Menu

how to help slow readers

My dd is a fairly slow reader. She is slow in her personal reading as well as school reading. She reads difficult works and comprehends them well but she reads too slowly. She had a vision problem when she was younger and couldn't read regular type chapter books until she was almost 9, I think. I don't know if she still has some residual problems which are not enough to require lenses but enough to slow her down, I don't now if it is her being s very auditory child, or something else all together. It is not a problem for her on standardized tests since she reads short selections quickly enough. IN fact, she always was one of the first done when she did group tests. However, with novels and textbooks, her speed is too slow. I know she would like to read faster too.

Typically, to increase fluency and speed, you have the child read books under their current reading level.

But since she reads short passages quickly, I don't know.

What does *she* think the difference is? Are the words too hard? Does her mind wander? Does she lose her place? Is she having a harder time keeping track of the story?

I probably would still have her read some chapter books below her reading level and see how she does with those. What about having her read in short bursts? 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there? It's not enough to really get into the book, but if she reads quickly for short bursts at least it would get her moving through the book.

I noticed my daughter mouthing the words, a big no no! I told her to look at phrases all at once, she is trying it, but a little overwhelmed by it. May be a bad habit to break..... and she is very much the drifter.... would love to get that behind us, it takes her forever to do her school and she misses a lot of outside activities because of it. Hoping for better next year!

The few people I have worked with on the speed reading gained considerable regular reading speed. In fact, it made the difference for one young man between being successful in college and dropping out. Prior to "speed reading," he couldn't finish the assigned reading, read over notes, etc; but afterwards he could.

Anyway, the materials are a bit cheesy and results from people on this board are mixed, but speedreading4kids worked here. And it's cheap and there is a money back guarantee so no harm in trying for a few weeks.

Although for me I don't think of it as a problem. I like to read slowly, I like to ponder the story, I even like to drift off at times. This last thing is what really slows me down. I tend to think about other things as I read. Ask your daughter if she does this...if so...she, like me will have to concentrate on not thinking about other things. I am sure this sounds weird but for me it is how it works. As long as I really concentrate on just reading my speed greatly improves. Now how to make sure I do this...wow you are all going to think I am so strange. Well if I am reading and my mind is wandering I will say stop to myself, close my eyes and say just read. Then continue reading. This usually works for me.

Karen

Karen,

Yep, that is exactly what she does. She says she is studying while she reads. I'm so glad she is making efforts to understand the material, but...... it just takes so long. Which is fine for now, but she will have to find a way to speed things up for college. But she is 10th grade next year, so there is time! (But ds didn't speed up and is paying the price in college, that is why I'm worried about dd).