Menu

Spend, Share, Save Bank Ideas?

I've come across the concept of Spend, Share, Save in which you teach your children to divide their money according to spending, saving, and donating to church or other causes. I want my kids to make homemade banks but can't think of anything cute and creative. Any suggestions? Anyone do this? Thanks.

I've come across the concept of Spend, Share, Save in which you teach your children to divide their money according to spending, saving, and donating to church or other causes. I want my kids to make homemade banks but can't think of anything cute and creative. Any suggestions? Anyone do this? Thanks.

...I did this when I started giving DD an allowance at 4. I called them spend, save, and church. I didn't read this anywhere, I just thought it was a good idea. We used old margarine and cream cheese containers with a piece of tape with a picture on it on the side. Proof that pathetic and uncreative can work!

I always wanted to make a paper mache piggy bank using a balloon for the basic form, but never followed through and did it.

How about decorating large coffee cans and somehow dividing the inside into the appropriate number of areas (cardboard dividers??? Smaller cans glued to the bottom??), and putting the appropriate number of slits in the plastic lid above each area?

When we opened accounts for our girls at USAA, we received piggy banks that have "invest" as a fourth slot.

I've seen one that I'd like to replicate:

get 3 gabled milk or juice boxes and paint one to look like a store (spend), one to look like a bank (save) and one to look like a church (share). Then, cut slots in the tops for 'deposits' and glue them together, side by side.

I've seen one that I'd like to replicate:

get 3 gabled milk or juice boxes and paint one to look like a store (spend), one to look like a bank (save) and one to look like a church (share). Then, cut slots in the tops for 'deposits' and glue them together, side by side.

I love this idea! We tried gatorade bottles with pictures but the pictures didn't stick so well.

Cinder