Menu

Large Litters--Give me the facts

Our rabbit had 12 babies yesterday afternoon. She is an excellent mother and so far the little ones are doing fine.

So have you had a animal that had a large litter? Was she a good mom? And how many made it?

Just sort of wondering if we will have losses. Last time she did great and the runt of that litter is our favorite bunny. :001_smile:

I'll get some up soon. They are really tiny still and so cute. There is one that looks to be twice the size of the others and one of the little ones is so very tiny. They are still all alive and doing well. She nursed them for quite some time this evening. I will try to take some pictures in the morning and post them on my blog.

I'd love to hear stories about any large litters of any species. I've heard of cats and dogs having a lot. How'd it go?:001_smile:

Congrats! Can't wait to see the pics. We have a bunny here and the girls would go wild if she had babies.

Our lab has had three litters of 9-10-9. She was a fantastic mommy and we loved every second of it (okay, maybe not every). Because the litters were so big we had to keep track of who was eating and rotate them on her nipples to feed, especially the runt. (we ended up keeping her :D). They get into a routine very quickly and do great.

It's much easier in the beginning when all they do is eat and sleep, but the last four weeks are much harder. Like having a new puppy x 10. But they all have great homes and loved the experience.

Good luck!!

Lisa

What breed of rabbit is she? Inside/Outside?

If you leave her be and not mess too much with the nest you may end up with keeping all of them alive. It will depend on the breed of rabbit. My daughter has been breeding rabbits for 5 years now, we have a very small breed of rabbit. Thus not very large litters, we usually lose one with each litter she has but that is common for dwarf breeds.

She is a mini-rex and we keep her outside my back door in a cage. Yesterday morning she did kick 2 babies out and we picked a third (after reading The Story Guide to Raising Rabbits) and gave them to a nice woman who's mini-rex just had babies and has 3 openings.

I guess rabbits have 8 spots and the book said that they will reject the ones who are considered "extra." She booted the two littliest ones.

So right now I think we have 8 or maybe 9 since I can't get a good count but this number is hopefully more manageable for her. She is an excellent mother and likes lots of attention when she has babies. When she doesn't have babies she is a mean rabbit who likes to bite.

It seems to be going ok right now but I haven't checked this morning yet.

Thanks so much for responding.:001_smile:

:lurk5: I'm watching this since we are going to Houston this morning to pick up rabbits for my kids. The rain slowed us down, so we didn't get the shelter finished yesterday as planned. We've got to finish that before we can leave. It's been raining so no roof isn't a good thing. :) This is our first year to HS, plus we are joining 4H for the first time and getting rabbits. Should make for an interesting year!

I had to go to a funeral this weekend in Wisconsin. So if it stops raining today, I will get pictures up of our little ones.

I guess, one little one got out of the nesting box, and the cage and crawled under the neighbor's fence where the dogs spotted it and our neighbor was able to bring the baby back to us. This little bunny is going to be a lot of trouble if it is running away on adventures at less than a week old.:001_smile:

We did it the first time because my dh thought that we would be up to sustituting rabbit for chicken but we fell in love. We kept two and found great homes for the other three. Two of them live together and are nuetered. We are thinking of getting our little ones fixed as well.

Well, we decided to do a second litter because we had a lot of friends who wanted bunnies the first time around but there wasn't enough. So we decided to do one more litter and got a few more than we thought we would. At least 1/2 of the new babies have homes waiting for them and with a little bit of inquiry I am sure I can find good homes for the rest.

:001_smile:

We did it the first time because my dh thought that we would be up to sustituting rabbit for chicken but we fell in love. We kept two and found great homes for the other three. Two of them live together and are nuetered. We are thinking of getting our little ones fixed as well.

Well, we decided to do a second litter because we had a lot of friends who wanted bunnies the first time around but there wasn't enough. So we decided to do one more litter and got a few more than we thought we would. At least 1/2 of the new babies have homes waiting for them and with a little bit of inquiry I am sure I can find good homes for the rest.

:001_smile:

Ok, I see. I thought it might be for food because I have heard of that. I just kinda wondered what in the world you were going to do with all those bunnies!