What's with the ads?

#1 Margo out of lurking

Margo out of lurking

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2815 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

Is there anything available online, and for free? A friend is using this book in her Classical Conversations class, and I'd love to use it too. But I need a lesson plan, complete with points to consider, discussion questions, writing assignments. What I really would like is CC's lesson plan for this--but I'll take anything!

#2 Dooley

Dooley

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:02 AM

Hi Kristine - I used this last year, along with Sister Wendy's history of art AND what I used as sort of my spine was the Barrons AP Art History test book. I had my dd read through each period of Art History in Barrons, then read in the two other books about the same period. Barrons then has them do a test and a small essay on each period. I supplemented these with vocab tests, Barrons also has a good vocab listing.

#3 MomsintheGarden

MomsintheGarden

Compost Feeder/Kitchen Slave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1497 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

Hi Dooley,

Thanks for the info. My dd is going to be studying for AP art history this year - would you mind sharing your student's AP score? I'd love to know what she earned using your approach. I've bought the REA AP study guide (recommended on College Confidential), and have the AML & Sister Wendy's, along with a lot of other art books.

Thanks!
GardenMom

#4 Luanne

Luanne

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3305 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:10 PM

Hi Kristine - I used this last year, along with Sister Wendy's history of art AND what I used as sort of my spine was the Barrons AP Art History test book. I had my dd read through each period of Art History in Barrons, then read in the two other books about the same period. Barrons then has them do a test and a small essay on each period. I supplemented these with vocab tests, Barrons also has a good vocab listing.

I'm thinking about doing it myself. I've been interested in this for a while and haven't done anything about it. Thanks for sharing.

#5 Margo out of lurking

Margo out of lurking

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2815 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

Thanks, I have the Sr. Wendy book and will look into the Barrons!

#6 newlifemom

newlifemom

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5196 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

Hey Kristine,

I am searching for help with this book as well. I was wondering how it went?

Can I use it with Omnibus I?

TIA

#7 Margo out of lurking

Margo out of lurking

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2815 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

Hah.

There is always something that starts out as a great idea and never progresses. Dd put her foot down and said she was not.going.to.do.art for high school credit. We didn't do it. (Seriously, I pick my battles, and this was not one to fight.)

Buuuuttt. I still have the book. Dd's 11th grade is pretty much set, but there's the possibility that she'll choose it for 12th grade. (I'm the eternal optimist.)

And then there's always ds . . .

#8 newlifemom

newlifemom

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5196 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:47 PM

Hah.

There is always something that starts out as a great idea and never progresses. Dd put her foot down and said she was not.going.to.do.art for high school credit. We didn't do it. (Seriously, I pick my battles, and this was not one to fight.)

Buuuuttt. I still have the book. Dd's 11th grade is pretty much set, but there's the possibility that she'll choose it for 12th grade. (I'm the eternal optimist.)

And then there's always ds . . .

Ain't that the truth. I bought this book b/c my dn will not be in a Challenge II class this fall [no one else will enroll, and so we don't have one] Plus, it seems to go with the Omnibus program. However, I have no guide really for the Omnibus or that book. It would seem that there is a sort of art appreciation each week with the Omnibus and I thought I would add the Mona Lisa in order to get a hs credit for it. We'll see how that goes. :tongue_smilie:

#9 angela in ohio

angela in ohio

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10199 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:24 PM

This copied horribly, but this is my one semester course this year for dds covering the first half of AML with the Barron's AP book to flesh out vocabulary, explanations, etc. I am going to do the second half of the book next year as Art History II. I am using the practice exercises from the AP book and will have them write a short paper (1-2 pages) on each major topic.

Week Topic Annotated Mona Lisa Barron's AP
1 Introduction p. 0-1 p. 67-70
2 Early History p. 1-7 p. 71-82
3 Egypt, Aegean p. 8-11 p. 83-106
4 Greece p. 12-15 p. 107-124
5 Etruscans n/a p. 125-132
6 Rome p. 16-19 p. 133-150
7 Late Antiquity, Byzantine n/a p. 151-178
8 America, Africa, Islam p. 20-23 p. 179-188
9 Middle Ages p. 24-29 p. 189-214
10 Gothic n/a p.215-240
11 Renaissance p. 30-37 p. 241-252
12 p. 38-45 p. 253-286
14 Baroque p. 46-51 p. 287-310
15 p. 52-57 p. 311-330
16 p. 58-65 p. 331-342
17 Neo-Classicism p. 66-71 p. 343-354
18 American Neo-Classicism, Goya p. 72-75
19 Romanticism p. 76-82 p. 355-370
20 Review/Exam n/a n/a

#10 cjbeach

cjbeach

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:47 PM

http://www.rainbowre....php?&id=025983

This is a 6.50 art history curriculum from RR that I have had on my wishlist forever. It uses The Annotated Mona Lisa as its' main resource book.

#11 newlifemom

newlifemom

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5196 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:00 PM

Angela,

Would you be so kind as to clarify this Lisa Barron and is it an AP study guide or is it a textbook? I am still so new to high school. :tongue_smilie:

#12 angela in ohio

angela in ohio

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10199 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:47 AM

Angela,

Would you be so kind as to clarify this Lisa Barron and is it an AP study guide or is it a textbook? I am still so new to high school. :tongue_smilie:

Sorry, that ran together when I copied. It's "Annotated Mona Lisa" and "Barron's AP" (Barron's AP Art History.)

#13 GothicHipChick

GothicHipChick

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

Has anyone purchased this from RR and used it? If so, how was it? Is it worth it or just use Barron's + the Annotated Mona Lisa?

http://www.rainbowre....php?&id=025983

This is a 6.50 art history curriculum from RR that I have had on my wishlist forever. It uses The Annotated Mona Lisa as its' main resource book.

What's with the ads?