Menu

Has anyone switched from Heart of Dakota to Sonlight?

jer2911mom

I have read about people switching from Sonlight to Heart of Dakota, but not the other direction. I am using LHFHG this year with my Ker and while I like the hands-on activities and the Christ-centered approach, I miss the great K literature and feel my dd is not learning there is a whole big world out there beyond the United States. I almost ordered Sonlight this summer, but felt led to try HOD instead. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to provide the biblical worldview I was looking to give her and I didn't want to figure out activities on my own. Now I feel more comfortable with tackling the topics that seem questionable to some who have used Sonlight and had issues with some of the books at each level. I also feel like I can provide activities through other resources if needed. I just want more learning through literature. It seems HOD does more of that after LHFHG, but I'm not sure I want to wait. I wanted more living books for K, and we just aren't getting them. The history uses two CLP books and the science uses another CLP text. My dd loves science experiments, so I'm thinking SL science would be fun for her as well. I feel like if we switched, my dd probably wouldn't be showing her daddy the fun crafts/artwork she's done each day, but would instead be telling him the neat things she has learned. Has anyone else experienced this and made the switch? What has you experience been with SL compared to HOD? Thanks!

Wellllllll. . .

I guess I'm one who switched from Sonlight to HoD. :001_smile: Here's my comparison. To put it in a nutshell, Sonlight focuses on content, HoD on content+skills. I do like Sonlight's books as well, so their titles become my library request list, and my son reads and enjoys them in his free time. I feel this way we get the best of both worlds.

I can't speak for the science as we didn't use that part.

I'm using LHFHG and have used SL Pk 3/4 and 4/5 and my older dd used cores 1,2 and 7.

I have no intentions of going back to SL. But I understand why you are thinking about switching. I am getting so tired of the Burgess books and my dc aren't really paying attention to them.

But....SL doesn't address skills like HOD and I do not like SL's LA program at all! I am thinking about adding some of SL's book to HOD. If you look at the read alouds for Beyond, you will see that most of the book are used in SL too.

LHFHG is a Bible History and American History program which makes it hard to compare to SL K.

I would be too big of a chore to add to SL what HOD already has when it comes to activities, art, crafts and skills. It would be much easier to use HOD as my main curriculum and books from SL in the early grades (k-2). Once you start Preparing, the issue is gone.

I have used SL K, 1, 2, 3, & 4 as well as HOD Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, and part of CTC. If my child were the crafty type, I would stick with HOD and add in some SL titles. I agree with a pp on the SL LA....didn't work out here. I also don't feel as pressured with the HOD schedule. And, I am not a crafty person, so if my child were that type, HOD lays it all out for you.

I have used SL K, 1, 2, 3, & 4 as well as HOD Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, and part of CTC. If my child were the crafty type, I would stick with HOD and add in some SL titles. I agree with a pp on the SL LA....didn't work out here. I also don't feel as pressured with the HOD schedule. And, I am not a crafty person, so if my child were that type, HOD lays it all out for you.

It's nice to see you've used so much SL and HOD. So are you only using HOD now? Do you supplement with SL books? I kind of have the feeling that if I can hang on until Beyond, things will start to improve as far as having the additional literature that I am seeking. But I'm still not sure I just want to focus on American History the first few years. How do you like SL K and 1? I like that they focus on the world beyond the U.S. and other cultures. I've been considering doing the right (skills) side of HOD with SL history and literature. Thanks!

It's nice to see you've used so much SL and HOD. So are you only using HOD now? Do you supplement with SL books? I kind of have the feeling that if I can hang on until Beyond, things will start to improve as far as having the additional literature that I am seeking. But I'm still not sure I just want to focus on American History the first few years. How do you like SL K and 1? I like that they focus on the world beyond the U.S. and other cultures. I've been considering doing the right (skills) side of HOD with SL history and literature. Thanks!

Actually, I started the year with my 5th grader in HOD CTC and my 1st and 2nd graders in Beyond. I am switching everyone over to MFW in January in an attempt to be able to do history/science/bible as a family. Plus, my younger kids found the CLP history books boring. Also, if I had it to do over again, I like the fact that HOD covers Am. History first, but they do it several years in a row. Then world history in Preparing and again in CTC. My kids were asking why they were studying the same thing again....although it is from a different perspective. You do get into much more rich literature as the levels progress.

I did SL 1-4 with my step-dd. Then when ds started K, I just ordered SL. It was all I had ever used. I liked all of it well enough, but I had never used anything else. When it was time to start Core 1 with ds, I was not looking forward to it. I think it was more the fact of doing all the same stuff again, not SL in general.

So, I switched to MOH and ds and I both really enjoyed it. I felt that I needed to be doing more though since I had used SL for so long. I was not good at bringing in read alouds and Bible, so I switched to HOD. I would probably stick it out with HOD at this point if it were not for the fact that I want to school these subjects as a family. So, for now, MFW looks like it will serve us well.

I feel that my 5th grader needs to start focusing in these areas a little more, so we will stick to a curriculum now. But, if I only had the younger kids and knew all that I know now, I would do interest led reading for science and history, then read from various children's Bible and devotion sources.

To put it in a nutshell, Sonlight focuses on content, HoD on content+skills.

But....SL doesn't address skills like HOD

I've been thinking about what you both said and I was wondering if you could elaborate specifically on what skills you think HOD covers/addresses that SL does not. Are any of these things addressed in the SL LA that you do not like? Thanks!

Also, if I had it to do over again, I like the fact that HOD covers Am. History first, but they do it several years in a row.

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to clarify, are you saying that you did not like that HOD does Am. History several years in a row?

Also, where are you going to start in MFW? Thanks!

I've been thinking about what you both said and I was wondering if you could elaborate specifically on what skills you think HOD covers/addresses that SL does not. Are any of these things addressed in the SL LA that you do not like? Thanks!

Sorry it has taken me so long to answer your question. I haven't been home.

If you will go look at the samples from core 1 IG at SL you will see that the IG is a reading list with questions to discuss and map work. There is vocab, but all you do is discuss it with your dc. There is no "work" that accompanies the reading. All the "work" is in the LA/Reader IG. If you don't like the LA, there is no work for your dc to do. Because the reading program is incorporated in the LA, if you don't want to use SL as your reading program again you are missing all the written work or "skills"

HOD incorporates all the "work" a dc does across the curriculum. It is not tied into your reading program or LA program. You narriate, copy, draw, do vocab notebook, do dictionary skill and crafts in all your subjects on a rotation. In SL you only do these "skills" in the LA program (minus crafts). I like that all these skills are incorporated across the curriculum instead of just in LA. Many people think HOD is "light", but I think it is sneaky.:D You use R&S for grammar and the spelling lists or dictation passages for "LA" and the rest of the LA program is integrated across the curriculum. I prefer my dc to do all these skill in all the subjects, not just LA. I think is helps cement what there are learning. If you compare SL core and LA IG's 1,2 & 3 with Bigger, Beyond and Preparing, you will see what I am talking about with the work being across the curriculum and not just in the LA/Reading.

SL science is ok. There are more experiments for younger dc, but it is not quite cohesive as you might think. The experiments don't line up with the science books your dc is reading. I tried the science worksheets years ago and thought they were not age appropriate. They may have been modified since then.

You also have to look at the cost. You need to buy a separate Core, LA and science IG. With HOD you only need one guide, not three. The suggested math and electives are not scheduled in the SL IG's. You have to schedule them yourself.

I understand your frustration with the CLP books. But the biggest focus a dc needs in k and 1st is reading, handwriting and math skills. My older dd doesn't remember studying ancients using SL 1 in first grade.:001_huh:

The reason I don't like SL LA is the use of Ruth Beechick Language and Thinking book used in SL LA 1. The Beechick book is way too unstructured for me. Most people either love or really dislike her methods/books. Ms. Beechick helped write the entire SL LA program. I prefer CM to Beechick.

I would try adding some of core K book as read alouds before I made the investment and switched programs. Really compare the guides. SL is very expensive and it sound like you are just desiring more living books to read.

We have used Sonlight K. It is just a list of books. That's what the big difference is: nothing more than a list of books. I was really dissapointed with Sonlight K (and yes, we switched to HOD :)).

Nobody stops you from getting the books (from the library or Sonlight) and read them aloud whenever you can. But in my opinion, HOD offers so much more than just a list of books....

Re Sonlight Science K: It was a great program. Mind you, we used it with a first and 2nd grader, so they got a lot out of it. If you use it with younger students, be prepared some of it to go over their head. We did all the internet links. I think this is what made it special. We did the experiments too. Good stuff.

Re: Sonlight LA: a big flop. We stopped doing it after a while. It didn't work at all...

Depending what level you're in, HoD covers: narration, copywork, dictation, mapwork, notebooking, timelining (is that a word?), dictionary skills, vocabulary, spelling, written narration, research skills, outlining, memorization, literature and poetry analysis, sketching and painting, picture study, working through the scientific method, Bible-study skills, and plain ol' following directions with the goal of increasing independence.

It's not that SL doesn't include skill-building, it is just that it is not the focus of the curriculum. You spend the bulk of your time reading. HoD schedules the skill assignments methodically and frequently through their programs, and one program builds upon another.

Tabrett's post was excellent.

Edited by birchbark

Maybe someone already mentioned this, but HOD does NOT do American History several years in a row. LHTH is Bible history for little ones, LHFHG is mostly Bible history with some more present day stuff as well, BLHFHG is American History with a focus on events and places and such, BHFHG looks at American History from a totally new perspective using Biographies (we loved this approach!) There is some overlap but not at all redundant. Then PHFHG is a one year sweep of World history in preparation for the next four guides to focus on each part of the history cycle.

As to the living book issue mentioned by the OP, have you noticed the wonderful book list in the appendix of your guide?! GREAT resource for lots of wonderful books by unit.

As to the living book issue mentioned by the OP, have you noticed the wonderful book list in the appendix of your guide?! GREAT resource for lots of wonderful books by unit.

I did notice it, thanks. When I looked up the books in my library, they were not there. It's probably because in LHFHG they are books with biblical content. I was frustrated that I could not find them in my library. I'm sure that in other guides where the history is not covering the bible, the books would be much easier to find.

This is one of my main reasons I love Sonlight. You really do develop an understanding and love for the whole world and a grasp of the flow of world history. My personal impression is that Sonlight focuses on the world and world history more than any other Christian curriculum out there.