What's with the ads?

Photo

Recipe containing cherry pie filling and Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk. . .

recipes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Suzanne in ABQ

Suzanne in ABQ

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3178 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:28 AM

My aunt used to make a desert that I loved as a child. I asked her once what it was and she told me it contained cherry pie filling and Eagle milk. It wasn't fancy, no crust or anything, just this wonderful pudding-like concoction in a big bowl. I don't know if there was anything else in it or not. I bought the two ingredients, and I'm thinking of just mixing them together to see what happens. But, I'd rather have the real recipe, if I can find it.

Does anyone remember a recipe like this? It would have been around in the early 70s (possibly earlier). Or, are there any websites that have old recipes cataloged by ingredient, that I might be able to search?

Thanks.

#2 JenneinAZ

JenneinAZ

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1766 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:32 AM

I don't remember this, but I did find a recipe that might be the one you are looking for.

http://www.eaglebran...081&category=-1

This is the list of all the recipes with cherry in them.

http://www.eaglebran...urseIDs=&OcIDs=

I hope you find what you are looking for.

#3 Suzanne in ABQ

Suzanne in ABQ

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3178 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:45 AM

I don't remember this, but I did find a recipe that might be the one you are looking for.

http://www.eaglebran...081&category=-1

I think this may be it! I don't remember the marshmallows, but I vaguely remember pineapple. It's definitely worth trying! I have everything except the whipped topping. Hmmmm. Maybe I can pick that up tomorrow.

As I was typing my post, I was thinking, "I should just go to the Eagle Brand website, and see if they have recipes." Then, I got distracted by the twins-coming-home-with-bad-language thread, and you beat me to it! Thank you so much!

My dear aunt, who used to make this at Christmas time, has advanced dementia. That's why I couldn't ask her. I wonder, if I made some for her, if she would remember it?

#4 Shawna in Texas

Shawna in Texas

Sodamistic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1205 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:51 AM

I think this may be it! I don't remember the marshmallows, but I vaguely remember pineapple. It's definitely worth trying! I have everything except the whipped topping. Hmmmm. Maybe I can pick that up tomorrow.

As I was typing my post, I was thinking, "I should just go to the Eagle Brand website, and see if they have recipes." Then, I got distracted by the twins-coming-home-with-bad-language thread, and you beat me to it! Thank you so much!

My dear aunt, who used to make this at Christmas time, has advanced dementia. That's why I couldn't ask her. I wonder, if I made some for her, if she would remember it?

My grandmother made this for Thanksgiving. She doesn't use the marshmallows, and hers is a purple color from the cherries. I do remember it being more of a light pink color when I was younger, but she changed brands.

#5 JenneinAZ

JenneinAZ

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1766 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:51 AM

I am glad I could help. I hope she likes it and it brings back good memories.

:001_smile:

#6 happi duck

happi duck

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4457 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:40 AM

Cherry Whip Salad

1 can cherry pie filling
1 can Eagle Brand milk
1 med. can crushed pineapple, drained
1 lg. Cool Whip
chopped pecans, if desired

Mix all ingredients & refrigerate.
Can be served soft or spread in a rectangular dish, frozen, and cut into squares.
Serves 10-12.

#7 Suzanne in ABQ

Suzanne in ABQ

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3178 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:51 AM

Cherry Whip Salad

1 can cherry pie filling
1 can Eagle Brand milk
1 lg. Cool Whip

Can be served soft or spread in a rectangular dish, frozen, and cut into squares.
Serves 10-12.

This sounds like the right one. Thank you so much for posting!

#8 Blueridge

Blueridge

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3927 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:52 AM

We make cherry salad every Christmas! Amazing stuff. My mom's recipe also calls for 1/4 tsp. of almond flavoring, which is a wonderful compliment to the cherries.

#9 JoyfulMama

JoyfulMama

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:45 AM

Cherry Whip Salad

1 can cherry pie filling
1 can Eagle Brand milk
1 lg. Cool Whip

Serves 10-12.

This is the one I have. But I never had a name for it - thanks for a name to write on the top of the recipe!

What's with the ads?