Menu

Simple audition song for a 7 yr old girl?

My (then 6 yr old) dd had a very small part in a local community theater's Christmas production and I think the acting bug has bit. :001_smile:

That's great for her as it is something that can be her own - as in her big sister is so NOT an actress/singer. But she has a tone deaf mother and father with no experience at all with either singing or acting.

Anyway she wants to try out for the summer musical and she has to have a song prepared. For the Christmas show she just had to sing a holiday song and they provided musical accompaniment.

I need ideas for a cute age appropriate song. I am truly at a loss. Maybe I am overthinking this but all I can think of are the old Shirley Temple songs or maybe something from Annie. She wants to sing something from Cats but all of those seem too hard for a child of her age. Any ideas would be appreciated?

Thanks,

Cindy

PS The musical is Honk! (which I have never even heard of before).

Castle On A Cloud from Les Miserables. I just love that song. So precious when sang by a child...like young Cosette in the musical. Very easy to learn, range is not difficult. My dd used this as her audition song when she was 9 and auditioned for a comm. clge. production. Good luck to her!

Castle On A Cloud from Les Miserables. I just love that song. So precious when sang by a child...like young Cosette in the musical. Very easy to learn, range is not difficult. My dd used this as her audition song when she was 9 and auditioned for a comm. clge. production. Good luck to her!

My dd just sang that one for her audition. She has also sung Part of Your World from Little Mermaid. A song from Annie would be nice (Tomorrow or Maybe)

I would think any folk song would do. I doubt it needs to be a show tune. I'd think You are My Sunshine, or something along those lines would be fine. Or, another song that she knows well, that has a nice melody (not too repetitive of the same 3 notes, over and over). :) Disney movies have some wonderful songs. I have a songbook of all Disney songs that my dd uses for her voice lessons. They're very melodic and pretty. If your dd has a favorite song from a Disney movie (Cinderella, Pocohantas, Mulan, etc.), you could pick up a similar book. I would definitely pick something she likes, and already knows well, so she can really ham it up at the audition.

. . . they likely have books of songs specifically selected for children. I know there is one that is all pieces from Disney musicals that are appropriate for kids to sing and another from Broadway shows.

Some of them even come with CDs that have each song in the book both with and without someone singing, so you can hear how the song is supposed to sound but then use the instrumental track to practice (or even as accompaniment during the audition).

Here's the B&N link to one of these: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?r=1&ean=9780634048005

Oh, and here's the link to the publisher's website with the list of books that have solos for kids: http://www.halleonard.com/featureResultsList.jsp?featureCat=300005&li=yes&location=Vocal

Have fun!

She probably knows some Disney songs and she can add some dancing or acting/motion to go along with it. They are likely looking for more than a voice... they probably want to see some expression and some animation while she sings.

iTunes has tons of karaoke Disney songs available if she needs to bring her music on cd. Honk is a delightful show!