Menu

Gluten Free food in the USA

We head over to your fine country in 8 sleeps time Woooo hooooo.

Everyone I know who goes to the US talks about all the food they are going to eat, all gluten laden.

So come on you gluten free people, give me hope that I will be able to enjoy some special treats too.

Tell me your favourite gluten free goodies. And also, what chain restaurants can I walk into that won't look at me with loathing when I tell them I can't eat gluten.

Cheer me up :) TIA.

What do you want to know?

There is lots of gluten free here.

Whole Foods is a grocery store with just about everything.

Many chain restaurants have gluten free menus - I don't eat at chains too much but I know for sure that "Outback Steakhouse", "Z Pizza", and "PF Changs" have them.

I was in Medford WI a month ago (Pop. about 10,000) and even their only grocery store (as far as I know) had an entire Isle (I mean aisle - I just learned form the post below how to spell that word correctly. thank you.) devoted to gluten free.

Here in CA there are small shops that specialize in just gluten free.

Edited by Jorsay

Our main grocery stores have a Gluten Free section or aisle, so you don't only have to go to Whole Foods (which has the largest section).

In addition, my son was gluten free for awhile and my mom does mostly gluten free and we don't have a difficult time here, most chains and restaurants mark which of their food are Gluten Free. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of excellant gluten around!

Thanks folks :)

I guess I was asking what is special and GF but I guess it's hard to figure out what is special and something worth seeking out from a foreigners POV lol.

One website I like is Cambrooke Foods:

http://www.cambrookefoods.com/

I have yet to find a gluten free pasta that tastes good... but saw a 5 star review for this:

http://www.tinkyada.com/

well, all my local stores carry some gluten free products. Enjoy Life, Glutino, Pamela's are the ready to eat snacks. Some other brands for cooking are there too.

As for restaurants you still need to be careful even if they offer gluten free meals since there are few places with dedicated kitchens.

I have eaten at PF Changs without issues. Tell them you need the gluten free menu and they bring it to you. If you have other allergies they print out a sheet with the meals you can eat. They seem to be more aware than other places.

I go online for restaurants and print out their menu ingredients and/or allergy lists if possible. I think if you are willing to ask/speak to cooks you can get gluten free meals most places. think meat without sauces, plain sides, fresh salads.....

where are you going? I have found many blogs dedicated to certain cities that people list local restaurants they have eaten with success. Your internet can really be a friend in connecting to the right places.

enjoy your trip! I want to go to Europe and my biggest fear in not going yet is the food issue,lol.

There are a lot of restaurants with gluten free menus. Google it before you go and you'll find good lists out there. For places that don't have a GF menu, I usually tell the waitress that I have a wheat allergy because that seems to get their attention more than just saying I need gluten free food. Even with a meal cooked gluten free, there's a high risk of cross contamination, so I carry GlutenEase just in case.

I usually carry my own dressing and snacks in case I'm caught out somewhere that's not going to be safe to eat.

Enjoy your trip!

Gayle

I am a gluten-free Canadian living in the states and I have to say life is much easier here. The selection of gluten-free foods is much better here. You can even buy GF brownie and cookie mixes made by Betty Crocker and cereal such as Chex. At Walmart they list the gluten content for each of their "store brands" and you can buy rice pasta for 1/2 the price of GF pastas in Canada. It's great!

For restaurants, I have eaten at Wendy's (chili and potato) without problem, Taco Bell, Burger King (salad without dressing) Five Guy Burgers (without the bun), and Ruby Tuesdays. Just google search Gluten-free foods for each fast food chain you think you'll visit and you should be able to find a list of menu items.

Enjoy your trip!

Heather

Some restaurants that offer gf menus:

PF Chang's

Outback Steakhouse

Uno's Pizzeria

Bonefish

Boston Chicken (Fast Food)

Lisa

There is an Uno's at Deep Creek Lake. Because it's in the boonies, your choices will be limited. But I'd think your best bet will be in the tourist area around the lake. There is a Foodland grocery store near the lake (across the highway from the movie theater) that might have gf food.

ETA: Some of my friends from back home are on facebook. I'll post and ask them if they know of restaurants that offer a gluten free menu.

Edited by LizzyBee

Thank you everyone :)

I'm going to do some Googling and see what I can come up with.

Elizabeth, good to know about Uno's, I do love Pizza!

Gayle/Daisy May, carrying dressings is a good idea!

Heather, Taco Bell is somewhere I was hoping to be able to eat, we don't have it here, so YAY!

We are going to New York City, Rhode Island (Narragansett Beach) Plymouth MA, Concord NH, Boston MA, Niagara Falls (Canadian side so we can say we visited Canada LOL), Erie PA (overnighting), Deep Creek Lake MD and DISNEYLAND. Oh yes, I'm a big kid at heart!

Edited by keptwoman

If you are in Southern CA or AZ, try In-N-Out... they have a gluten free burger called the "Protein Style":

http://www.in-n-out.com/secretmenu.asp

It is a burger patty wrapped in lettuce. Taco bell will make you just about ANYTHING (son and I have a special diet) from their menu as their basic ingredients are available. They even have a green tomatillo sauce at most locations... you do have to ask for it.

If you go to any supermarket, many manufacturers label "GLUTEN Free" on the front or back panels. Smart Balance margarine is gluten free, for example, and found in many supermarkets across the USA.

Chipolte will make you a salad bowl if you skip the flour tortilla. Lettuce, white cilantro-lime rice, and you pick the fixings from salsa to guacamole.

If you happen to go to a nice sit down restaurant, it is the law in the states for menu accomodations when you tell the waiter/waitress you have food allergies or a special diet. We've had the chef come out from the back and talk with us. He will figure out a special meal for our needs. Never had a problem with it. However, trained culinary chefs know this... your typical mom & pop cafe won't. LOL If you go to Disneyland, call 72 hours in advance to the hotel and they will make arrangements for gluten free meals. I've even gone to the eateries at Disneyland for the day (no hotel) and spoke with the chef and had special meals created.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/guestServicesDetail?id=GuestServicesSpecialDietaryDetailPage&bhcp=1

I liked Disneyland better than Disney World as it offered more fresh fruit and healthier (gluten free) choices in stands -- WDW was not like that. HTH!!

Edited by tex-mex

I am a gluten-free Canadian living in the states and I have to say life is much easier here. The selection of gluten-free foods is much better here. You can even buy GF brownie and cookie mixes made by Betty Crocker and cereal such as Chex. At Walmart they list the gluten content for each of their "store brands" and you can buy rice pasta for 1/2 the price of GF pastas in Canada. It's great!

Heather

That's so odd, many of the best GF goodies we have here in the states are from Canada. And Glutano (from Israel). I agree, look for Whole Foods, Trader Joe's for general shopping. Also look for Pamela's and Bob's Red Mills baking mixes, even at regular chain stores.

http://www.geocities.com/glutenfreenyc/home

http://www.glutenfreeregistry.com/

Have a wonderful and safe trip.