Menu

Give me your best ideas for helping my sick ds (11)

Symptoms include: VERY sore chest (hurts to breathe), sore throat, cough, fever (101.5 - 102). Started Sunday night.

We went to the dr yesterday. His ear looked slightly infected. Dr. also thought pleurisy. (Ds' chest pain is REALLY bad) Throat looked clear. REcommendation was Advil to reduce the swelling in lungs so he can breathe. Dr is going out of town and also gave me a prescription for an antibiotic if it continues too long.

Today: Advil is doing nothing to the fever or his sore throat. It does seem to help his chest though. He's miserable and is begging for the antibiotic.

I think that this is viral (two other siblings had very similar fevers recently) and really don't want to go with the antibiotic. What do you think? He just gets so sad I want to cave in and do anything to make him better!! What else can you recommend that may help?

I'd start him on the antibiotic. An illness can start out as viral and then progress to bacterial. In my experience, waiting on an antibiotic too long may allow the infection to become so bad it needs 2 or 3 courses of antibiotic to eliminate it completely. If it's viral, the antibiotic won't make it any worse. If it's bacterial, now would be the time to start the antibiotic.

Did your doctor say it would be okay to double up on the first dose of antibiotic? That's what I always do, as it takes some time to get the blood levels of the antibiotic up to where they start doing some good.

Is he resistent to antibiotics? It actually doesn't sound viral to me, but I'm certainly not a DR! I'd give him the drug. Things can start out viral and become bacterial.

No, not resitant (as far as we know). He's never actually had an antibiotic. He's never been prescribed one before!

Can I ask - why does this sound bacterial to you? I guess I don't know the difference by symptoms! I was basing it on the fact that my other two were sick like this (minus the sore chest) and got over it themselves.

I would go ahead with the antibiotic as well. Especially if he doesn't take antibiotics much. I know what you mean about seeing your child miserable and wanting to help make it all go away. I feel for you. I'll say a prayer for him.

Thank you! He (and I) could use it!! This child wakes up in the middle of the night halucinating when he has a fever. It's scary!! I'm sure tonight will be better though.

I'd give him the antibiotic too.

My 13yo and 10 yo are getting doses of aleve, echinacea, Vitamin E, and chewable Vit C tablets since they seem to be coming down w/ what DH had this past weekend. I don't give them nearly as much as I crammed down dh, but I hope it helps anyway. It did wonders for dh, but i made him take several doses throughout the day.