Menu

Help with Anatomy

Am I crazy or way off base to consider this? My ds, who is a rising junior and does not plan to major in math or science (thinking business/pre-law right now), has taken Apologia Biology and Apologia Chemistry. I'm planning for him to do Physics his senior year, either Apologia or through the local CC. I really want him to have some Anatomy, though I'm not sure he needs the extent of Apologia Anatomy & Physiology.

What I'm considering is a Charlotte Mason style course on Anatomy. Would that be able to count as a science? He doesn't need the lab, since he had that with Bio & Chem, right? One thing I know is I'd like him to read "Fearfully & Wonderfully Made" by Phillip Yancey. I'm also thinking of incorporating Total Health in some way.

Any other ideas on how I could put this together? Or am I just way off base?

You might consider The Teaching Company's course, Understanding the Human Body: An introduction to Anatomy and Physiology. My oldest used this because I wanted him to have a human body component to add to his Apologia Biology. It is one of TTC's best programs, IMO.

As far as the rest of your idea goes, I think it's definitely do-able and looks like fun. We're doing Total Health this year as well.

Will anatomy count as a science? I'm no authority on how to count courses, but check to see if you can count something as science without lab - that's probably the deciding factor.

Without lab, it could probably be part of health class.

Anatomy is a great choice - we all have bodies and should know how to talk about the parts to our health-care providers, at the minimum.

If you do not want to go into a full-fledged A&P course, you might find a medical terminology text book. Find one that goes through the body systems (here is companion website for a text book - check out the table of contents http://wps.prenhall.com/chet_fremgen_medterms_3/22/5634/1442306.cw/index.html ) and is a workbook type - fill in the blank, label drawings, etc. A number of health professions programs are offered at the local community college (very good programs) and they all require medical terminology. It is considered fairly easy course if you keep up with the work. You can search google or amazon for text books to find something that will work for you.

Best wishes.

I did a little searching on your topic.

Here is one resource that looks interesting. It's a living books approach to Biology. Perhaps something there might suit your purposes.

Planning for High School Biology with Living Books by Jamie McMillin

For lab experience, is there any possibility that your son might be able to connect with a local veterinarian?

Regards,

Kareni

Am I crazy or way off base to consider this? My ds, who is a rising junior and does not plan to major in math or science (thinking business/pre-law right now), has taken Apologia Biology and Apologia Chemistry. I'm planning for him to do Physics his senior year, either Apologia or through the local CC. I really want him to have some Anatomy, though I'm not sure he needs the extent of Apologia Anatomy & Physiology.

What I'm considering is a Charlotte Mason style course on Anatomy. Would that be able to count as a science? He doesn't need the lab, since he had that with Bio & Chem, right? One thing I know is I'd like him to read "Fearfully & Wonderfully Made" by Phillip Yancey. I'm also thinking of incorporating Total Health in some way.

Any other ideas on how I could put this together? Or am I just way off base?

I am turning this idea over in the back of my mind, as well. Ds has a lot of hands-on experience with such things, and even considers being a doc. But I want him to have a chance to explore in high school, not just read textbooks. I really want him to take advantage of the medical experiences our family has with doctors and such -- field experience of some sort. Maybe even an EMT course?

I was also thinking of the Yancey book you mentioned & videos, including a TC course as someone else mentioned.

If you use Total Health, the junior high has more anatomy than the high school.

Hewitt uses a simple coloring book with Total Health junior high, which is much less overwhelming than most anatomy coloring books, but still detailed enough that I might use it.

Apologia's elementary series has a new anatomy book out this year that looks like it might be a good reader. I also thought of running through Body by Design. And of course we have Lyrical Life Science if you want goofy memory songs - maybe we can keep all those systems straight one day :)

Some of the science kits put together by Home Training Tools look interesting -- blood typing, germ collecting, etc. You can also do the usual doctor stuff -- BP, glucose, lung volume, vision, etc.

I've also been listening in with Barb Shelton & Ruth Beechick groups about thinking outside the box regarding high school sciences. I know it used to be more common with the early homeschoolers.

I probably won't do a full year, but if nothing else, the course could be called introductory anatomy, couldn't it?

Julie

You might consider The Teaching Company's course, Understanding the Human Body: An introduction to Anatomy and Physiology. My oldest used this because I wanted him to have a human body component to add to his Apologia Biology. It is one of TTC's best programs, IMO.

As far as the rest of your idea goes, I think it's definitely do-able and looks like fun. We're doing Total Health this year as well.

This is on sale right now with the other high school courses. $129.95 sale, $519.95 regular price. I'm considering buying this too. :)

I'm going to do something similar with dd, who is not going into math or science but is very interested in anatomy, especially the brain. She will read Fearfully and Wonderfully Made, and The Gift of Pain by Dr. Brand. She'll also read Body By Design and work out of Kapit's Anatomy Coloring Book. She has already read a few books about the human brain and will read more, along the lines of Oliver Sacks books. She will also watch a DVD series on the brain that I'm going to get at our library. And she'll do labs, because she loves to dissect things. If other opportunities come up, we'll take them!

I would love for her to watch the Teaching Company anatomy series, but for some reason she's not interested in learning this way and it's too big an investment (time and $$) if she's not committed.

It's interesting to read how others are doing this. Great thread!

I am put such a course together for my son. Here are some of the books he is or will be reading;

What Darwin Didn't Know: A Doctor Dissects the Theory of Evolution-Geoffrey Simmons

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made - Philip Yancey

Gifted Hands

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat

Total Health

Body by Design

The Way We Work

Anatomy coloring book

The Human Body Book (Book & DVD)

The Disease Fighters: The Noble Prize in Medicine

Our library has 15 copies of the TT's Understanding the Human Body: An introduction to Anatomy and Physiology, you might want to check your library for it.

Fearfully & Wonderfully Made DVD Dr. David Menton

Hope this gives you some ideas to spring board from.

Thanks, everyone, for these fantastic ideas.

Kareni, that's a great site -- thanks for finding it for me!

Rebecca, that book list it great -- I had a couple of them already, but certainly not all of them.

LatinTea, is the dvd set still on sale? I must have gotten a hundred email offers in the last few weeks from TTC but of course today can't find one in my old email or my email trash :glare: When I go to the site it says that dvd is $595 -- too much for my budget!!

I'm not planning on any labs with this, since ds already has 2 labs (bio & chem) on his transcript.

Thanks for ideas -- keep them coming!!