting, he back talked both me and DH and lied to us about something which is what led us to say no more.

(((I'm not an afterschooler, but i saw your post on the main forums page))) ;)

so... the bigger question isn't about the elective, but the relationship.

Yes, it is absolutely fine to pick an elective course based on friendships.

It is NOT fine to allow an unhealthy relationship to continue --core class OR elective. Just because one child is following a GT track doesn't guarantee they will not be in any other classes w/ other kids not on that same track. I was in the GT program and had plenty of times/ classes where I was chumming w/ non-GT kids.

If you don't slam your foot down pretty hard, pretty fast, with some serious consequences your son's college aspirations will be lost in detention. No GT program will make up for that either :(

Good luck!!

Peekaboo....nice to see you again. Did I mention DD wants to be a pilot? I thought I would throw that in as your DH is the only pilot I know who might do lessons. Anyway, hope to see you sometime. You have not seen our new house yet but our number is the same in case you wish to call.