Menu

Is Alg I really enough for Apologia Chemistry?

Hey everybody!!

My dd has an opportunity to take Chemistry in the fall but she will have completed only Alg I (Chalkdust, with high scores). According to Apologia website, that is all the prerequisite necessary but I've had several friends advise me to postpone chemistry until she is in Alg II (she'll be in geometry next year).

Also, would it be okay to go straight into Chalkdust Alg II and do geometry another time (if the Alg II really is needed for the chemistry)? My chalkdust DVDs have both the Alg I and the Alg II lectures so we could easily do that with just a purchase of the textbooks.

What sayeth the hive? And how is everyone? I smiled when I logged in and saw all the familiar faces(names). :D

Hi Robin,

I can't answer your question but just wanted to say hello! How are you? Are you still working full time? How's dd's violin coming along?

Take care,

VH

Hey everybody!!

My dd has an opportunity to take Chemistry in the fall but she will have completed only Alg I (Chalkdust, with high scores). According to Apologia website, that is all the prerequisite necessary but I've had several friends advise me to postpone chemistry until she is in Alg II (she'll be in geometry next year).

Also, would it be okay to go straight into Chalkdust Alg II and do geometry another time (if the Alg II really is needed for the chemistry)? My chalkdust DVDs have both the Alg I and the Alg II lectures so we could easily do that with just a purchase of the textbooks.

What sayeth the hive? And how is everyone? I smiled when I logged in and saw all the familiar faces(names). :D

at our local school all students take chemistry in 10th grade , they take geometry in 10th (unless they are advanced) and take algebra 1 in 9th. So they are taking chemistry a year before they take algebra 2.

Also I have Wiley Self teaching Guide for my dd and it states that only algebra 1 is necessary before taking the class. So I would think that you can believe what Apologia says about only algebra 1 being necessary before taking their Chemistry.

My ds2 just complete Apologia Chemistry and did well. He studied Alg. I in 8th and was working through geometry concurrently with chemistry. Alg. II was not necessary for him to understand or be able to work the chem problems.

Lisa

Apologia Chem has very clear directions/teaching for the math part--only Alg 1 is needed.

Ds struggles in math and did well with the concepts in Apologia Chem. Even I finally understood how to convert different things and balance equations, and I'm REALLY not "mathy."