Menu

Lial BCM before Intro. Alg??

boards use Lial's Basic College Math instead of the Pre-Algebra. It covers most or all of the prealgebraic concepts. However, I have not actually used the Pre-Algebra book myself! My girls did fine with BCM, but I admit they struggled with Lial's Algebra. However, some of that may well have been my fault, because I was not overseeing their work closely enough and relying more on the DVT's (digital video tutors; like a DVD) that accompanies the course.

BCM is different because it teaches the concepts FROM THE BEGINNING. It gives the student a FULL review of the concepts instead of relying on previous mastery. The Lial's Pre-Algebra text moves faster and does not go into as much detail as BCM does.

BCM worked wonders with my own dd. She had (apparently) missed out on some tiny 'sub concepts' (even though she was an A/B math student) and when she saw the whole picture in BCM she was able to fill in her gaps and suddenly it all made sense. It was easy for her to move from BCM to Introductory Algebra.

BCM is just a different type of Pre-Algebra level book.

For our teen, we used a hodgepodge of resources for pre-Algebra before jumping into Algebra with Lial's Beginning Algebra. My husband is currently tutoring a young student and using Lial's BCM successfully. He intends to use Lial's Pre-Algebra with her to cement the concepts before making the move to Lial's Algebra. It is just the best plan for this particular student.

Regards,

Kareni

Where do you find them? Ebay do not have any right now. Do you get them on the sale board on this board?

Holly

Holly,

I picked my set up on Amazon. I was lucky to find the text, solutions manual and DVT sold as a set for $27. It was listed as only the text, then when I clicked on "more info" it said it included the DVT's and solutions manual.

Good Luck!

ok I forgot to check to see if the solutions came with it. I bought it through the warehouse deal due to it being damage from shipping. They took the listing off after I bought it so now I will not know if it comes with the book or not. I did email amazon about it so hopefully they will get back to me on that ASAP.

Holly