Menu

Topics for a Math paper...

My oldest is taking a math class at the CC. Her teacher is 'new'--his prior teaching experience includes Pre-School and 9th grade Math...

He assigned the CC class a 5-10 page research paper. Here are the ONLY instructions he has given (and he refuses to talk about the assignment in class or out of class!):

Choose a topic in Mathematics and write a 5-10 page research paper. Include 5 related problems and their full solutions. This is 30% of your total grade for the class.

That is IT!

DD needs a topic as soon as possible. Any ideas of something or someone in Math history that would be interresting for a photography major (NON math student) to research enough for 5-10 pages?

Thanks for any ideas--she wants ideas from someone OTHER THAN ME--not that she doesn't trust me--but...

What about the fibonacci sequence? Lots of interesting info around on that.

OR

I am working on an afghan for my mathie senior to take to college in the fall. It is a design based on the "Curve of Pursuit" - chase theory?

http://woollythoughts.com/afghans/pursuit.html

What course is she taking? That may help with ideas. I am enjoying the brainstorming! haha It is taking my mind off college decisions....

There are numerous proofs of the Pythagorean Theorem including one that uses paper folding. Another is a proof given by US President James Garfield. A paper could discuss the proofs and use of the theorem through history.

Another idea would be to write about the Golden Ratio, also known as the Divine Proportion, and its use in art. The Golden Ratio ties in with the Fibonacci Sequence which others have suggested.

How about optics? Has your daughter studied some physics?

Jane

Dd was encouraged by your quick replies and suggestions!

I had already suggested the Golden Ratio/ Fibonacci Sequence and she immediately asked for more ideas...(what could Mom really know--even if she is a Math major)

When she saw that several of you made the SAME suggestion she decided to do some quick research and decided that it would be something interresting to research!....

I'm happy and frustrated at the same time!

Thanks again---

This is for a class titled 'Math for College Students'--it contains math history and theory with some business application/consumer maths thrown in... I think she would have preferred a 'plug and chug' type course--but this will be good for her.

I would suggest going straight into that teacher's office and having a long discussion about exactly what kinds of things he was hoping to have people come up with. Those instructions are VERY vague -- more like topics given to advanced students who have read around enough to have their own particular areas of interest or questions. If you get nothing helpful, take one or two topics from the list people are suggesting or from websites, go back and ask whether one of these would be a good path to try.