Menu

MUS Pre-Algebra or Chalkdust Pre-Algebra?

This may be a totally 'duh' question but I'm feeling kind of foggy lately and I need to place an order.

Dd13 just finished Zeta and I want to start her in Jan. on pre-algebra. I know I want to try Chalkdust for Algebra so should I just go ahead and get the pre-algebra from them too? I guess my concern is that I don't know if going from MUS to Chalkdust is going to be a big leap in difficulty and I don't know whether to go ahead and make the switch now or wait another year (for maturity), or however long it takes her...she did Zeta in 20 weeks. She thinks MUS is easy but that may just be her. (dd11 thinks it is akin to having her fingernails peeled off :glare:) Her goal is to get through Calculus by the end of 12th if that makes any difference.

TIA.

We combined Singapore and MUS all the way through Zeta and Singapore 5B. Once she finished, we tried Thinkwell Pre-Algebra. That didn't go well for her because of the very fast pace, difficult practice problems and not enough review. At semester, I switcher her to Chalkdust and it went much better. I found it to be a very typical "textbook" approach, different than MUS--more material at once and more difficult problems. She didn't enjoy the dvd lectures because they were too long winded for her so I just taught the concept and she would do the work. I think it was a pretty good transition from MUS to chalkdust.

Chalkdust Basic Math?

We will tranisition from RS E to Chalkdust Basic Math. ( cheap version via Pongo's method)

You may want to look at it.

AND RS is perhaps going to have a prealgebra program, some big Right STart announcement in a few days.

inspired by your post , we may look at RS prealgebra then go to Chalkdust prealgebra.. I know that doesn't help with the MUS question, I just thought I'd muddy the water. your welcome

~christine in al

Edited by christine in al
poor grammar.

I think MUS Zeta to Chalkdust Prealgebra (without having done Singapore as well) would be a big jump. Have you seen the Aufmann text that Chalkdust uses? You might consider doing MUS Prealgebra first, then Chalkdust Prealgebra, then CD Algebra.

Jackie

Haven't done Singapore but I forgot to mention that she has done LoF fractions and decimals and percents. Would that make any difference in your opinion?

I would buy a cheap, used copy of the Aufmann text (a few dollars on Amazon) and see what you think. The text is actually a remedial college text, not a middle school text, so the pages are very dense, with small type and a lot of practice problems. The video lectures were also originally commissioned for remedial college courses, so they tend to be loooong and a bit dull. He's no Steve Demme. ;)

I can't find my copy of the text (not sure if I lent it out or stuck it somewhere unusual), or I would look through it again and see how quickly it ramps up from where your DD would be after Zeta and the first 2 LoF books. I'd be mostly concerned about things like negative numbers, graphing functions, and simple equations; I just don't remember if Aufmann assumes some background in those things or teaches from scratch. Hopefully someone else who has the text can chime in.

Jackie

I would buy a cheap, used copy of the Aufmann text (a few dollars on Amazon) and see what you think. The text is actually a remedial college text, not a middle school text, so the pages are very dense, with small type and a lot of practice problems. The video lectures were also originally commissioned for remedial college courses, so they tend to be loooong and a bit dull. He's no Steve Demme. ;)

I can't find my copy of the text (not sure if I lent it out or stuck it somewhere unusual), or I would look through it again and see how quickly it ramps up from where your DD would be after Zeta and the first 2 LoF books. I'd be mostly concerned about things like negative numbers, graphing functions, and simple equations; I just don't remember if Aufmann assumes some background in those things or teaches from scratch. Hopefully someone else who has the text can chime in.

Jackie

Thanks Jackie. I think I will get just the text like you suggested. (I have had it on my wish list on Amazon for about 5 months.:tongue_smilie:) I will need it anyway if I go with your suggestion of doing MUS Prealgebra first and then doing CD Prealgebra. I'm inclined to go with MUS first but she is really pushing to get into Algebra before the end of her 8th grade year (She's in 7th now) so I suppose I should let her look through the CD book with me so we can make an educated decision. She really has taken off in math in the last 6 months. I'm having a hard time keeping up with her. Thanks again for helping me think through this.

I have the 5th edition Aufmann book, so I'm not sure what might have changed. It does go into detail on a concept without assuming much prior knowledge. At the same time it moves quickly and can be challenging at certain points. We are using the online materials for extra practice and I just requested an instructor's account for the additional materials so my DD can work more problems over a few days. My DD doesn't have the Singapore background and finds the application problems more challenging than the rest. We found it easiest to watch only one objective on the DVD's per viewing rather than an entire section and then my DD does the coordinating problems for that section.

I am actually debating using the Aufmann Algebra book in place of the Larson one since Dana Mosley now makes text specific materials for that text as well.

I have the 5th edition Aufmann book, so I'm not sure what might have changed. It does go into detail on a concept without assuming much prior knowledge. At the same time it moves quickly and can be challenging at certain points. We are using the online materials for extra practice and I just requested an instructor's account for the additional materials so my DD can work more problems over a few days. My DD doesn't have the Singapore background and finds the application problems more challenging than the rest. We found it easiest to watch only one objective on the DVD's per viewing rather than an entire section and then my DD does the coordinating problems for that section.

I am actually debating using the Aufmann Algebra book in place of the Larson one since Dana Mosley now makes text specific materials for that text as well.

I will keep the above in mind, thanks. I'm looking at the table of contents now and I do think there are some things that are going to be totally new to her. I'm going to let her take a look at the CD but I'm still thinking we may need to do the MUS 1st.

I would do MUS pre-algebra then go to Chalkdust pre-algebra. Since she went through Zeta quickly, there is a good chance she will go through pre-algebra quickly too (ds is finishing it in just over 1 semester). It fills a lot of gaps that MUS has left in previous years and rounds out the elementary math series.

I think jumping from Zeta to Chalkdust pre-algebra would be a shock!

I would do MUS pre-algebra then go to Chalkdust pre-algebra. Since she went through Zeta quickly, there is a good chance she will go through pre-algebra quickly too (ds is finishing it in just over 1 semester). It fills a lot of gaps that MUS has left in previous years and rounds out the elementary math series.

I think jumping from Zeta to Chalkdust pre-algebra would be a shock!

Yes, I agree; just looking at the TOC shocked me! I think she could start MUS in Jan. and be done by May. Doing another round of prealgebra in 8th will put her behind her projected schedule of being able to get to Calculus by her 12th year, but I told her that if it is that important to her she will just need to continue math through her breaks. 5 high school math courses in 4 FULL years...I wouldn't want to do it but I think she may be able to pull it off. We will see how she feels about it after I get the CD text and let her take a look at it.

My dd went from MUS Zeta straight to Chalk Dust prealgebra. It's been challenging for her. She sailed through MUS but has struggled a bit with Chalk Dust.

A couple things: Chalk Dust introduces operations on integers very early on (working with positive/negative numbers) and this really tripped her up. I had her work thru the first Key to Algebra book on integers and she has it solid now. But, in the Aufman book every subsequent lesson on decimals, fractions, etc will have them working with positive/negative values so it's very important they get it. OTOH, we looked at Lial's Basic College Math and she doesn't introduce integers til way later in the book.

So while I thought in theory that Chalk Dust prealgebra would just be a solidifying of her arithmetic skills plus some bonus topics, it's been more challenging than we thought it was going to be.

I finally convinced her it was important to watch the DVDs as she assumed because she knew how to divide fractions, that she didn't need to. :tongue_smilie: So we also do it where she just watches the DVD for the day's objective and does the corresponding odd problems in the book.

Best wishes on making a decision!