Menu

Which correspondence schools are accredited?

I know about Calvert, Alpha Omega, Seton, American, and Oak Meadow. Are there others?

Are there any that don't use Saxon Math? Or, more specifically, are there any that use (or would allow me to use) Video Text? Are there any that allow you to use different levels of curricula for different subjects? Are there any that give you a choice of curricula?

I'm asking because I'm considering the future possibility of my 6th grade dd attending high school. We have a good charter school locally, but they don't accept any credits from non-accredited schools (not even brick and mortar private schools). She's finishing up 6th grade, and I'm considering using Video Text Algebra for grades 7 and 8. If successful, she will have all of Algebra I and II finished before high school. It sounds great, but if we decide to try high school in 9th, none of her Algebra will count, and she'll have to start over with Algebra I.

Furthermore, if we decide to keep her home for 9th, but put her in school for i0th, NONE of her 9th grade work at home will count. She'd have to repeat every grade we did at home (unless we did it through an accredited institution -- hence my question, above).

Maybe it's just the winter doldrums, but I'm feeling trapped. We've always homeschooled, and always planned on continuing through high school. But, I've only recently realized that I really may not have a choice. Dd may just be too advanced for school, and it will probably always be that way.

I probably just need to bite the bullet, and start planning on how we're going to do high school. I'm just tired.

Any been-there-done-thats?

Really, you just have to look around using your search engine to find them. We used Calvert for 6th grade and really liked it but it was too structured for us and we wanted flexibility. Calvert will let you take the core classes with the advisory teaching service but without their math. They write their own math textbook but the math is "a la carte" with Calvert so you can actually pick your own math, although Calvert will not give you credit, that is it will not be on your Calvert transcript, only the other classes (science, language arts, history, etc.) I have considered doing this, since I still feel uneasy about "missing something" in ds's learning and I wasn't crazy about Calvert's math. I may check with my county to see it is okay to send them a transcript from Calvert for the core (that does not include math) classes and a portfolio for math. That being said, if your dd is very advanced, could you try other options like Teaching Textbooks for math? It teaches each step very thoroughly and I feel confident that we will be able to keep using it even for more advanced math(ds is in 7th now and taking Algrbra I). Also, instead of sending her back to ps as she get older, maybe you could consider dual enrollment at a cc or through online classes. If you don't relish the idea of sending her back to ps, there may be other options. I believe there is a well trained mind forum for gifted students here. Hang in there!

Hi, Suzanne in ABQ--we're in Cedar Crest! We use Clonlara (in Michigan); I tell NM that we homeschool, so that my son may be eligible for highschool sports. (He must be homeschooled or at a private or charter school in NM to play one varsity sport--that's what the law says). Clonlara provides an accredited diploma (which we want for future NCAA possibilities), as well as the freedom to use the curricula we want.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are different kinds of accrediting agencies, and some private schools and correspondence schools are not accredited by agencies recognized by public schools and colleges. So as you look for "accreditation", look for the kind that public schools use. Keystone (which I don't think has been mentioned yet) is a good high school program that has this kind of accreditation, as do American School and Clonlara. The only option of those three that might allow you to use Videotext is Clonlara. Many of us consider Clonlara a very expensive option, for what it provides, but if it provides you with what you need (particularly peace of mind) it may be money well spent for you.

Exactly, Janet...I've used Videotext with my 13 yos, and with Clonlara (which we use because we live in New Mexico, where everything is subject to change at any moment...and because we want the accountability of the accreditation for future NCAA possibilities...)
What is the current situation with the lottery scholarship? When we last lived in NM (2000), homeschoolers could qualify for the scholarship if they either earned an acceptably-accredited diploma or took the NM GED.

Hi Linda,

We're in Sandia Park, so we're neighbors! It's East Mtn. High School that is giving me grief. I know kids who went to Prince of Peace School, did Algebra I in 8th grade, but had to take again in 9th because East Mtn. wouldn't accept the credit. Grrr.

I remember "talking" to you on the old board, years ago. It's good to connect again. Thanks for the tip about Clonlara. I'm going to check them out.

Thanks Janet,

I had that thought in the back of my mind as I was looking around at the different cyber schools, and noticing that they each had different accreditations. I'll look at our local charter school and see which ones they accept.

I hadn't heard of Clonlara, but if they'll give me some flexibility, and they're accredited by the "right" organizations to suit our local school, it would be worth the expense to go through them. I'll look into it.

Thanks for responding.

Calvert wouldn't work because it's mainly the math that I want to get credit for. I think I'm coming to the realization that we're in this for the long haul. I'm just too tired to admit it! :o Actually, I always thought I'd homeschool all the way through, but I kept ps as a sort of safety net in the back of my mind, just in case. I'm feeling like I'm up on the high wire, and I just looked down and noticed that the net isn't really there after all! I'm stuck in the middle of this wire and the only way to get to the other side is to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

But, we got this far, and we're doing fine. I don't really have any reason to believe we can't go the rest of the way. We actually have the option of taking just a couple classes at the charter hs, where the science and language arts teachers are very good. But, we won't get a diploma unless we can get credit for the math and other subjects we do at home. I'd like to let her take math there, too, but it may not be an option. Later, we'll use community college for higher maths and other subjets, too (but that means a trip into "town" -- 20 miles away). Again, we won't get an accredited diploma, but maybe that won't matter, especially if we can get an Associates Degree without it. (more research needed there)

Anyway, thanks for the words of encouragement. I appreciate it.

Do you want this for the purposes of doing a correspondence course or just to be accredited? A woman in my homeschooling group just told me about NARHS, which is not a correspondence school. You can have your high school work accredited through them. She's mainly using their printed material for record keeping, but is following their protocol in case there's ever a need for her kids to have an accredited high school diploma. With NARHS, you design your own courses and use what you like. Their website is http://www.narhs.org Now, she's the only one I've heard about this from, so I only have one reference so far.

Bob Jones is accredited? By whom? I didn't think their university was even accredited.

Just a heads-ups, a NARS diploma is not accepted by NCAA, as we found out to our dismay. They kept telling us that they just needed a few things workd out. Um, no, they'll never be accredited as they do not have kids taking classes in their building. That may or may not matter to you. :001_smile:

Okay, thanks for this information. Actually, the chief recommendation I got was for their record keeping books, which I may get (not sure yet).

Oh, for heaven's sake. Take a look at Southwest Secondary--it's a ride into Abq, but my friend says that her kids only have to be there for three hours/day...(East Mtn. wouldn't let a friend of ours play baseball for them without taking four courses, either...so my son will try out for Monzano <they already have two homeschoolers on varsity). Oh, yeah.

Someone said no, but I would doubt that...
I found some information online that says homeschoolers can qualify by taking the NM GED. Looks like it hasn't changed since we were there -- except that at that time, there was some concern that the program wouldn't have enough funding to continue.

I was having similar angst a little over a year and a half ago about accredited schools. My situation was that I wanted my dc to be able to do dual enrollment, partake in the HOPE scholarship (right away, without the year wait), and simplify the college application process in general).

I checked out national and local schools, but couldn't find one that was the "perfect" fit. While speaking to an admissions person at one of these schools, I relayed my feelings about this to her and she asked me "Why don't you get your homeschool accredited?" Duh. I hadn't thought of that.

Now, I'm in Georgia so I don't know how NM works. However, what I did was find the state accreding agency (Georgia Accrediting Commission) on the web and download their forms and began the process from there. Altogether, it probably took six months before I received accreditation, but now I'm accredited (the same as the local high school down the street)! (Honestly, it wasn't that difficult to do. I was already keeping the records they required.)

Perhaps you could solve your own problem by getting accredited? That way the charter school would have no choice but to accept your transcripts if you decided to put dd back in school later.

Just a thought.

I know about Calvert, Alpha Omega, Seton, American, and Oak Meadow. Are there others?

Are there any that don't use Saxon Math? Or, more specifically, are there any that use (or would allow me to use) Video Text? Are there any that allow you to use different levels of curricula for different subjects? Are there any that give you a choice of curricula? [/Quote]

Besides NARHS (which my partner's son used) and Clonlara (which I graduated from), there's also Sycamore Tree's high school program. Like the first two, Sycamore requires specific courses (ie, 4 math to include algebra, or something like that) but does not dictate how you teach it.