Menu

Annotated Mona Lisa lesson plans??

Hi Kristine - I used this last year, along with Sister Wendy's history of art AND what I used as sort of my spine was the Barrons AP Art History test book. I had my dd read through each period of Art History in Barrons, then read in the two other books about the same period. Barrons then has them do a test and a small essay on each period. I supplemented these with vocab tests, Barrons also has a good vocab listing.

Hi Dooley,

Thanks for the info. My dd is going to be studying for AP art history this year - would you mind sharing your student's AP score? I'd love to know what she earned using your approach. I've bought the REA AP study guide (recommended on College Confidential), and have the AML & Sister Wendy's, along with a lot of other art books.

Thanks!

GardenMom

Hi Kristine - I used this last year, along with Sister Wendy's history of art AND what I used as sort of my spine was the Barrons AP Art History test book. I had my dd read through each period of Art History in Barrons, then read in the two other books about the same period. Barrons then has them do a test and a small essay on each period. I supplemented these with vocab tests, Barrons also has a good vocab listing.

I'm thinking about doing it myself. I've been interested in this for a while and haven't done anything about it. Thanks for sharing.

• 2 years later...

Hah.

There is always something that starts out as a great idea and never progresses. Dd put her foot down and said she was not.going.to.do.art for high school credit. We didn't do it. (Seriously, I pick my battles, and this was not one to fight.)

Buuuuttt. I still have the book. Dd's 11th grade is pretty much set, but there's the possibility that she'll choose it for 12th grade. (I'm the eternal optimist.)

And then there's always ds . . .

Hah.

There is always something that starts out as a great idea and never progresses. Dd put her foot down and said she was not.going.to.do.art for high school credit. We didn't do it. (Seriously, I pick my battles, and this was not one to fight.)

Buuuuttt. I still have the book. Dd's 11th grade is pretty much set, but there's the possibility that she'll choose it for 12th grade. (I'm the eternal optimist.)

And then there's always ds . . .

Ain't that the truth. I bought this book b/c my dn will not be in a Challenge II class this fall [no one else will enroll, and so we don't have one] Plus, it seems to go with the Omnibus program. However, I have no guide really for the Omnibus or that book. It would seem that there is a sort of art appreciation each week with the Omnibus and I thought I would add the Mona Lisa in order to get a hs credit for it. We'll see how that goes. :tongue_smilie:

This copied horribly, but this is my one semester course this year for dds covering the first half of AML with the Barron's AP book to flesh out vocabulary, explanations, etc. I am going to do the second half of the book next year as Art History II. I am using the practice exercises from the AP book and will have them write a short paper (1-2 pages) on each major topic.

Week Topic Annotated Mona Lisa Barron's AP

1 Introduction p. 0-1 p. 67-70

2 Early History p. 1-7 p. 71-82

3 Egypt, Aegean p. 8-11 p. 83-106

4 Greece p. 12-15 p. 107-124

5 Etruscans n/a p. 125-132

6 Rome p. 16-19 p. 133-150

7 Late Antiquity, Byzantine n/a p. 151-178

8 America, Africa, Islam p. 20-23 p. 179-188

9 Middle Ages p. 24-29 p. 189-214

10 Gothic n/a p.215-240

11 Renaissance p. 30-37 p. 241-252